Who has bought CHEERS when one person isn't a drinker and found it was worth it?

danak13

My mom and I will be cruising together at the end of September.  I like to enjoy my drinks and can easily get my money's worth if I could only purchase one drink package.  My mom has a cocktail here and there but would never consider buying it.  So basically, if I wanted it, I would have to pay for both packages in order to get it.  She would obviously get some use out of it (waters/coffee/a few drinks) but I am wondering, for those who bought two packages with only one drinker in the room, was it worth it?  

It takes about 6 cocktails to break even on the package for one person.  So you would have to drink 12 cocktails to break even.  That means that you would only have a 3-drink advantage over paying cash.  Doesn't seem worth the bother.  Also, given that there are port days, you may not drink as much those days.

12 minutes ago, danak13 said:

My mom and I will be cruising together at the end of September.  I like to enjoy my drinks and can easily get my money's worth if I could only purchase one drink package.  My mom has a cocktail here and there but would never consider buying it.  So basically, if I wanted it, I would have to pay for both packages in order to get it.  She would obviously get some use out of it (waters/coffee/a few drinks) but I am wondering, for those who bought two packages with only one drinker in the room, was it worth it?  

The real question is it worth it to YOU

I would on a shorter cruise because I would drink 12 - 15 drinks a day for 3 or 4 days and my wife and I both get a few bottles of water and a couple coffees each day but anything longer it wouldn't be worth it if she didn't drink.

I like to drink, heck, I'm having a cocktail at this very moment. When I last bought Cheers for a 4 day cruise, I just about "broke even". I don't care what anyone says, if the 2nd person doesn't drink, you have to have some sort of astronomical bar bill to justify buying Cheers for that 1 drinker. You will never convince me that 1 person is getting a good value at $860 for a week. You can barely convince me that 2 people are getting a good value.

When I do a 4 day cruise with the guys (who drink), it's not a bad deal for me. When I do a 7-day with my gf (who doesn't drink), worst investment there is.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, DarthGrady said:

Is it bad that I would probably just drink my 15 and then have my roommate start giving me theirs? :classic_biggrin:

just sailed back in May.  on sea days i usually hit my 15 limit by dinner and then had my wife "buy" my drinks.  On port days i usually hit about 12 drinks.

On 8/28/2019 at 2:47 PM, danak13 said:

I haven't done Cheers, but here are some thoughts to consider:

• If you easily "break even" then you are likely averaging more than 6 drinks per day (plus water, coffee, etc).  Anything over 6 would count towards your mom's portion.
  • If she had the package, would your mom be more inclined to drink (and enjoy it)?  Or would her drinking be the same regardless of cost?
  • If she doesn't want to pay for it, are you willing to pay for both?  If you like not having a bill to worry about at the end, you can always get Cruise Cash, use a Carnival Gift Card, or load cash to your account in the amount of your Cheers cost to avoid a bill at the end.