Brown Water

cindyanne

We just got off a five day cruise on the Paradise.  This used to be our favorite ship but that is another story.  Anyway on the second day I noticed that a wash cloth turned brown when I ran it under the faucet.  Yulk.....we called maintenance and he fiddled with things for a bit and finally said he did not know why the water was discolored.  Long story short---we were given the run around concerning this and finally asked for a different cabin.  When we  were taken to view the new cabin the first thing we did was to turn on the water.....discolored also.  Then and only then did they admit that it was a ship wide problem.  We were given bottled water to brush our teeth with and told that the water was safe just discolored.  The assistant manager did add that even though the water is safe he would not drink it..........serious?  The water stayed discolored the entire cruise......

• Like 1

I'm sorry you had to go through that.  It has happened to us on several occasions on the Pride.  Having to shower in it was disturbing.  Forget filling up the whirlpool tub with that stuff!🤢  We definitely didn't drink it, and we used bottled water for brushing our teeth as well.  People who say they always drink the tap water from their cabins have most likely never seen the stuff that you and I have seen come out of those faucets.🤮  I will never drink ship's tap water.

• Like 1

We have been having the same problem at home with brown water and get run around from the city about what causes it and they say the same thing it is safe. From sounds of it probably will be an issue till it goes to dry dock since probably some rust somewhere and they will have to find source and flush the system. 

Hi Cindyanne

Just curious.

Did it look like rust?

Did they tell you what they thought it was?

Was it something that "settled" if you let it sit in a glass for a while. 

They told you it was ship wide... did you see it in other locations? I am thinking of the washrooms or the showers in the gym.

I gather (tell me if I am wrong) that it wasn't in the water they served at dinner, or at the buffet water stations. I am asking this because if it was ship wide, it should have affected those sources of water as well (I think). 

There would be no rust, as there are no steel pipes, and the storage tanks are lined with epoxy.  Brown or yellow water is most commonly caused on ships by repairs.  The chlorine and calcium carbonate in the ship's water forms a scale on the inside of the pipes, and while the system is full of water and constantly circulating, this scale stays in place.  When the system, or a section of the system is shut down and drained for repairs, this scale dries out and flakes off the pipe walls.  When the water is returned to the system, this loose scale is carried around the ship by the circulation of the water.  However, the branch pipes going to each cabin are "static" legs, meaning there is no flow until you open a valve (sink, shower, toilet), so the scale particles will tend to congregate in these pipes.  When you turn on the water, it will run yellow/brown until all the scale particles are flushed out, generally within 2 minutes.  Calcium carbonate is simple Tums antacid, and calcium hypochlorite the other common scale component is a form of bleach, though the concentrations would be small.

For the water to run continually brown for days on end would most likely indicate that the water was rusty when taken on in port, but since the water is chlorinated prior to going into the ship's tanks, and then while it is being circulated around the ship, it would be safe to drink, but just high in mineral content (iron oxide).

As for being in the water at the dining venues, all of the ice machines, drink dispensers, bar guns, and the water pitcher filling stations on the ship will have carbon filters at the machine, to remove the chlorine that is in the water, not for taste reasons, but to prevent the scale buildup in the machinery.  There is only one "source" of water on the ship, it all comes from a storage tank, and is circulated to main lines that run down each side of each deck, and back to the storage tanks.  It is the same water, and the same water system for all uses and all locations on the ship.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

We had brown water when we sailed on the Fantasy last February. When we turned the water on, it would look fine, but if you filled up the sink or a glass with water, it always had a brown tint. 

Thank you chengkp75 for the explanation. But even if the water is safe, the brown tint can still be unsettling, specially without an explanation. Maybe cruise lines could issue a letter explaining this to passengers if it’s a common occurrence on a particular ship. 

Not to argue the point, but don't all ships in the fleet have desalination systems that purify the water making it potable?  I honestly don't know. I drank the tap water while on our cruise. A LOT of it. Didn't effect me in the least. It tasted better than the water we have here in Arlington. 

6 hours ago, Joe817 said:

Not to argue the point, but don't all ships in the fleet have desalination systems that purify the water making it potable?  I honestly don't know. I drank the tap water while on our cruise. A LOT of it. Didn't effect me in the least. It tasted better than the water we have here in Arlington. 

While all ships have desalination plants, depending on the cruise itinerary, there may not be enough time at sea (you cannot make water within 12 miles of shore, or while anchored) to make all the water being used during the cruise, so some water is loaded in port.

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

While all ships have desalination plants, depending on the cruise itinerary, there may not be enough time at sea (you cannot make water within 12 miles of shore, or while anchored) to make all the water being used during the cruise, so some water is loaded in port.

I didn't know that. Thanks for the explanation.