Hurricane updates

Mattnvick

13 minutes ago, talltree said:

Ok--so I am still on board and they made an announcement that anyone that said they would get off needs to get off now because customs personnel are leaving at 12:30, but this is the interesting part of the announcement--if you do not get off today you will not have the opportunity to get off until tomorrow--which could mean that the rest of us will have to disembark tomorrow.  I'm not sure that is the plan, but that was the announcement.

I heard the same thing. Wish they would clarify the situation for us, it’s sad I get more information here than from our Captain. Also, will MSC give us some compensation? Today is a totally wasted day. What a mess.

And if they do offload us tomorrow, the weather will be significantly worse than it is today, but more importantly our options and timeframe for getting out of the storm’s way will have greatly diminished because we opted to stay onboard. That would not be a safe or wise decision for MSC to make. 

We, the 8/31 cruise are hearing we will sail as planned on 8/31. Just as frustrated as all of you!  The storm has slowed considerably. Sounds like MSC reacted a bit early. It’s hard to predict. Safety first. Saturday and some Sunday flights may be ok.  

Edited by WannaCruise365

3 minutes ago, WannaCruise365 said:

We, the 8/31 cruise are heading we will sail as planned on 8/31. Just as frustrated as all of you!  The storm has slowed considerably. Saturday and some Sunday flights may be ok.  

They can’t have both the 8/31 cruise sail and keep us on board at the same time. But I feel your pain too as someone ready to set sail. The hurricane shouldn’t impact your itinerary .

I have a feeling they will disembark us tomorrow, which makes the most sense for MSC, 8/24 cruisers be damned.

Edited by exm
Grammar

4 minutes ago, WannaCruise365 said:

We, the 8/31 cruise are hearing we will sail as planned on 8/31. Just as frustrated as all of you!  The storm has slowed considerably. Sounds like MSC reacted a bit early. It’s hard to predict. Safety first. Saturday and some Sunday flights may be ok.  

If the storm has now slowed, they must have calculated they can wait until tomorrow and sail away to safe waters before it arrives. Unfortunately, as you say, it's hard to predict and MSC can only react to the weather and POM updates given to them.

Hope everyone stays safe and those waiting to sail get to cruise.

8 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

If the storm has now slowed, they must have calculated they can wait until tomorrow and sail away to safe waters before it arrives. Unfortunately, as you say, it's hard to predict and MSC can only react to the weather and POM updates given to them.

Hope everyone stays safe and those waiting to sail get to cruise.

Listen, I understand. But they are telling us they will take us out to sea, or you can disembark today. “You are family to us” they said. Now plans are changing and the only information I am getting is from here. MSC needs to be straight up with the folks on-board and in my opinion provide compensation for a totally wasted day. Everything except the buffet is closed today.

18 minutes ago, exm said:

Listen, I understand. But they are telling us they will take us out to sea, or you can disembark today. “You are family to us” they said. Now plans are changing and the only information I am getting is from here. MSC needs to be straight up with the folks on-board and in my opinion provide compensation for a totally wasted day. Everything except the buffet is closed today.

If the Port of Miami advised they expected or were preparing to close today, sailing today would be the only option open to MSC. If POM aren't anticipating closure today, there is no reason to sail today and the passengers due to disembark tomorrow will as scheduled. Updates were on the website at 9.30 am, 11:45am and 1pm. I'm not sure they could reasonably update more often, given they are depended on updates from the POM and weather people.

It must be frustrating not having confirmation of exactly what's happening but unfortunately that's the unpredictability of weather, especially hurricanes.

It's unlikely they will provide compensation, apart from refunding missed port fees as the cruise duration hasn't actually been reduced and it's circumstances beyond the control of the cruiseline.

• Like 2

Right.

And CF, not only did we lose a day but we started to make alternate arrangements for the prolonged stay onboard. I almost cancelled my Saturday Miami hotel stay! Although I fully understand this was mostly beyond MSC’s control they should have communicated better and earlier. Why didn’t they announce this morning before people disembarked that we might stay here? I even felt we didn’t hear a simple “Sorry for any inconvenience”. 

Yesterday and today were extremely stressful and today a total waste of a cruise day. Money doesn’t make things right but whatever they are doing now is even worse.

Hopefully they will reimburse the internet package that was supposed to be free. I want to betcha that will be another mess.

3 hours ago, sidari said:

CF ... The cruise duration has-been cut by one day! despite allowing people to remain onboard overnight.

Thd thing is, you still got a 7 day cruise. If you read the contract of carriage, you would be surprised to learn that cruise lines do not have to provide compensation for port substitutions. In this instance, overnighting in Miami was just that. A port substitution. Miami to MSC (or any cruise line) is considered a port of call, even though it is where the guests embark and disembark. If you have ever done a European sailing, those ships don’t have a true home port. Those ships embark and disembark at most ports of call. IMHO no different. 

54 minutes ago, UPNYGuy said:

Thd thing is, you still got a 7 day cruise. If you read the contract of carriage, you would be surprised to learn that cruise lines do not have to provide compensation for port substitutions. In this instance, overnighting in Miami was just that. A port substitution. Miami to MSC (or any cruise line) is considered a port of call, even though it is where the guests embark and disembark. If you have ever done a European sailing, those ships don’t have a true home port. Those ships embark and disembark at most ports of call. IMHO no different. 

If only the buffet was open and everything else was closed including dining rooms, they did not get a 7 day cruise, regardless of port location.

26 minutes ago, smile145 said:

If only the buffet was open and everything else was closed including dining rooms, they did not get a 7 day cruise, regardless of port location.

Dining room was open only for dinner. Buffet for breakfast and lunch. Only one pool was open. Kids club was mostly closed. Plus the stress of us having to see if we can make it home before a major hurricane instead of us being able to ride it out at sea (as promised by MSC last night). And not a single apology let alone any compensation.

Yes, that’s not great MSC. Not good.

Edited by exm

8 hours ago, Cruisergal1208 said:

I feel sorry for those trying to decide what to do. The roads will be packed and gas stations are running out of gas, hotels are full, etc.  Same scenario as during Hurricane Irma.  I'd rather be on a ship in safe harbor than fighting those circumstances. 

Similar problems for us scheduled to board MSC Armonia on 9/2. We are now in Miami and the ship may not go.

40 minutes ago, exm said:

Dining room was open only for dinner. Buffet for breakfast and lunch. Only one pool was open. Kids club was mostly closed. Plus the stress of us having to see if we can make it home before a major hurricane instead of us being able to ride it out at sea (as promised by MSC last night). And not a single apology let alone any compensation.

Yes, that’s not great MSC. Not good.

MSC public relations not doing a good job. They should go out of their way with this BAD  situation.

Its not MSC's fault that the storm slowed down and the course shifted thus resulting in the port remaining open. They are debarking you from your seven day cruise which is complete. However I think they were quick to rush out the letter of "you can stay onboard" and not properly word it as a possibility, rather than the finite option it appeared to offer.

I would have been irritated if the port remained open and they sailed the ship out to sea for several days with it a quarter full from the last cruise and cancelled my trip, which is to start tomorrow.

Edited by DMage

2 hours ago, UPNYGuy said:

cruise lines do not have to provide compensation for port substitutions. In this instance, overnighting in Miami was just that. A port substitution.

I would agree with that IF when arriving in Miami this morning passengers were able to come and go as they pleased as you are on a scheduled port stop.

As i understand they were not.

They either opted to leave in which case it was bye bye take your luggage as you wont be allowed back or you had to stay on. 

Therein lies the difference.

4 minutes ago, DMage said:

Its not MSC's fault that the storm slowed down and the course shifted thus resulting in the port remaining open. They are debarking you from your seven day cruise which is complete. However I think they were quick to rush out the letter of "you can stay onboard" and not properly word it as a possibility, rather than the finite option it appeared to offer.

I would have been irritated if the port remained open and they sailed the ship out to sea for several days with it a quarter full from the last cruise and cancelled my trip, which is to start tomorrow.

They should be compensated for everything on ship being closed one of their cruise days.

4 minutes ago, DMage said:

Think about the people who disembarked this morning thinking the ship would leave (probably with a Saturday flight). They might have had the expenses of a hotel or stayed in the airport? Not a single word this morning we would stay in Miami, just every 30 minutes a warning to get off the ship before 12:15pm at the latest.

I understand Mother Nature is outside of MSC’ control and yesterday they really had the best intentions but they screwed up royally today. 

I don't think MSC handle this great. They  let passengers know last night at 8.30 pm. And they told us we must decide by 11:00.  To leave the ship a day early in Miami or go back out to sea and return tbd. At 11:10 the forms and information packet was deliveries to our storeroom mentioning we could get free internet to reschedule our flights and etc.  It was a long night and morning getting backed and everything rescheduled.  Now we find out that the ship is not leaving the port of Miami until tomorrow.  Then why the big push to get us off the ship. We could of slept the night there got some real sleep and walked off the next day.  MSC there lack of timely information. We spent extra $500+ for the hotel and car rental since we cannot change our flight. We also purchased the fun pass. We only used $78 out of $180 and they said they said we cannot get refund. MSC definitely last time for me.

They said to us they will sail out today and not stay over night in Miami. If I were known they will stay overnight. We will stay on board not stay in hotel. 

I have to say that it sounds like the usual bad planning by MSC but also a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Someone clearly decided that if passengers left on Friday that the ship could well leave early on Saturday why else tell people to be onboard by 12.30 knowing that some flights land later that MSC have booked passengers on!

MSC had the same info on the storm as everyone else and this looks like a headless chicken move to come back a day early.

It also reminds me of the mess they made for guests on the first ever TA for Divina when they decided to tell guests after final payment that they intended to take the ship to Miami a day earlier than planned but failed to give a reason or refund port charges for missing Nassau.

Over 1,000 US guests left the ship rather than stay onboard overnight plus all shops were closed.

Many times decision making is not an MSC forte.