China visa

CaseyJo

Yes, I believe it is. I don’t think you’ll be allowed to board the ship without it, but your Cruise Personalizer Travel Summary is a good place to look to see if Princess agrees. If you need a visa, it will say so there, or in an Emergency Notification you've either already received or will be receiving from Princess (via email). 

I’ve gotten China visas twice in my life, and they have been the hardest ones I’ve had to get. I used a visa service for both since I don’t live near an embassy or consulate. 

• Like 1

The same rule will apply whether you go ashore or stay on the ship, but China has introduced a visa-free system for tourists who arrive in one of the designated ports (Shanghai is one) and stay less than 144 hours. Check this out on the internet, but you do not have to apply for anything or pay any fee.

I mention that Princess was very slow in getting 'onboard' with this visa-free rule and was insisting that passengers have an expensive visa, even when it wasn't required. I suggest you print out the information from the Chinese government in case Princess claims you need a visa.

• Like 2

Which Chinese port are you stopping in? For example, no visa is required if the port is Hong Kong. When we were on a recent Crystal cruise when we got to Shanghai, you were covered under a "ship visa" if you booked one of their excursions. Not sure if the ship visa covered those who stayed on the ship. I believe it did. If I were you I would call Princess directly to get the specifics from them regarding your specific cruise and any visa requirements.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

21 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Which Chinese port are you stopping in? For example, no visa is required if the port is Hong Kong. When we were on a recent Crystal cruise when we got to Shanghai, you were covered under a "ship visa" if you booked one of their excursions. Not sure if the ship visa covered those who stayed on the ship. I believe it did. If I were you I would call Princess directly to get the specifics from them regarding your specific cruise and any visa requirements.

Good advice, call the cruise line, we went to Japan and China last fall. Before China we had a stop in South Korea, a man travelling solo had to leave the ship in South Korea as he did not have a Chinese visa, the cruise line  collected the passports ahead of time to check to make sure everybody has a visa.  You can get Chinese visas valid for as long as ten years for same price as a single entry for as long as your passport is good, for instance my passport is good to 2026 and that is as long as my Chinese visa is good for, also good for multiple visits.  

• Like 1

This 144-hour visa free law has been in place in China for at least three years. I am horrified, but maybe not totally surprised, that a cruise company would still be insisting that passengers get a visa for China when they are just visiting on a cruise and not touring the country. Here is the information from the Holland America Line site.  (Sorry the post is so long, but I thought it might be easier than just providing a link).

I suggest you check with Princess to see if they will give you an reasonable answer. If they insist that you need a visa it is probably safer to get one even though it is not an easy process and it is expensive.

PEOPLE’S REPUBLIC OF CHINA
A visa is required for China prior to sailing for most voyages unless qualifying for a visa exemption. More than one exemption may be applicable.
Please verify your passport validity. China requires passports to be valid for six (6) months beyond the date of arrival.
Guests with at least one year validity left on their passport may automatically be issued a multi entry visa by the Chinese Consulate.
***If Shanghai is at the beginning or end of your cruise- 144 hour policy may apply***
144 Hour Visa Exemption Policy for embarkation in Shanghai-
Guests embarking in Shanghai must communicate their intention to use the visa exemption to their airline prior to travel.
144 Hour Visa Exemption Policy for disembarkation in Shanghai-
Guests disembarking must produce valid travel documents and onward air, vessel or train tickets with confirmed seats to a third country within 144 hours of arrival.

There are 53 countries eligible for the 144 hour visa exemption: Albania, Argentina, Austria, Australia, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Arab Emirates, Ukraine, United Kingdom and the United States.
If your nationality is not listed above you must obtain a Chinese visa prior to sailing.

For more information about the 144 hour visa exemption please visit http://www.sh-immigration.gov.cn/listPageEn.aspx?lx=40&id=4414.

The Shanghai immigration inspection authority has set up dedicated inspection lanes for those using the 144 hour visa exemption within the entry inspection areas at all ports of entry. If you are eligible for the exemption you will need to provide the immigration officer with your passport and onward tickets leaving China within 144 hours of arrival. Once immigration confirms that you qualify for the exemption, they will process the application.
The immigration station will issue a temporary entry permit to those guests that have been approved for the exemption. The temporary entry permit will have the deadline for exit and the administrative areas you will be allowed to visit while in China.
****If arriving and departing Shanghai with the ship- 15 day visa policy may apply****

Guests arriving and departing Shanghai with the ship should verify if they are eligible for the 15-day visa exemption by visiting http://www.sh-immigration.gov.cn/listPageEn.aspx?lx=40&id=4735. To be eligible guests must be booked on a tour of two (2) or more persons from Holland America Line or from an authorized tour agency in Shanghai to be permitted to go ashore visa-free.
If booking a private tour you must verify that the travel agency has been approved by Shanghai immigration inspection authority to facilitate the visa-free entry process. The agency would also be required to declare to Shanghai immigration inspection authority the passenger manifest of the eligible tour group prior to arrival. Once approved by Shanghai immigration inspection authority, they would then undergo the procedures for visa-free entry.

Other ports that may be visited under the 15 day visa exemption are limited to the following- Liaoning, Hebei, Tianjin, Shandong, Jiangsu, Zhejiang, Fujian, Guangxi, Hainan, Qingdao and Beijing.

If you find that the visa exemptions listed above do not apply to your situation you will need to apply for a regular visa prior to sailing if you wish to go ashore.
Holland America Line provides guests with the following link to VisaCentral as a service to assist with the collection of the necessary documents for this visa. You may also use another visa service or collect the necessary documents on your own. We are not able to offer assistance with obtaining the Chinese visa onboard the ship. http://hollandamerica.visacentral.com
If you would like to reach VisaCentral by phone-
US Citizens: 866 788 1100
Canadian Citizens: 888 665 9956
Dutch Citizens: 070 315 0201
German Citizens: 030 230 959 175
Australian Citizens: 1902 251 370
Swiss Citizens: 41 (0) 31 313 20 20
Austrian Citizens: 43 1 22811
United Kingdom Citizens: 0207 593 6207
Brazilian Citizens: 55 (11) 3065-0655
Mexico Citizens: (52-55) 5282 0020

Edited by Aus Traveller

How does the above 144 hour China visa work if the entry or exit port is Hong Kong rather than Shanghai? Also, since the OP said they are stopping at just one China port, that gives the impression they are not beginning or ending their cruise in Shanghai which means the 144 hour rule may not apply. That's why it's important for the OP to contact Princess to find out exactly what will be required of them.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

@Ken the cruiser

How does the above 144 hour China visa work if the entry or exit port is Hong Kong

It doesn't as in terms of all Chinese regulations Hong Kong is not classified as a Chinese port.  If the ONLY port you are visiting in "CHINA" is Hong Kong no visa will be required.

The 72 hour or 144 hour visa is only applicable if you are visiting ONE Chinese port and then leaving China altogether or going to Hong Kong.

If you are visiting more than one Chinese port you have to have a visa.  You cannot fly into a Chinese city and get the waiver visa if the cruise ship visits another Chinese port (other than Hong Kong).

We were in Yokohama last year and there were Chinese Immigration staff behind the check in desks.  Anyone without a Chinese visa was automatically referred to them.   I can tell the story and reason if anyone emails.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

How does the above 144 hour China visa work if the entry or exit port is Hong Kong rather than Shanghai? Also, since the OP said they are stopping at just one China port, that gives the impression they are not beginning or ending their cruise in Shanghai which means the 144 hour rule may not apply. That's why it's important for the OP to contact Princess to find out exactly what will be required of them.

The 144 hour rule has nothing to do with starting or ending your cruise in Shanghai. If you visit Shanghai for one day, that is less than 144 hours. The key problem is that Princess doesn't seem to be aware of the Chinese government's rules on visas. 🙂

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@Ken the cruiser

How does the above 144 hour China visa work if the entry or exit port is Hong Kong

It doesn't as in terms of all Chinese regulations Hong Kong is not classified as a Chinese port.  If the ONLY port you are visiting in "CHINA" is Hong Kong no visa will be required.

The 72 hour or 144 hour visa is only applicable if you are visiting ONE Chinese port and then leaving China altogether or going to Hong Kong.

If you are visiting more than one Chinese port you have to have a visa.  You cannot fly into a Chinese city and get the waiver visa if the cruise ship visits another Chinese port (other than Hong Kong).

We were in Yokohama last year and there were Chinese Immigration staff behind the check in desks.  Anyone without a Chinese visa was automatically referred to them.   I can tell the story and reason if anyone emails.

Correct. No visa is (or ever was) required to visit Hong Kong, therefore the visa waiver does not apply. Originally the visa waiver was 72 hours (maybe four years ago) and that was extended to 144 hours. You also have to stay within the administrative area of the city (say Shanghai), but no-one visiting for one day would want to go further anyway.

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I have never heard of a "ship visa" for China, whether or not you were on an excursion. For citizens if the 53 eligible countries (including USA and Aust), China operates a visa-free system for visits of less than 144 hours to nominated cities.

I don't know if you are thinking of Russia 🙂, where if you book on a tour, you are not required to get a visa, but you have to supply a lot of information before you visit to make it visa-free.

With the 144 hour visa, what you have to know is that if your port prior to your China port, and the port following are in the same country, the 144 hour visa doesn't apply.  You can't go from Japan to China and back to Japan...or South Korea - China - South Korea.  Even if your cruise were to start in Shanghai, and you had a stop in Japan (for example) on your flight, and the port after you China port is Japan, the 144 hr visa would not apply.  EM

Further to my post above.

On reading the information I 'cut and pasted' earlier I see it refers to an authorized tour. However, I suggest this might be Holland America's take on the situation. We have visited China twice since the 144-hour visa-free rule came in and it did not require a tour to be booked. However, is possible that this has been a recent alteration by China to the terms and conditions of a visa-free visit.

Check with Princess because you will have to go with what they say.🙂

9 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I have never heard of a "ship visa" for China, whether or not you were on an excursion. For citizens if the 53 eligible countries (including USA and Aust), China operates a visa-free system for visits of less than 144 hours to nominated cities.

I don't know if you are thinking of Russia 🙂, where if you book on a tour, you are not required to get a visa, but you have to supply a lot of information before you visit to make it visa-free.

Crystal had one that initially covered everyone who went on one of their excursions when we stopped in Shanghai this past May on our 30 day SE Asia cruise. They later told everyone they were covered by it.

Unfortunately for us our cruise was initially supposed to also go to Nansa, China besides Hong Kong and Shanghai which meant we had to get a visa. Then they later cancelled Nansa after we got the visa which meant we spent all that money for a 10 year China visa for nothing. That's why I always recommend contacting the cruise line regarding visa issues as things can change. 

Case in point, New Zealand starting Oct 1 now requires US citizens and others to get a NZeTA (travel authority) before going to their country. We leave for a HAL cruise on Oct 4th where we arrive a day early before boarding. You just never know when a country's visa requirements are going to change.

@Essiesmom

South Korea - China - South Korea.

I would recommend anyone thinking of going to South Korea BEFORE a visit to Chine look into the situation very carefully.   It has been known that cruise itineraries have had to drop a visit to Pusan/Busan at the "request" of the Chinese Authorities!!

6 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@Essiesmom

South Korea - China - South Korea.

I would recommend anyone thinking of going to South Korea BEFORE a visit to Chine look into the situation very carefully.   It has been known that cruise itineraries have had to drop a visit to Pusan/Busan at the "request" of the Chinese Authorities!!

Excellent advice thanks for sharing.

Tony

@Ken the cruiser

That's why I always recommend contacting the cruise line regarding visa issues as things can change. 

Personally I would always approach the Consulate of the country concerned rather than the cruise line.

Case in point, New Zealand starting Oct 1 now requires US citizens and others to get a NZeTA (travel authority) before going to their country.

Did you get this from the Cruise Line?   I knew about this a month ago as it was being promoted on TV here in New Zealand and I actually did a thread about it.

@PescadoAmarillo

....but your Cruise Personalizer Travel Summary is a good place to look to see if Princess agrees.

However on my CPTS for a cruise which visits Shanghai and Xiamen Princess says:-

CHINESE VISA REQUIREMENT

A Chinese visa is not required for most guests if participating on Princess-organized shore excursion in Shanghai and Xiamen. Guests who wish to sightsee on their own outside of a Princess shore excursion must obtain a single-entry Chinese visa prior to the voyage. Guests participating in independent shore excursions should contact their tour operators to see if a visa may be obtained on their behalf. Guests who wish to stay aboard in both Shanghai and Xiamen will not require a visa.
When applying for your visa, please include a copy of your booking confirmation which includes your cruise itinerary. Failure to include this document with your application may result in significant delays in processing your application or denial of the visa. While a single-entry visa is required, you may wish to consider a double-entry visa (valid for six months) based on when you apply for your visa. Most U.S. guests will automatically receive a multiple-entry visa, valid for 10 years.

Personally I would be very wary of those and intend to check with the Chinese Embassy.

To me this is a real case of "Caveat Emptor"

16 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@Ken the cruiser

That's why I always recommend contacting the cruise line regarding visa issues as things can change.

Personally I would always approach the Consulate of the country concerned rather than the cruise line.

Case in point, New Zealand starting Oct 1 now requires US citizens and others to get a NZeTA (travel authority) before going to their country.

Did you get this from the Cruise Line?   I knew about this a month ago as it was being promoted on TV here in New Zealand and I actually did a thread about it.

I agree that people should contact the country re visa requirements.

The problem I see with visiting China is whether or not the cruise line (in this case Princess) have the correct information. If Princess staff believe passengers have to have a visa, they can deny boarding unless the passenger pays a penalty to get a last-minute visa. I saw this happen. From memory, the pax had to pay around AUD$800 while the ship was in Hong Kong before it went to Shanghai. Someone posted earlier, that a passenger left their ship in Korea because he didn't have a Chinese visa.

Maybe someone planning a cruise that includes a Chinese port could try to communicate with Princess by writing to senior executive and sending details from the Chinese government.

PS I see from your later post that Princess now has the same info as Holland America - that a visa is not required if you are on a ship-organised tour and also that you don't need a visa if you stay on board.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, casofilia said:

@Ken the cruiser

The consulate will have 100% accurate information.

The cruise line will have information about what they require, no matter what lesser requirement the consulate has.

In other words, if the consulate says you do not need a visa and Princess says you do, get a visa. Princess may be wrong, but they can enforce their wrong information and not let you embark on the ship without a visa if they think you need one.

• Like 1

Personally I would rather go to the expense of getting the correct visa through the Chinese Embassy/Consulate rather than being faced with what we saw in Yokohama.

======================

I will post what we found when boarding the NCL Jewel in Yokohama and also when on board.

The Jewel had travelled north from Singapore to Yokohama via some Chinese ports, I do not know the actual itinerary as I was not on board.   The information was that about 200 people did not have any Chinese Visa.  The first “Chinese” port, where a visa is NOT required, was Hong Kong and there wasn’t a thorough check of those who were on board starting from Singapore and so B2B. 

When Chinese Immigration, who I presume boarded in Hong Kong, were checking passports before arrival in the first “real” Chinese port, again I assume Xiamen they found that 200-220 people did not have a Chinese visa.   As it was too late to do anything about it the passengers were allowed to stay on board during all port visits in China.   The Jewel then went on to Yokohama.

We were boarding in Yokohama for a cruise from Yokohama to Shanghai via Hong Kong and Xiamen.  When we were at the check-in desk we were held up as “our” electronics were not working.   Next to us were an American couple who handed over their passports and the shoreside person asked if they had a visa.  A negative answer so the couple were told they would have to discuss the matter with a Chinese official as no one was being allowed to board without one.   That got a storm going!!!

The shoreside person went “backstage” and came out with a very large Chinese Immigration official who had her hand on the gun on her hip!!  The Americans started to bluster but the Chinese cut them very short very quickly, “You want to visit China then you have to agree to our requirements.”   “On this ship the requirement is for a Full Visa as you are visiting two Chinese ports”.   The Americans started again but were again "requested" to listen to the possibilities.

“Firstly no one without a visa will be allowed to stay on board during the visits to Chinese ports,”

“Secondly the ship leaves in 4 hours and the manifest has to be completed 2 hours before that and you will NOT have time to go to Tokyo to get an emergency visa.”

They were then given two options.

“Firstly do not board”

“Secondly board and sign a waiver to leave in Hong Kong.  Any hotel bills and/or costs of changing airline tickets will be at your own costs.”

By then we had gone through our check-in and were on to the ship!!

====================================

As we approached Hong Kong there was quite a lot of luggage in the corridors.

42 minutes ago, caribill said:

The consulate will have 100% accurate information.

The cruise line will have information about what they require, no matter what lesser requirement the consulate has.

In other words, if the consulate says you do not need a visa and Princess says you do, get a visa. Princess may be wrong, but they can enforce their wrong information and not let you embark on the ship without a visa if they think you need one.

That is exactly what I am saying. I am pretty sure that Princess is wrong, but it doesn't matter. If they say that they require you to have a visa, then you had better have a visa.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, casofilia said:

@Ken the cruiser

Nope. Actually heard about it on our HAL Roll Call. When we subsequently asked our TA about it, he hadn't heard about it either. Finally asked Ms Google and found the NZ website where we could fill out the forms and pay the $47 pp for the Travel Authority. 

We did the Grand Asia cruise on Sapphire Princess this last Christmas- our stops were Singapore (embark), Ko Samui, Thailand. Laem Chabang (Bangkok), Thailand. Ho Chi Min City, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Keelung (Taipei,) Taiwan, Busan, South Korea, Nagasaki, Japan and Shanghai, China.  We stayed for an additional 4 nights in Shanghai.  The only Visa we needed was for Vietnam.  As US passport holders we took advantage of the 144 hour rule and did not get a Chinese passport.  We did not have any problems at all- it was an amazing cruise!