Clicquot champagne

Mudhen

11 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

I think "blue top" is quite pleasant. Not Clicquot, mind you, but much better than the Jacquart(sp?) we used to get. I didn't care for that one at all....

Agreed.  I’m not a big bubbly drinker but I enjoy the bottle they have icing down when we board.  Kinda says “welcome home.”

• Like 2

They should think about supplying each cabin with a bottle of bubbly to be used while packing....might ease the pain!

Short funny story... On another line, I had started to pack and to ease the pain, I asked John to go down to the nearest bar and get me a glass of champagne. He was back in a flash and said they wouldn't give it to him....WHAT! That's not possible!

About 30 seconds later, a knock at the door. There stood a steward with a fresh ice bucket, a bottle of champers and two glasses.

"We didn't think your husband should have to carry for you....." Big giggle....gotta love it!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

They should think about supplying each cabin with a bottle of bubbly to be used while packing....might ease the pain!

Short funny story... On another line, I had started to pack and to ease the pain, I asked John to go down to the nearest bar and get me a glass of champagne. He was back in a flash and said they wouldn't give it to him....WHAT! That's not possible!

About 30 seconds later, a knock at the door. There stood a steward with a fresh ice bucket, a bottle of champers and two glasses.

"We didn't think your husband should have to carry for you....." Big giggle....gotta love it!

Alcohol and packing...bad combo for me.  🤪    I’d have no idea what was in which bag...probably end up with dirty socks in my carry-on...  🧦 🧦

The trip home and packing up doesn't bother me at all. It's all gotta go home and it doesn't really matter what's in what bag. It's all going to the same place and all of it get's thrown in the wash at home. Maybe not as easy if there's a post cruise "do"....

I've enjoyed this thread and maybe the special Regent powers that be, will see that there might be a desire for some quality

champers in a split (for extra cost, of course) at some of the bars.....

• 2 months later...

I’m the last of the cruise ship big spenders -
So lucky my DW still loves me tender -
Or, at least she hasn’t returned me to sender! 
Of which I’m so proud, I bust my suspenders!
So when it is time to go down to sea in a pointy-ender -
I care not whether we dock or tender.
And whilst relatively reserved for one of my gender,
Perhaps I’ll go on a Jacques Cliquot bender,
When finally we board the splendiferous Splendor! 

The "widow" would faint at being called Jacques !!

Mudhen - you are a genius!  When I see that dreaded cover on the bed on the last day at sea my instant reaction will be to call the butler and order champagne.  And before I say "Santé" I will say - "This one's for Mudhen" !!

On a more serious note - Heidsieck is not a bad brand of champagne.  There are better (Veuve Clicquot Brut for one) but Heidsieck's "Blue top" is very drinkable.  I plan to prove this starting 14 March...

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Tiramisu:

Please let me explain

and I hate to be a pain;

but, whether in Spain 

or in the plains 

or sitting in the rain

It’s called Veuve Cliquot Champaign

Z and TB

How perfect!!!  Unfortunately, we have two bottles of Veuve Cliquot and neither of you are onboard to share it with us🍾. It is not as much fun as when we sail with Linda, John, “Z” and Pam!  And, we hope to ssail with Bill and Annemarie in 2021 (Tokyo to Tokyo) and Linda and John in 2020

The Grand Buffet (or whatever it is called) is amazing.  Passengers that have not experienced this before were raving about it.  After 5 or 6 mimosa’s, I’m feeling quite good.  Thee buffet is but one reason that we sail on Explorer vs the other Regent ships.

Internet remains a challenge which is why I am not even trying to post photos.  Looking forward to dinner tonight.  In the past, I have tried to avoid stating when we have dinner with officers.  My “new” self is more open.  So, tonight, in Pacific Rim, we are having dinner with both of the Captain and G.M. We have a long standing relationship with Andreas and have a lot in common with the Captain (kitties).  So, it should be fun.

Want to mention that, despite storms and somewhat heavy seas, the temperature outside is mild.  My DH is currently rearranging the furniture on the huge balcony so that he can shave in good light.  

I think that I’ve posted this before but it bears repeating (and it is neither positive or negative).  If passengers sail on Explorer as their first Regent cruise, then book another because it was so great, may find the other ships disappointing.  This is something that many passengers have expressed.  I tend to look at Navigator vs. Explorer.  While Navigator is small and some believe is a “cozy ship”, they have one specialty restaurant while Explorer has three.  Explorer has a lovely forward lounge while Navigator has one specialty restaurant and no forward lounge.  

Whichever ship you choose to sail on, Regent has wonderful crew members, great service and amazing suites (except for Mariner ........ their entry level suites are very small compared to other Regent ships).  IMHO, Explorer is much better for a world cruise than either Mariner or Navigator.  In fact, we have a friend that does World Cruises but is doing the 2021 World Cruise  on a different cruise line due to the itinerary.  Speaking for myself, we have done most of the WC ports already (On Regent, other cruise lines and land travel.)  The few ports that we have not visited, are not ports that are of interest to us.)

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Haha 1

Yes, we have been on all the Regent ships and many times on Navigator.  I have to admit when we went back on Navigator after an Explorer cruise, we were taken back for a very short time.  There is a big difference. Luckily, for us we adjusted quickly and loved Navigator experience once again.  

11 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

The "widow" would faint at being called Jacques !!

Mudhen - you are a genius!  When I see that dreaded cover on the bed on the last day at sea my instant reaction will be to call the butler and order champagne.  And before I say "Santé" I will say - "This one's for Mudhen" !!

On a more serious note - Heidsieck is not a bad brand of champagne.  There are better (Veuve Clicquot Brut for one) but Heidsieck's "Blue top" is very drinkable.  I plan to prove this starting 14 March...

Too cute, Hami !!!! And thank you for thinking of us...haha! Must agree about the Blue Top. We've been happy with that.

I'm still hoping that by some miracle, the powers that be on Regent will see all of this and consider doing splits of Clicquot. I'd be more than happy to pay the surcharge. Since John doesn't really enjoy champers like I do, ordering a bottle just won't work. Also the "what lounge should we go to tonight" kind of spontenaity (sp) would be spoiled, being stuck in one lounge with the bubbles!

No matter where or when you sail, I'll hear you cracking that bottle of La Dame......it's the happy sound!

Best,

L&J

We are actually planning to drink TWO bottles of "The Widow" - at least.  One will be in our Suite when we board.  Then we have our 55th Anniversary during the cruise and I am going to order a second one. (Not for the same night!!) .  Cost (with the discount) is not that much more than we pay in our local Coop Supermarket here.  So I think we can splurge.  But I am happy to drink the Heidsieck...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

.... Speaking for myself, we have done most of the WC ports already (On Regent, other cruise lines and land travel.)  The few ports that we have not visited, are not ports that are of interest to us.)

Aah yes, Jackie!  But you have never been to Switzerland.  We have ports here too (on our lakes!).  Hope you will come and visit one day.

Edited by Hambagahle

1 hour ago, Trevor Fountain said:

But cheaper in many other outlets.

If you buy 6 bottles or more in Tesco by tomorrow it comes in at £26.25 per bottle  😊 (equivalent to €31 or $34US)

Tesco_VC_Dec.thumb.jpg.8eabf534588cfaef276c6b8da1149bd3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, flossie009 said:

But cheaper in many other outlets.

If you buy 6 bottles or more in Tesco by tomorrow it comes in at £26.25 per bottle  😊 (equivalent to €31 or $34US)

Tesco_VC_Dec.thumb.jpg.8eabf534588cfaef276c6b8da1149bd3.jpg

There isn't a chance in hell that I would purchase champagne off a supermarket shelf.

btw anyone who doesnt know why really ought not to be wasting their money on champagne.

1 hour ago, Trevor Fountain said:

There isn't a chance in hell that I would purchase champagne off a supermarket shelf.

btw anyone who doesnt know why really ought not to be wasting their money on champagne.

Please enlighten me, as I do not purchase champagne and seldom drink it.

From where do you purchase champagne (and other wine)?

Edited by flossie009

2 hours ago, Trevor Fountain said:

Then don't move to Switzerland.   Supermarkets are where we buy 99% of our imported wines and spirits!  Local wines we buy from the vignerons.  Denner has the best prices but I don't like Denner as a "shopping experience".  Coop is next best - I go there.  Migros won't sell any alcohol.  Turnover of champagne is relatively high in Switzerland as well.

5 hours ago, Trevor Fountain said:

The following article may prove enlightening:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/aldi-champagne-veuve-monsigny-champagne-brut-international-wine-spirits-challenge-a8407741.html