Repricing for Price Drops - Learned Something New

Sherri914

I learned something new today.  If you call to reprice your booking due to a price drop, they allow you to still pay the original port fees & taxes from your original booking.  That is awesome.  I didn't realize that.  I assumed everything had to be repriced. 

My cruise next November is now $219 less than my current reservation.   But I noticed the port fees / taxes were quite a bit higher, making the savings less than $100 overall.  Glad I called!  The rep said they don't reprice the port fees / taxes.  They just apply the discounted pricing and that's that.  So I saved another $219 on my Allure cruise next year.  Not huge - but hey, it's still a nice savings.  

And considering I'm paying less for a 2020 cruise than I paid in 2015, I'm super happy about that.   Just wanted to share in case anyone else wasn't aware that they don't reprice the port fees & taxes.  

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Yep, same thing also works against us in reverse.  If the port fees and taxes are lower they won’t give you the lower price.

You're right.  I wonder if the port fees & taxes increase after big storms.   I don't know who determines what those fees are.  But I know that they've not changed at all since I originally booked months ago until today when I checked -- and they were much higher suddenly.  Just curious.   

If the port fees and taxes go down from your original booking and the overall price of the cruise is lower and you have a refundable deposit booking then you can just cancel the original booking and re- book at the new lower price. When I told the RCCL agent on the phone that this was my intention he put me on hold and came back a few minutes later to advise me the taxes and port fees had been adjusted on the original booking to the lower amount!  

• 4 months later...

I typically check once a week to see if the price has gone down at all.  This past week, every time I check, it says there are no cabins available for 3 people.  I have a hard time believing this is accurate.  The cruise is still 6 months away.  Anyway, I guess I can't price check any longer. 

46 minutes ago, DaiC01 said:

Hi sorry to high Jack the thread but does anyone know if repricing works for UK bookings?

If you book a cruise whilst onboard a cruise they will honour price stops and also the ability to change ship/date without penalty.

But otherwise it depends on who you speak with and whether they got out of the right side of the bed or not!!

The info about the taxes and fees remaining constant whether the price goes up or down though is correct too in 🇬🇧 

1 hour ago, little britain said:

If you book a cruise whilst onboard a cruise they will honour price stops and also the ability to change ship/date without penalty.

But otherwise it depends on who you speak with and whether they got out of the right side of the bed or not!!

The info about the taxes and fees remaining constant whether the price goes up or down though is correct too in 🇬🇧 

Well the guy I spoke to even went and asked his manager. The answer was the same that it's not policy to allow repricing in the UK market.

3 hours ago, DaiC01 said:

Well the guy I spoke to even went and asked his manager. The answer was the same that it's not policy to allow repricing in the UK market.

Call again you may get a different agent and either get some discount or a stateroom upgrade.

If we notice a worthwhile price drop we always give them a call usually eventually with success.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Deeliteful said:

I tried this week to get new pricing on my cruise. I only booked last Sunday but then a big promotion with lower prices and $200 obc
RCL Wouldn’t change anything for me 😥

Call again and speak to somebody else.

If at first you don’t succeed etc.

We've  had pretty good success when it’s been worthwhile.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DaiC01 said:

Obviously, but I dont understand why they have a different policy for different counties. 

I think it's due to the different consumer laws. We booked when it was £75 pp dep so just cancelled that one and made a new one as we're saving quite a bit

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stokie33 said:

I think it's due to the different consumer laws. We booked when it was £75 pp dep so just cancelled that one and made a new one as we're saving quite a bit

Yip your probably right but it must be that the US has a consumer law that forces RC to accept reprice request but not in the UK, but its still annoying that RC don't apply the same policy to its UK customers.

After all they still make interest on the differential  amount until its changed, they could even offer to put the refund as OBC so they make a little more.

8 hours ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

Call again you may get a different agent and either get some discount or a stateroom upgrade.

If we notice a worthwhile price drop we always give them a call usually eventually with success.

We have to go through the UK call centre {which appears to not be in the UK} and the 3 agents I've spoken to claim to have never heard of repricing.

49 minutes ago, DaiC01 said:

We have to go through the UK call centre {which appears to not be in the UK} and the 3 agents I've spoken to claim to have never heard of repricing.

I use a freephone number no idea where it goes to but I’m pretty certain it’s not in the YK.

I think it really depends who you speak to and how helpful they want to be.

In all honestly I’ve only tried to get a price drop on three occasions but in the end we were successful each time.

2 hours ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

I use a freephone number no idea where it goes to but I’m pretty certain it’s not in the YK.

I think it really depends who you speak to and how helpful they want to be.

In all honestly I’ve only tried to get a price drop on three occasions but in the end we were successful each time.

Pleas read U.K. not Y.K.