Has there been a significant decline at Cagney’s over the last few years? (poll)

tomservo

State of Cagney’s Poll  

187 members have voted

1. 1. Have you seen a significant decline in the last few years?

• Yes
    • No
    • No change in quality

The only consistency is the inconsistency. Even ships with the same menus serve food that never seems to be the same twice.

I like a strip steak and have had good luck with those at Cagney's on multiple ships. They did not have them on the Breakaway TA. The rib eye I ordered instead was the worst piece of meat I have ever been served in a restaurant. SO tough and stringy I could barely cut it or chew it. After trying to cut at multiple angles I finally found a corner I could actually eat. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Zippeedee said:

The only consistency is the inconsistency.

Even ships with the same menus serve food that never seems to be the same twice.

I like a strip steak and have had good luck with those at Cagney's on multiple ships.

They did not have them on the Breakaway TA. The rib eye I ordered instead was the worst piece of meat I have ever been served in a restaurant.

SO tough and stringy I could barely cut it or chew it.

After trying to cut at multiple angles I finally found a corner I could actually eat. 

Sometimes, me thinks steaks would have been better served as ground beef.🙂

Edited by $hip$hape

43 minutes ago, $hip$hape said:

WE happened to see our steaks being brought out (and placed on a side table)

at the same time our appetizers were being served.  

By the time our main course served, they were cold.

Lack of management.

Of course that would upset any of us: I do thing even though Cagney's maybe isn't the favorite of all of us and maybe it has gone down hill, but I would say, your experience is probably the exception to the rule. 

1 hour ago, newmexicoNita said:

with that overall attitude about NCL we too are glad you have moved on. I would ask you about the lousy service for starters but I can imagine how long you might go on about that. As for privileged inconsiderate passengers and less perks, I don't think most of us have any idea what you mean about that. :classic_sleep:

Glad your glad... Rah rah sis boom ba

• Like 1

I'll put it this way... I successfully stayed on my diet on my June cruise because I was confident that nothing that would ordinarily tempt me was really worth the calories, and if I wanted to cheat, I should wait and do it at home with better options.   

Haven't had service issues, just a ratcheting down of overall quality of the food. In the past few years we reached the realization that if the on-board restaurants were located at home,  we wouldn't be repeat customers.  Surprisingly, it's kind of made cruising more fun, because with the disparity between specialty and regular dining room quality decreasing, we stopped caring about reservations and timing and it freed up a lot of mental energy. 

We went to Cagneys for the first time on the Getaway in 2015. It became one of my favorite meals. I then had Cagneys again on Getaway in 2016 and it was good but not as amazing as the first time. My third time was on my honeymoon last December on the Jade (Dec 14 on a 10 night so not sold out and not busy). They COMPLETELY messed up our meal. Brought the wrong steak for my husband and brought my steak well done when I ordered Medium Rare. The sides came out well after I had finished my steak. I was just on the SUN a few weeks ago and went to Cagneys. It was awful. My steak came out medium well but cold. Again I ordered it medium rare. I chalked it up to being a 3 nighter where the quality may not be the same. I do have it booked again for this December on Escape.......fingers crossed it is somewhat better. I don't know if the Free At Sea has made the difference in lackluster quality and service.......

40 minutes ago, escentialssoycandles said:

Cagney's ...

We went for the first time on the Getaway in 2015.

It became one of my favorite meals.

I then had Cagney's again on Getaway in 2016 and it was good but not as amazing as the first time.

My third time was on my honeymoon last December on the Jade (Dec 14 on a 10 night so not sold out and not busy).

They COMPLETELY messed up our meal. Brought the wrong steak for my husband and brought my steak well done when I ordered Medium Rare.

The sides came out well after I had finished my steak. I was just on the SUN a few weeks ago and went to Cagneys.

It was awful.

My steak came out medium well but cold.

Again I ordered it medium rare. I chalked it up to being a 3 nighter where the quality may not be the same. I do have it booked again for this December on Escape.......fingers crossed it is somewhat better.

I don't know if the Free At Sea has made the difference in lackluster quality and service.......

I play poker.

Sometimes, one gets crappy cards.

Edited by $hip$hape

11 minutes ago, Paul Bogle said:

I've won hands with crappy cards on occasion.

A crappy meal is always a loser.

' depends on how hungry you are (?)

"You may be eating your words."

But, I understand.

There are too many other food choices.

By the end of a cruise, I lose my appetite.

Edited by $hip$hape

7 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

Probably just being pedantic, but the poll itself is a little confusing.

Surely options 2 and 3 are the same. If the question is whether there has been a drop in quality then “No” and “No Change in quality” are the same thing.

4 hours ago, Phaedrus78 said:

Aren't "No" and "No change in quality" the same answer?

I know, I know, the same thought occurred to me right after I posted it. I was trying to include a 3rd option for those who’s answers weren’t quite yes or no but my thought process wasn’t fully baked. I think I intended it to be something like yes, no it hasn’t declined because it’s stayed the same, and no because it’s actually gotten better. From a polling nerd perspective, I’m curious why the people who picked 2/3 picked one over the other. 🤓

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tomservo said:

I know, I know, the same thought occurred to me right after I posted it. I was trying to include a 3rd option for those who’s answers weren’t quite yes or no but my thought process wasn’t fully baked. I think I intended it to be something like yes, no it hasn’t declined because it’s stayed the same, and no because it’s actually gotten better. From a polling nerd perspective, I’m curious why the people who picked 2/3 picked one over the other. 🤓

Yeah sorry, I didn't mean to give you too hard of a time.  It's just my old Political Science classes showing.

I'd be curious about that split between the two "no" answers as well, but I'd probably chalk it up to just picking anything that isn't "Yes".

What really surprises me is the overall 50/50 split.  Judging by some of the threads around here, I figured this would be about as balanced as posting a poll about an assault weapon ban on an NRA website.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Falckon said:

That's what I told my wife when it was served. It looked more like a sirloin.

From the pic it looks an awful lot like a sirloin to me. I eat a lot of ribeye so they won’t be able to fool me. Ribeyes are composed of 2-3 muscles, which on a ribeye steak are referred to as the eye and the cap. The cap itself is one the tastiest parts of the cow IMHO. Ribeyes are usually thinner than sirloin steaks, and more oval whereas sirloin are more squared off. 

Here’s a video with more info

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, $hip$hape said:

' depends on how hungry you are (?)

"You may be eating your words."

But, I understand.

There are too many other food choices.

By the end of a cruise, I lose my appetite.

I agree. By the last day I couldn't be bothered with breakfast, I just wanted to get off the ship. What I saw for breakfast in the Haven looked a LOT like what they had in the Garden Cafe. The only difference was you needed to go get it yourself in the cafe.

2 minutes ago, $hip$hape said:

I'd be curious,

so far , what are the results from this poll?

Theres a “Show Results” link right there at the bottom of the poll window. But in case that’s broken for you it’s currently 53% Yes, so 47% Not Yes. 

3 minutes ago, elwood_98034 said:

What I saw for breakfast in the Haven looked a LOT like what they had in the Garden Cafe

As an aside I was very disappointed in the breakfast pastries in the Haven. They always seemed hard and stale. I’ve heard they’re the same ones from the buffet (haven’t tried them from the buffet so I can’t compare). Maybe they’re better earlier in the morning (7am?)

31 minutes ago, tomservo said:

Hahaha - All depends on interpretation...

I took it as:

Yes - There has been a Significant Decline

No - There's 1 of 2 Choices:  Decline...  But not Significant /  or Improvement

No Change in Quality - No Change, neither Positive nor Negative / neither Improvement nor Decline

Edited by Von & John

4 hours ago, tomservo said:

As an aside I was very disappointed in the breakfast pastries in the Haven. They always seemed hard and stale. I’ve heard they’re the same ones from the buffet (haven’t tried them from the buffet so I can’t compare). Maybe they’re better earlier in the morning (7am?)

No, the 7:00am pastries were the same. I did a trip down one morning to try the buffet, but the noise and the crowds put me off. The food looked exactly the same. 

We are on the Breakaway now and went to Cagney’s tonight for dinner. It was not a great dinner. We are in the Haven , I had a MUCH better steak in the Haven restaurant a couple of nights ago then I had tonight at the steakhouse. We aren’t going to do this upgrade dining packages anymore , we will just stick with Haven dinners. That being said , my other comment would be we have noticed some changes in the Haven area as well. It feels a bit “watered down “ compared to past Haven cruises. Some of the dining/ drink service is almost non existent at times. Lunch on day 1 was terrible. We didn’t even eat it. 

The service in the courtyard is bare bones, orders incorrect ( simple things like ordering onion rings and getting fries) no one comes back to check on you , offer you a drink refill. Dinner service seems to ok but other times it is not up to the standard of past experience. 

6 hours ago, jjmahaney said:

The service in the courtyard is bare bones, orders incorrect ( simple things like ordering onion rings and getting fries) no one comes back to check on you , offer you a drink refill. Dinner service seems to ok but other times it is not up to the standard of past experience. 

I found service in the courtyard on the Getaway to be ok, not great.

We were on the Jewel in August.  To my great disappointment, Cagney's was the single worst meal of the entire week.  Every person in our group had a bad entree (three steaks and one piece of fish), our sides were wrong, and the service was horribly slow.  While some may claim that this is just a sign that everything has gone downhill on NCL, we had great meals at Teppanyaki, La Cucina, and Le Bistro, and perfectly fine meals at Chin Chin and the main dining room.  Cagney's was a complete outlier.  And it was not just a "one off."  Two people in our group gave it a second chance another night, and reported having the worst ribeye ever.  It was sad, since I have always been a really big fan of Cagneys.  

2 hours ago, zorbarick said:

Cagney's was a complete outlier.  And it was not just a "one off."

That’s one of the reasons I’m so hesitant to eat there. From everything I’ve read on here, it seems to have the greatest chance of having a bad meal and/or bad service.