Has there been a significant decline at Cagney’s over the last few years? (poll)

tomservo

State of Cagney’s Poll  

187 members have voted

1. 1. Have you seen a significant decline in the last few years?

• Yes
    • No
    • No change in quality

On 9/15/2019 at 1:50 PM, gmbhardy said:

Maybe it’s just bad luck but our experiences at Cagney’s have been mediocre at best. We find the filets better at Le Bistro and La Cucina.

My husband loves the filet at Le Bistro!  He also thinks its better than Cagney's filet.  I assume you can get a similar peppercorn sauce at Cagneys?  I typically won't order beef at Le Bistro as I'm more of a duck or seafood type when I eat at French restaurants. Overall, we are happy with Cagney's so we always have at least one dinner there. 

I mentioned this in the Encore thread, but part of the problem is the quality of the beef went down. They say on the menus that they use "Premium Black Angus beef", which doesn't mean anything in terms of higher quality than normal, it's just another way of saying "beef". It's like saying you only serve "Premium farm-fresh milk from Holstein cows" - aka "milk". Pretty much all milk comes from Holstein cows who live on farms. At best it's just pointless marketing speak, at worst it's meant to fool the unsuspecting. They're trying to make you think they serve Certified Angus Beef (which does mean something, it is an actual standard that is enforced) when they don't.

If this provides any evidence for a decline, I found an old menu from about 6 years ago. They very clearly did used to serve CAB beef back then. Submitted for your approval...

image.png.5ce944b93b6f53e9383bdccd76f1acf1.png

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/19626_STEAKHOUSE_Web_Epic_051613.pdf

Edited by tomservo
  • Like 1

Probably just being pedantic, but the poll itself is a little confusing.

Surely options 2 and 3 are the same. If the question is whether there has been a drop in quality then “No” and “No Change in quality” are the same thing.

This becomes relevant when, as is the case at the moment, the total of options 2 and 3 is more than option 1.

Edit: Actually, being even more pedantic, I suppose it could be argued that option 2 means that there has been no significant drop whilst option 3 means there has been no drop at all (ie exactly the same or better), but I’d better stop there, as I think this is rather more analysis than a snap poll on an Internet forum really needs. 🙂

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 1

We ate at Cagney's once, on the Gem, a couple of years ago. 

We had a bad experience from start to finish.  Lobster bisque had a strange color and even stranger taste.  It almost tasted like it was going bad.  Ribeye steaks were on the thin side, and overcooked.  Sides were just meh.  Dessert pastry had a raw crust.

It was actually so bad that we vowed never to go again. 

We went to Le Bistro the next night, where we had an incredible meal!

11 minutes ago, dznymom said:

We stopped going to Cagney's a few years ago because it was no longer what we would consider even a good steakhouse.  We go to Le Bistro twice now on most cruises.  Once for a good steak and once for something else.   

Or you could grab a half dozen friends, the cruise director, the hotel director and a few girls from the cruise staff for a private dinner in Teppanyaki.

AmIright?

(Hard to believe that it has been 10 years since THAT cruise!!) 😲

1 minute ago, SeaShark said:

Or you could grab a half dozen friends, the cruise director, the hotel director and a few girls from the cruise staff for a private dinner in Teppanyaki.

AmIright?

(Hard to believe that it has been 10 years since THAT cruise!!) 😲

That was so much fun and the food and company were fantastic!  10 years, really?  We must be older than dirt now!

10 hours ago, NJGeorge said:

Cagney's just like the whole NCL cruise experience has gone down hill.

Cheap food, lousy service , less perks and more over privileged inconsiderate pax.

We have moved on.

Good for you. I trust you’re  a happier person now!

Cagney's used to be my favorite specialty restaurant. We were on the Escape last week and I ordered my favorite, the rib eye steak. Unfortunately, it was the toughest steak I've had in my life, and I told the manager that. He offered to replace it with a small fillet. I've attached a photo, which shows the lines of gristle running through it. We were on the Pearl in April and I was served the worst piece of prime rib I've ever had. So yes, I would say that the quality of food at Cagney's has gone way down hill.

IMG_0662.JPG

5 minutes ago, Falckon said:

Cagney's used to be my favorite specialty restaurant. We were on the Escape last week and I ordered my favorite, the rib eye steak. Unfortunately, it was the toughest steak I've had in my life, and I told the manager that. He offered to replace it with a small fillet. I've attached a photo, which shows the lines of gristle running through it. We were on the Pearl in April and I was served the worst piece of prime rib I've ever had. So yes, I would say that the quality of food at Cagney's has gone way down hill.

IMG_0662.JPG

That is a funny looking ribeye. As in, it doesn't look at all like a ribeye.

11 hours ago, NJGeorge said:

Cagney's just like the whole NCL cruise experience has gone down hill.

Cheap food, lousy service , less perks and more over privileged inconsiderate pax.

We have moved on.

with that overall attitude about NCL we too are glad you have moved on. I would ask you about the lousy service for starters but I can imagine how long you might go on about that. As for privileged inconsiderate passengers and less perks, I don't think most of us have any idea what you mean about that. :classic_sleep:

3 hours ago, Goldconnection said:

Maybe it is just us but DH and I have never had a great, to die for meal at Cagneys. Most have been just "OK" and others were down right horrible (something I would not feed to a dog). It is what it is, mass produced food. 

no I don't think it is just you: I would never say we have had a horrible meal as you explain it, but I don't remember ever being totally impressed either and it always seems to be very crowded.  

32 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

no I don't think it is just you:

I would never say we have had a horrible meal as you explain it,

but I don't remember ever being totally impressed either

and it always seems to be very crowded.  

WE happened to see our steaks being brought out (and placed on a side table)

at the same time our appetizers were being served.  

By the time our main course served, they were cold.

Lack of management.

Edited by $hip$hape