Balloon drop

I just read that Princess is discontinuing the balloon drop due to environmental concerns. I read some of the comments and, as expected, they ranged from agreeing with the new policy to totally disagreeing and claiming that the balloons do not have any negative effects on the environment.

Do you think other cruise lines like Royal Caribbean will follow suit?

I have read that latex balloons take over 4 years to biodegrade and that balloon remnants have been found in sea life like turtles.

I am not saying that our garbage is seeking its way into the oceans... but the latest craze of showing a few events of sea life with mass produced plastics is a little over-blown.

For instance, the great garbage patch in the pacific ocean is made up of about 85% fishing gear. 

• Like 1

I remember when you could shoot skeet of the back of the ship with a shotgun; yes a real shotgun. Oh, and you use to be able to hit golf balls off the back.  I always had to laugh whenever I saw the episode of Friends where George pulls the golf ball out of the whales blow-hole. 😂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mitz18 said:

I remember when you could shoot skeet of the back of the ship with a shotgun; yes a real shotgun. Oh, and you use to be able to hit golf balls off the back.  I always had to laugh whenever I saw the episode of Friends where George pulls the golf ball out of the whales blow-hole. 😂

Sorry, Seinfeld not Friends......

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mitz18 said:

Oh, and you use to be able to hit golf balls off the back.

I remember this as well. The balls however were constructed to be made out of biodegradable material that would dissolve with fish food inside.

34 minutes ago, Bearbear05 said:

I hope they discontinue this but for a selfish reason. I have a severe latex allergy and this is a concern for me on my upcoming cruise.

I’ve been seeing a lot of balloon drops recently. You might want to check the compass for the day/time. The drop is sometimes  around midnight on the first evening.   It is not on every ship. 

If you sail  during other holidays, Halloween especially, there were likely to be balloons  as decorations on board. 

M

44 minutes ago, Bearbear05 said:

I hope they discontinue this but for a selfish reason. I have a severe latex allergy and this is a concern for me on my upcoming cruise.

How does having a balloon drop on a cruise affect your allergy?  Just don't go to the event.

1 minute ago, crewsweeper said:

How does having a balloon drop on a cruise affect your allergy?  Just don't go to the event.

My allergy is inhalation and I can't be around latex. Many people have latex allergies. They can vary in severity. Mine happens to be very severe. It is a cumulative allergy that can get worse with each exposure. Many healthcare workers have it due to super exposure. It is awful as I am always on alert. I immediately lose my voice and start with a cough that progresses to inability to breathe. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I’ve been seeing a lot of balloon drops recently. You might want to check the compass for the day/time. The drop is sometimes  around midnight on the first evening.   It is not on every ship. 

If you sail  during other holidays, Halloween especially, there were likely to be balloons  as decorations on board. 

M

I've called and it is on my profile that I have a latex allergy.  My only concern is that we will be on for valentines day. A little concerned but I will have to see what happens.

4 hours ago, Drock20J said:

I am not saying that our garbage is seeking its way into the oceans... but the latest craze of showing a few events of sea life with mass produced plastics is a little over-blown.

For instance, the great garbage patch in the pacific ocean is made up of about 85% fishing gear. 

The fishing gear is also being addressed.

1 hour ago, Bearbear05 said:

My allergy is inhalation and I can't be around latex. Many people have latex allergies. They can vary in severity. Mine happens to be very severe. It is a cumulative allergy that can get worse with each exposure. Many healthcare workers have it due to super exposure. It is awful as I am always on alert. I immediately lose my voice and start with a cough that progresses to inability to breathe. 

Thank you for explaining. 

1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

M

Yes it is possible there may be a balloon or two on Halloween ... Symphony 2019..

IMG_3362.thumb.JPG.4e6e7493f10de28700e1f35d7e14f716.JPGIMG_3361.thumb.JPG.9fdb203d1b592d3e5fe778f25975e9c2.JPG

6 hours ago, mitz18 said:

Actually wasnt that long ago. I remember in 80-90's skeet shooting/Golfing off back of Royal ships. Not sure when they switched but even back then the Golf Balls were Biodegradable-Fish Food