Random Notes, Navigator, Montreal-NY, 10/3-10/15/19, LIVE!

Mr Rumor

7 minutes ago, orvil said:

I'm going to have to go buy a six pack of the Fever Tree tonic and see what the hoopla is all about.

These products seem to be less sweet than those produced by Schwepps or Canada Dry, for example.  At least that's how it seems to me.

2 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

These products seem to be less sweet than those produced by Schwepps or Canada Dry, for example.  At least that's how it seems to me.

Interesting.  I only tried it once but I found it sweeter, and kind of bland.  I like Canada Dry myself, although anything with real quinine is usually okay.

I am not sure that Fever Tree (great though it is) has "real" quinine but Schweppes does.  I get frequent leg cramps, especially after flying (and yes, I use the compression socks!) and a few slugs of Schweppes with its quinine takes care of the cramps.  My doctor here told me about that and I am SO glad he did!

Fever Tree ginger beer is remarkable!!

Rich -- you have had a great cruise and I thank you SO much for the wonderful photos (especially of the colours in the trees) and the detailed and informative narrative.  Travel safely home the three of you and here's hoping that we can sail together again some day.

Gerry

• Like 2

Thank you, Gerry, and I hope we will!

On July 18, 1776, Col. Thomas Crafts, one of the Sons of Liberty, read the Declaration of Independence to a cheering throng from this balcony (Old Boston Statehouse, 1713).  The Declaration continues to be read every year on July 4 from this same spot.

07DD2C60-70F4-4B4C-A040-10FD62DA40C2.thumb.jpeg.b048802c9d715a0b62aa80321af4d06e.jpeg

As the photo shows, we were treated to a great day, weather wise—Boston’s first in a week.  Cruise ships weren’t even allowed to dock this past Thursday, Friday and Saturday morning due to weather conditions. 

Shauna was a strolling advertisement for Regent.  The spry Little Boss flashed this smile three hours and three miles into our walk!  (Freedom Trail tour guide Mike is off Shauna’s left shoulder.  His commentary was crisp, clear and super-informative.)

DB955984-5CDB-40B3-91B1-AA06C380272D.thumb.jpeg.a847e9f214d7c5cd8d7d366bb9cf1153.jpeg

Edited by Mr Rumor
  • Like 3

Hi Rich!

First of all, a very happy belated birthday to Shauna! I have been following your thread whenever I get a free moment, super busy at work but I logged on to let you know that after yucky weather all last week, (as also experienced in Boston) the forecast for Tuesday is spectacular for the sail into NYC. If you have not already done so, and hopefully Shauna can get up early in the morning, but do not miss the scenery as the ship sails past the Statue of Liberty and up the Hudson to the pier. I live in the Big Apple and each time I have the privilege of sailing past the Statute of Liberty and the southern tip of Manhattan, it gives me goosebumps. Our leaves are just starting to turn colors which adds to the beauty of it all.

Hopefully the ship will not arrive too early - if it is on schedule, the sun should just be rising as you sail past the Statute of Liberty. Just remember to dress warmly, it will be chilly and it is always windy on the river.

I'll be waving to you from my apartment as you pull into port!

gnomie  😀

• Like 2

Not long ago, we had a big discussion on "of all of the ports you've visited, which one is your favorite".....geez that's kinda tough, but I guess not only as a New Yorker, but as American as well, there was little hesitation when I said that my favorite was NY harbor. Something about Lady Liberty, that I've seen dozens of times, that just does it to me. Forget about the fact that both John's and my family came thru there (some at Ellis Island, others at Castle Garden) really doesn't matter so much, but the general welcoming arms of this country does it every time. Won't get into the politics of that last statement, but you can read between the lines.....Ok....done!

So Rich and family, DON'T MISS IT! She's spectacular!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gnomie1 said:

Hi Rich!

..... I logged on to let you know that after yucky weather all last week, (as also experienced in Boston) the forecast for Tuesday is spectacular for the sail into NYC. If you have not already done so, and hopefully Shauna can get up early in the morning, but do not miss the scenery as the ship sails past the Statue of Liberty and up the Hudson to the pier. I live in the Big Apple and each time I have the privilege of sailing past the Statute of Liberty and the southern tip of Manhattan, it gives me goosebumps. Our leaves are just starting to turn colors which adds to the beauty of it all.

I'll be waving to you from my apartment as you pull into port!

gnomie  😀

Gnomie - Thanks so much for the "cheerie and positive" weather report!  We'll be boarding Navigator in the early afternoon, along with "Mudhen", "Kwajgal", "California Sea Lion", "Begin The Beguine",  and many other excited cruisers - both past "Regent Vets", as well as many "First-timers".  We will toast you as well, from the pool deck, with Champagne in hand! Thanks very much to "Mr. Rumor" as well, for "setting the table" for us with a fresh pallet-load of Fever Tree and for ably taking care of Navigator for us prior to our embarkation.  To paraphrase Ray S., "it's going to be a "glorious cruise"!  Best Regards.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

@pingpong1 I think we need nametags to meet  when we board.....

Hi, Kwaj - I completely agree!....Great minds think alike ((Remember, we're all "intelligent people"))  🙄 In fact, I've already bought a couple of packs of the "peel & stick" type that will just temporarily stick onto a shirt/blouse/jacket, etc. and I also have some blue "Sharpie Markers" for us to write our names on.  I'll have those with me in my "hand carry bag" that I'll carry them onto the ship with me, when I come on board.  I'll have those name tags with me up on the pool deck on the first afternoon.  Best Regards.

6 minutes ago, pingpong1 said:

Hi, Kwaj - I completely agree!....Great minds think alike ((Remember, we're all "intelligent people"))  🙄 In fact, I've already bought a couple of packs of the "peel & stick" type that will just temporarily stick onto a shirt/blouse/jacket, etc. and I also have some blue "Sharpie Markers" for us to write our names on.  I'll have those with me in my "hand carry bag" that I'll carry them onto the ship with me, when I come on board.  I'll have those name tags with me up on the pool deck on the first afternoon.  Best Regards.

Will look for you...for sure!

Krew Kapers, Navigator style, was a big surprise tonight—no folk dances and more hip hop and dance pop!  Newly promoted CR server Maggie—none other than Krew Kaper’s Dance Captain—was front and center on the high energy opening number, “HandClap,” by Fitz and the Tantrums.

3C8669B8-2CAF-4A70-B6A9-7CBA77FFEEE7.thumb.jpeg.765b1776a4405365cd5d53ebc266a6d0.jpeg

• Like 2

Good morning as we near our last port, Newport.

The waning hours  of a cruise may seem an odd time to go “random” with a post, but the title of this blog does give me that leeway!

On the subject of officer stripes, the captain boasts the most, four and a half, followed by the Staff Captain and General Manager with four.

But did you know there is a tier just under four—three and a half, the second stripe thinner than the others?

The officers who qualify for the 3.5 stripes are the Doctor, Human Resources Manager, Staff Chief Engineer, Chief Electrician, Chief Purser, Food & Beverage Director, and, believe it or not, the Cruise Director.  (Regent CDs are not issued uniforms, however.)

F&B Director Vlad points out his

three and a half stripes.  Vlad has

been sporting them for about a year now, since his well-deserved promotion from Restaurant Manager.  Glad I could finally congratulate you in person, Vlad!

6CA5937A-941F-43AD-BF9F-AD97F711DFD4.thumb.jpeg.001bd226479d6924cd976b3308eada6e.jpeg

• Like 2

Gnomie and Linda, thank you for your posts about the Navigator’s NYC sail-in!  We wouldn’t dare miss it and Lady Liberty!  What a great cap to a wonderful cruise this will be.  We’ll bundle up and savor every second!  (And, gnomie, we’ll be waving back!)

Enjoy Newport! Our daughter and son in law live there. It's a wonderful town full of history and so many things to see. It has a rich maritime history as well....both with the military and of course, the competitive sailors (cue Eizabeth and Bob) as well.

Even tho the season is just about over, you should see lots of what we call "cocktail wagons" (giant, almost cruise ship size, private vessels) and some of the bigger racing yachts. They'll be headed for warmer climes in the next week or so, if they're not gone already.

Have fun!

J&L

• Like 1

Packing continues apace.  Shauna is amused watching mom and dad scurrying around from the comfort of the couch.  She was a champ on the Cliff Walk and up and down The Breakers’ stairs this morning.  Her reward was a nice long nap.

We just learned that our wonderful stewardess Suzanne (Philippines, fourth Regent contract) has been assigned to the Splendor!   On January 23 Regent will fly Suzanne from the Navigator in Melbourne to Ancona, Italy where she will join the  Splendor in Ficantieri’s Ancona shipyard.  Her and her fellow stewardesses’ charge will be setting up the furniture and preparing the cabins. “This will be my first time on the opening team,” she said  said.  “I’m excited!”  Ginny and I look forward to catching up with Suzanne when we board the Splendor a little less than four months from now!

28BFEA9B-18EF-4473-937B-2B7EC469D864.thumb.jpeg.1cb09d1f47dde073cf4ff4d6ff37e8a7.jpeg

Edited by Mr Rumor
  • Like 4