Empress OTS... pros/cons?

Thank You Twangster.

I do like the separate beds version best as it makes the room seem bigger.

There is no place for me to request separate beds for now. Maybe when check in becomes available? I will try calling to see if I can set it up that way.

Thanks again. Those pictures really answered my question.

2 minutes ago, nemesees said:

Thank You Twangster.

I do like the separate beds version best as it makes the room seem bigger.

There is no place for me to request separate beds for now. Maybe when check in becomes available? I will try calling to see if I can set it up that way.

Thanks again. Those pictures really answered my question.

The bed configuration preference is no longer on the website.  Just speak to your stateroom attendant when you meet on Day 1 if you need the bed changed.

• Like 1

As mentioned, there's no way to pre-request the beds to be split apart. (Even if someone makes a notation on your reservation, that information won't be conveyed to your room attendant before the cruise.)

I just leave a note on the bed in case I don't see the room attendant the first afternoon. It's always done by the time I return from dinner, and probably half the time it's done even before dinner.  

Even though I'm solo in the room, I still prefer to have the beds split apart -- combining all the walkway area together in the middle makes the room seem much larger, and it also allows me to use one bed for setting out my beach bag or whatever while using the other bed for sleeping.  

• Like 1

Yes I do like that split apart option.

In my opinion, they SHOULD have the configuration selection available during check-in. Would be easier for the attendants as they wouldn’t  have to combine two together, if they were already apart at the end of the previous cruise, just to separate them again a few hours later.

We love Empress of the Seas. If you're excited about traveling aboard a classic old liner with beautiful teak decks and plenty of views of the seas you will adore Empress. 

Pros

No lines, short walk and you everywhere you need to be, lovely promenade deck with lounge chairs, many cozy spots to relax, read with windowed views of the sea, old school feeling, friendly crew and delicious food, ability to dock at smaller ports.

Cons

Small cabins, no Diamond lounge, no bells and whistles. 

If you're looking for a relaxing, easy going vacation with that fun Royal Caribbean vibe and the ability to dock in smaller ports Empress of the Seas is your ticket. 

If you're more interested in on board attractions like Surfrider, i-fly, bumper cars book a Quantum or Oasis Class ship. 

Jonathan

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I think that COIVD-19 is a great opportunity to get rid of Empress and Majesty and send both ships to the ship graveyard or to Thompson Cruises for which these ships would almost considered as new 😉

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

I think that COIVD-19 is a great opportunity to get rid of Empress and Majesty and send both ships to the ship graveyard or to Thompson Cruises for which these ships would almost considered as new 😉

or donate the ships to the Navy for use as hospitals?

43 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

possibly, but I’m going to get a little political and wonder if they will wait until the next election to see if they can restart Cuban cruises, as Empress was brought back to do.

33 minutes ago, Alter Ego said:

possibly, but I’m going to get a little political and wonder if they will wait until the next election to see if they can restart Cuban cruises, as Empress was brought back to do.

If Cuba should be possible again, could they not use a Vision or Radiance Class ship?

11 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

If Cuba should be possible again, could they not use a Vision or Radiance Class ship?

I’m not an expert on this issue, but ask yourself why they didn’t use a Vision or Radiance class ship in the first place.  Why would they bring back Empress and invest in her refurbishment?  Her size.  Only Empress and later Majesty were able to do Cuba.

But I’m just throwing out the idea.  

6 hours ago, Alter Ego said:

Why would they bring back Empress and invest in her refurbishment?  Her size.

Like all other decisions, it was likely a financial one - they could make more money leaving the Vision class ships on their existing itineraries and add a ship to the fleet for Cuba.When that was not enough, they diverted Majesty for Cuba sailings. I think the ships being used wore out their newness on that rouse before the shutdown of cruises to Cuba - the prices were dropping quite a bit.

@Biker19 So Vision class can fit in all of the Cuba ports? I really don’t know - I thought that’s why they brought back Empress in the first place, so I like to be corrected (as long as in a respectful manner LOL!) 

I just think Royal may want a contingency in place in case those ports open up again.

Just now, Alter Ego said:

So Vision class can fit in all of the Cuba ports?

Havana, yes, not sure about the others. Ships of Vision size from other lines routinely visited Havana. Empress' size may be need for some of the more exotic stops in Cuba.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Alter Ego said:

@Biker19 So Vision class can fit in all of the Cuba ports? I really don’t know - I thought that’s why they brought back Empress in the first place, so I like to be corrected (as long as in a respectful manner LOL!) 

I just think Royal may want a contingency in place in case those ports open up again.

Over the next years you will experience less demand for cruises and Maybe in around 2-3 years from now we will be back at levels before the COIVD-19 crisis. By then you have various new ships joining the fleet with which you can steer the ofering by either retiring more ships or not.

Since Cuba was the absolute highlight for such cruises, RCL saw at the time that since there really the destination is the highlight and not the ship you could do with a old ship. Now that Cuba is gone RCL tried to use the advantage of a small ship to offer New England cruises that go up to Montreal for which other ships in the fleet would be to big, nevertheless still at atractive prices.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

Over the next years you will experience less demand for cruises and Maybe in around 2-3 years from now we will be back at levels before the COIVD-19 crisis. By then you have various new ships joining the fleet with which you can steer the ofering by either retiring more ships or not.

Since Cuba was the absolute highlight for such cruises, RCL saw at the time that since there really the destination is the highlight and not the ship you could do with a old ship. Now that Cuba is gone RCL tried to use the advantage of a small ship to offer New England cruises that go up to Montreal for which other ships in the fleet would be to big, nevertheless still at atractive prices.

I'm booked on a September Canada cruise on Empress, and it's round trip from Montreal. If Canada allows ships in their ports by September, and if Empress is still sailing on that itinerary - I still want to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Very Helpful thread as we are musing booking for Fall 2021 via the FCC we will get from opting out of our August Jewel cruise. The r/t Montreal voyages have such great itineraries and getting to/from the embarkation port is drivable for us! If we can snag 8664 that would be a big savings over a jr. suite and there would always be the chance of switching to one of those if the price comes down.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2020 at 9:04 AM, LXA350 said:

I am booked on the Empress for the 8 night Eastern Caribbean on Nov. 28, 2020.  This will be my first time aboard her.  I have sailed 5 times on the Majesty and have always loved her.  I sail solo many times, so I don't need a large cabin.  On the NCL Getaway, I have stayed in a Studio cabin which is really small, but perfectly adequate, so I expect the inside cabin on the Empress will be adequate as well.  Both these ships serve a purpose for RCI and probably will be around at least for a few more years.  I was lucky enough to visit Havana aboard the NCL Sun in April, '19.  The Sun is 150 feet longer than the Empress, so I know that larger ships can dock there.  She is also wider across the beam.  I'm looking forward to sailing the Empress, as I have seen her up close from the outside and think she is a pretty ship.  Eventually, both these ships will have to be retired.  I hope that a new or newer small ship or ships will replace them.

• Like 2

On 4/12/2020 at 9:04 AM, LXA350 said:

I disagree. I think in light of Covid-19 a ship like Empress is very appealing because she is much smaller.

Furthermore, Empress is a wonderful ship and I hope she continues to sail as part of the Royal Caribbean fleet for many years to come.

Jonathan 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

An update:  I have booked the Dec. 6 Western Caribbean cruise aboard the Empress.  This will be my first B2B and I'm really looking forward to it.  I've looked for a thread devoted to B2B cruises, but haven't found one.  These two cruises will cover the Eastern and Western Caribbean for a full 14 nights.  I've been to all the ports before except for Puerto Plata, DR and Tortola, BVI.

Any suggestions on excursions in these two parts?

Edited by DavidinFLL