Some thoughts on the Queen Mary 2

frickwg

12 hours ago, exlondoner said:

It can be quite leisurely, though, if you tell them your deadline, I have found they are often much speedier. Even so, there's the pub, or Café Carinthia, or the Chart Room, or the pool bar place, if open, or room service, all of which seem more agreeable, though of course the choices are much more limited.

Is there lunch in the Chart Room?

At home our lunch usually consists of a bowl of soup and either a couple of Ryvitas (crackers)  or we will share a sandwich so we are quite happy to go to the buffet and get the same.  However, I have been known to enjoy a plate of chips (French fries) on occasion as well 🤣

On 10/12/2019 at 3:22 PM, VK3DQ said:

Afternoon Tea

I dont think you have had afternoon tea unless you have been to Reids Palace (Belmond Hotels) in Funchal Madeira

Regards

John

Whenever I am in London, my sister insists I join her at the Cavendish, St. James - at least one afternoon. They do it fairly well.

• 2 weeks later...

Kings Court is fine, except at lunchtime on embarkation day.  It’s bigger than you think and generally less crowded towards the front of the ship, because most passengers come in from staircase C. It also helps to eat an early breakfast and early lunch, which works better anyhow especially with a first sitting dinner.

If you’re travelling alone, take a library book to reserve a table, unroll the napkin and put it on the seat, and go get some food such as a bread roll from the nearest station to put on the table before you go hunting for your meal.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, IB2 said:

Kings Court is fine, except at lunchtime on embarkation day.  It’s bigger than you think and generally less crowded towards the front of the ship, because most passengers come in from staircase C. It also helps to eat an early breakfast and early lunch, which works better anyhow especially with a first sitting dinner.

If you’re travelling alone, take a library book to reserve a table, unroll the napkin and put it on the seat, and go get some food such as a bread roll from the nearest station to put on the table before you go hunting for your meal.

I have always founds King's Court less crowded toward the stern.

21 hours ago, IB2 said:

We traditionally go to the Kings Court on embark day since we started to sail on the QM2. Honestly we are kinder missing the old layout over the new design we experienced after the refit. The different sections were easier to navigate.

It was kinder a hassle last time finding a table and even keeping up with the items being laid out. And just as fast missing before enjoying or trying them and not replacing them with the same items. A great Stirfry Dish being replaced by basic Hamburgers. 

On next years voyage in June we are going to try the Golden Loin Pub for the first time on embark day since is open now. Or Carinthia Lounge not to fill up too much before first evening dining in Club Britannia.