Considering Norwegian for the first time....

Zack33

Hey everyone, 

Looking for opinions and advice. I'm considering booking a NCL cruise for the first time, I've previously sailed on Princess and Celebrity. I'm aware that this will be a different experience, but I'm looking forward to that. What I'd like to know is just how different? Currently looking at itineraries on either the Escape or Getaway....is there a preference between ships. Also most likely looking at a balcony or mini-suite room. 

Little bit of background on me and my group: 

I'm 26, age of family members attending range from 21-85. We like to sit by the pool and relax, but also like having options for fun and activities to do throughout the day and night. 

Thanks in advance for any advice or comments you have! 

14 minutes ago, Zack33 said:

I'm 26, age of family members attending range from 21-85. We like to sit by the pool and relax, but also like having options for fun and activities to do throughout the day and night. 

I have been on the Excape and I think it would be perfect for you if you like things to do. there was enough going on day and night, and I didn't even get off the ship.

We previously sailed on the Getaway in the Haven, and that was fantastic.  However, the non Haven portions of the ship, and especially the pool area, were a complete madhouse.  It may have been due to when we were traveling (in June), but the pool areas were completely packed, and it did not seem relaxing at all.  In fact, we are going to give Celebrity a try over Thanksgiving, to see if it more our families "speed".

9 hours ago, Zack33 said:

Currently looking at itineraries on either the Escape or Getaway....is there a preference between ships.

Escape is the newer/larger ship. Getaway is in the Breakaway Class and Escape is in the Breakaway Plus Class. Breakaway and Getaway (BA/GA) have notoriously small balconies along the side of the ship. Escape side balconies are roughly 50% deeper.

9 hours ago, Zack33 said:

We like to sit by the pool and relax, but also like having options for fun and activities to do throughout the day and night. 

The fun and activities are easy on Escape. Sit by the pool and relax won't happen especially for a large group that wants loungers together and near the pool. There are plenty of loungers (despite what you might read) away from the pool, though.

I would look into either the Spa (indoors) or VIBE (outdoors) to avoid both the crowds and kids but those are both extra cost. Spice H2O (no charge) is also adult-only but isn't limited so it can be crowded. Another (higher cost) option is the Haven which is partly adult-only (sundeck) but the service, exclusively, and amenities are much better than for the rest of the ship.

3 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Escape is the newer/larger ship. Getaway is in the Breakaway Class and Escape is in the Breakaway Plus Class. Breakaway and Getaway (BA/GA) have notoriously small balconies along the side of the ship. Escape side balconies are roughly 50% deeper.

The fun and activities are easy on Escape. Sit by the pool and relax won't happen especially for a large group that wants loungers together and near the pool. There are plenty of loungers (despite what you might read) away from the pool, though.

I would look into either the Spa (indoors) or VIBE (outdoors) to avoid both the crowds and kids but those are both extra cost. Spice H2O (no charge) is also adult-only but isn't limited so it can be crowded. Another (higher cost) option is the Haven which is partly adult-only (sundeck) but the service, exclusively, and amenities are much better than for the rest of the ship.

Haven private pool deck on the Getaway

831443FB-22F0-4B9B-8A57-7B9B048514E7.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Think you will really like the NCL product.  After sailing RCL and Celebrity, we have found the NCL product to be the best of both worlds.  Lots to do and some hints of luxury too (we opt for Haven).  Escape is similar to Breakaway, which I've sailed twice.  Am doing Escape in late February and can't wait.  My best advice is this...if you book with NCL, do your research and know for sure what category you want and book it.  Don't mess with the bidding process if you'll be disappointed if it doesn't work out.  And then once you've booked it...forget it.  Don't look back (at prices) and hope for something better.  Too many people have come away disappointed because they see something they like better after final payment and then expect NCL bend over backwards without any associated fees.  For your age demographic, I think you will really enjoy either of these two ships.  My twenty-something kids love it!

Get "sit by the pool and relax" out of your head.  This class of ship from NCL is terribly overcrowded on the pool and sun decks on sea days.  It's possibly the worst at sea.  Doesn't mean you won't find anything, obviously people do, but you may need to go early and stake our a claim for a few lounge chairs.  Not chair hogging, but just going to the pool a bit earlier than everyone else.

You will find NCL crowd to be much younger overall then on Princess and definitely on Celebrity.  I have not done Celebrity but heard from friends that have and watching cruise videos on Youtube.  You really have to try with an open mind and then decide if NCL works for you.  There are plenty of options out there.  Never need to settle.

I cruised on the Breakaway in June. First time with NCL after many years on other cruise lines - mainly RCL and Celebrity.

Really enjoyed it, lots to do, plenty of entertainment and I am on the Getaway in December.

However, as others have alluded to, the pool area on NCL is not great. Really small pool but there are plenty of other places to relax.

I’m sure you will all love whichever you choose.

Have a great cruise!

On 10/10/2019 at 8:54 AM, Zack33 said:

Hey everyone, 

Looking for opinions and advice. I'm considering booking a NCL cruise for the first time, I've previously sailed on Princess and Celebrity. I'm aware that this will be a different experience, but I'm looking forward to that. What I'd like to know is just how different? Currently looking at itineraries on either the Escape or Getaway....is there a preference between ships. Also most likely looking at a balcony or mini-suite room. 

Thanks in advance for any advice or comments you have! 

Plenty of activities on the Gem and a great ship for multi generation cruising. The one downer for you might be the pool areas are a bit small, but the Jewel class ships, which is what the Gem is have better pool areas than some of the newer mega ships. I think, if the price is right you would enjoy NCL. The service and friendliness is what makes them our favorite cruise line. Of course the huge selection of dining choices also helps.