Teens...Rules, Spending, Paperwork for a Friend

Jenner9

I also posted this on the Family board but there doesnt seem to be much action over there.

Hello! We are sailing NCL Escape in February. We will have 2 teens with us. My son who is 14 years and his friend who is 15 years old (his parents are not going). I have a couple of queastions.

1. I know NCL has a permission form for the friend's parents to fill out. Will I need anything elae for him?

2. I plan to sit down with both boys before the cruise to establish rules before we go. What are some good rules for them to follow besides the obvious? They are both really good kids but lets face it...they are teen boys! LOL!

3. I plan to put a spending limit on their cards. How do I do this and can the amount be changed later? 

Thanks!!

Here is the Norwegian Consent Form:

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/ParentGuardianForm_01302012b.pdf

Never enter anyone's stateroom.

Don't loiter/sit on the staircases.

Don't slam doors.

Be sure that you discuss your plans with them and theirs to you in the morning so you can kind of touch base during the day.

Leave a sticky note in the cabin IF you change your plans from what was previously discussed. 

Don't eat like slobs at the buffet   😀

I am not sure that you can limit spending on the their cards, unless you set them up with their own cash accounts at check in.  Otherwise just take a daily accounting on your account so you can see what has been sent.

• Like 2

Probably the easiest way to limit their spending is to set their cars up as cash accounts and then can add cash upfront and more later if you like. That also might encourage them to save up some money to add to their accounts if they want something extra. If you do this I would pre-pay the daily gratuities. Otherwise you could end up with budgeting issues where you pre-loaded $100 to pay them, but the boys spend it so it still needs to be paid off at the end. 

My 2 cents. The friend should have a passport. Yes, can cruise with BC/photo ID, but if anything happens and you need to fly home a passport is a necessity. 

You might also want a notarized letter from the parents granting you permission to make any medically needed decisions.

To limit spending, you will need to set up a cash account. However, in order to do this, you will need to be sure the DSC is prepaid, or else it will be taken out of the cash first each day, and can suck it up quickly.  Another option is simply to tell them how much they are permitted to spend, and on what types of things. This will depend on how responsible and trustworthy they are. It works for us, because we have a good kid who knows how to manage money, but some have had issues.

I took my 15  year old daughter's friend on a cruise with us.  It was the best experience.  With the permission form from her parents (both need to sign)  and her passport boarding was seamless.  The girls had a great time and I had a chance to relax.  They also loved the teen club.  They made so many friends and still text them today.  

• Like 1

On 10/27/2019 at 11:43 AM, Sauer-kraut said:

The consent form has language to that effect already in it. 

I think the consent form is valid on the ship, I am not sure if it would be accepted on land. I would play it safe and get a separate notarized consent letter just in case. The NCL form doesn't require that it be notarized.

2 hours ago, phillyguy31 said:

I think the consent form is valid on the ship, I am not sure if it would be accepted on land. I would play it safe and get a separate notarized consent letter just in case. The NCL form doesn't require that it be notarized.

I agree. I would add copies of any medical insurance cards.

4 hours ago, Sheshefran said:

I took my 15  year old daughter's friend on a cruise with us.  It was the best experience.  With the permission form from her parents (both need to sign)  and her passport boarding was seamless.  The girls had a great time and I had a chance to relax.  They also loved the teen club.  They made so many friends and still text them today.  

Did you need the friend's birth certificate?

1 hour ago, cruiseagona said:

Really really emphasize that they NEVER go in anyone's cabin. NEVER. (As told by a former health teacher). They may be 15 year old boys but then again, THEY ARE 15 YEAR OLD BOYS!

I have already been telling them this and no one in our cabin. 

I have sailed with my own teens and with some acquired teens.

I have never allowed my kids charging privileges on their cards in any amount.  I am just a scrooge that way I guess.

If they want something that costs money, they have to come find me.   Most of the times, they never come to see me.   When the choice is go find mom or get a soda, water becomes much more palatable.   I am probably just a mean mom, but they don't need to buy things in the store, get fancy coffees or play video games: there is plenty of free things they can do instead.  I must project that aura pretty strongly, because none of my teens came and found me to ask for anything other than a few sodas.

Teen club works as a good place to meet, lots of teens leave and go off around the boat as a group.  As long as my teens stick together, I am OK with this.  I kind of get a kick out of seeing a group of teens, my own included, shuffle into a show or dine at the 24 hour restaurant.   As others have mentioned, remind them stairs are not chairs, and they don't go in any cabin other than their own ever.

My teen boy loves the sport court on a ship and plays up there for hours.   I cannot emphasize how important sun screen is.   Set an alarm and make them come back to reapply or you'll have red lobsters after your first at sea day.   

Ship security prevents minors from leaving the ship without an adult...but they sometimes are a little more lax letting them back on board.   It is no fun being in port frantically searching for a teen on shore that decided to get back on the boat when they got bored waiting for you to finish shopping.   So have that conversation.

Best of luck to you and happy sailing.

On 10/26/2019 at 7:20 PM, Jenner9 said:

Hello! We are sailing NCL Escape in February. We will have 2 teens with us. My son who is 14 years and his friend who is 15 years old (his parents are not going).

Get them enrolled in the Entourage club and let them run with the other teens on the ship. 

• Like 1

On 10/29/2019 at 5:49 PM, BirdTravels said:

Get them enrolled in the Entourage club and let them run with the other teens on the ship. 

Make sure they go to the club the first night. Most groups get formed then. The time will be listed in the daily paper you will find in your cabin.