Caribbean Sunshine Aboard the Shadow December 10, 2019

spinnaker2

We are excited that we will come aboard the extraordinary Shadow in San Juan!

Much like Peter Pan, we feel like we need to have our shadows stitched back on.

We are hoping this brief trip in the warm waters of the tropics will be liberally sprinkled with that Silversea enchantment which has bewitched us in the past.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, mysty said:

Here's hoping spins!  I do love the Peter Pan reference to the Shadow!  Witty!  🙂 

Thanks Mysty. I am a hopeless believer in magic and Tinkerbell too. Peter Pan never wanted to grow up! 

I confess, I never wanted to either.

Somehow I thought growing old would take longer.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Somehow I thought growing old would take longer.

Time is kind of fluid!  Some days I feel like a kid again and some days I am harshly reminded that I am NOT!    So far the "kid-like" days outnumber the "NOTS".  🙂 And hold on to the belief in all things magical!  It keeps the bogeyman at bay!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well add another person to the list of many others that will be departing San Juan with you.

Just signed up yesterday and have sailed on the Shadow a few years back in Alaska and she was grand then, looking forward to seeing the changes to her now.

And have to agree that the excitement is building, so much so the first round is on me.

• Like 1

Dear Spinnaker,

i thought I was the only Peter Pan, seemingly pantomimes do not cross the pond, and I was fortunate to be one of the 'lost boys' in a stage show at the Palladium Theatre in London many many moons ago.

As a very young child and taken to see a pantomime, I was hooked by the magic and glamour of the theatre, and was fortunate in the years following, to relive this magic from the footlights.

From  what I understand, the lovely Lady Silver Shadow has been transformed and will sail from Lisbon tomorrow on November 21st across the pond to Fort Lauderdale.

Captain Arma is currently in charge of his 'new baby' until Fort Lauderdale, when he disembarks for a well earned rest until early February, as indeed will Martin Blanar HD, both of whom have endured the rigours of dry dock, when comments like 'she currently looks like a bomb has exploded'' were made.  When she arrives in San Juan I am sure you are going to be wowed!!  I am not sure how long Martin Blanar will remain as HD.

bon voyage to you all

Kindest regards

Master Echo

• Like 1

Thank you ME!

And yes, yes, YES to Peter Pan.

You were lucky to be one of the lost boys.

What a marvelous experience!

You have the magic in your heart.

And it is wonderful to be able to tap into the magic when you need or want it.

I saw Peter Pan as a very young child too but it was the musical production with Mary Martin on Broadway. I can still picture her flying across the stage and hear her singing all of the terrific songs. And I admit to being a little afraid of Captain Hook!

We are excited to see the Shadow and to be aboard in San Juan. I am certain much hard work has gone into the refurbishment. 

Thanks again for your post and good wishes!

• Like 1

Hi Spins,

As you know, I should have boarded the Shadow yesterday for LIS-FLL and was feeling a little sad about that, but I see she is sailing toward Storm Sebastian so I think they may have a crossing with echoes of our last crossing on the Whisper! Not sad about missing another crossing like that one.

I'm boarding Crystal Symphony on Sunday, not really looking forward to it but I 'spect it'll be OK.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise on the Shadow, I have to wait till January to see how she is post dry dock. Will be very interested in the new 'Arts Cafe' in the foyer, love the Arts on the bigger girls.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jollyjones said:

Hi Spins,

As you know, I should have boarded the Shadow yesterday for LIS-FLL and was feeling a little sad about that, but I see she is sailing toward Storm Sebastian so I think they may have a crossing with echoes of our last crossing on the Whisper! Not sad about missing another crossing like that one.

I'm boarding Crystal Symphony on Sunday, not really looking forward to it but I 'spect it'll be OK.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise on the Shadow, I have to wait till January to see how she is post dry dock. Will be very interested in the new 'Arts Cafe' in the foyer, love the Arts on the bigger girls.

Hi Jolly

It would be lovely if you could somehow magically change plans and be aboard.

Since I doubt that will happen just know we will miss you.

And somehow you were spared storm Sebastian. No way would I want 25 foot waves and grey and rain and pervasive dreariness again. And I didn't even mention the terrible trivia.

I will try and report what I see. 

Hope you enjoy your cruise!  Bon voyage.

On 11/22/2019 at 3:45 AM, jollyjones said:

Hi Spins,

Hi Jolly,

I'm sorry that your comments on the Crystal board were met with such "resistance".  Although I very much enjoyed our first Crystal cruise, I appreciate your opinions, and, besides, these boards are maintained to allow differing views that will benefit all cruisers.  I am sorry to say that the Crystal board is not as civil as this one.  However, your comments on the lack of plant based foods struck a positive note, as many people are being receptive of the concept.  So they should thank you.

Hi Cam

Interesting that you post here as I have disengaged from all things Crystal and shan't be bothering with their forum in future. Nor, I think, cruising on their ships, although one can never say never. If the Symphony is too big and noisy to suit me, the Serenity is likely to be worse.

And the Crystallised mindset is tough to talk to.

On my last cruise on the Whisper, I (again!) commented on the lack of plant based options and Sivi brought the Exec Chef over to me for a chat which was quite productive - the choices subsequently improved in quantity and variety, so it can be done. (And isn't Sivi the best!)

Can't wait to get back to SS, also am very eagerly awaiting Spin's view of the new Shadow because my next cruise is on the Shadow for 17 days in January ... and then the crossing in March.

I do miss the more personalized service of SS and the feeling of space and privacy when you needed it.  I did get to enjoy Serenity's offerings while on board.  I am sure you will have a grand time in the refurbished Shadow, and we may meet you at some point in a future SS cruise.  Happy Thanksgiving to you and all the Cooler family!!!

Les

Always good to hear from you.

I watched the Shadow come into Port Everglades this morning.

She looks all shiny and bright! She came in just as the sun was rising.  That glowy rose light painted her with a broad brush of gold across her stern.

I did post several photos in another topic but can't help myself as theIMG_1760.thumb.PNG.d9fa4effdf05119eb69777939f905fcd.PNG

excitement builds!

• Like 3

Thanks Stumble.

Curiosity definitely piqued by the posts of the first pax to cruise the Shadow.

And frankly looking for some balmy weather.

Here in South Florida it's quite chilly at night necessitating a sweater.

Nothing like Colorado however.