Caribbean Sunshine Aboard the Shadow December 10, 2019

spinnaker2

Mark Conroy and Peter Shanks are the corporate representatives on board. They are meant to host a number of events for VS members on board but none so far. A question and answer session is promised after tomorrow. We managed dinner with Peter and his wife one night, a very pleasant experience.

A new move by SS is that VS members who are entitled to L P Rose Champagne at the start of a voyage now get a bottle for each segment that that are on board for

The total number of guests is 260 only, so no crowding in any restaurant

Edited by beaujolais
editg
  • Like 1

This is all so interesting.  Beaujolais, did Peter Shanks seek your advice/opinions/thoughts if or when you are elected Chair of the Board For a Day?  Interesting about the LP Champagne.  We had a bottle on the first segment on the Wind in the Spring which I assumed was sadly a mistake but didn't receive one on the Muse in Sept.  I'll look forward to more info on that subject since it's a favorite.  Stumblefoot,  becoming "mere laundry folk" is the absolute best feeling ever.  You feel so liberated from the *^%#@ launderette by putting that bag out in the morning.

Thanks all for the amazing postings & photos.  You are all too kind to keep us in the loop.

• Like 2

Good Morning Beaujolais - So pleased to hear that you were invited to Dinner with Peter - no doubt you were able to quietly put forward some of your views regarding various ' Issues ' - hopefully Peter and his Colleagues will garner some useful information from long standing Venetians.

The Champagne Issue is interesting - albeit that we do not drink Champagne I could never understand why continuing Segments did not result in Replacement Bottles.

Hope The Cruise continues to go well and you are now more settled in your Relationship with Silversea.

Amazingly beautiful sail into St. John Cruz Bay. 

Rainbows and cloud formations to rival any I have seen.

It is a glorious day.

This is a tender port and a very short stop before the final two sea days on our approach to Ft. Lauderdale.

Our opinions were solicited via a short printed questionnaire regarding the renovations. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, beaujolais said:

A new move by SS is that VS members who are entitled to L P Rose Champagne at the start of a voyage now get a bottle for each segment that that are on board for

The total number of guests is 260 only, so no crowding in any restaurant

I think the Rose LP must be for 250 days thinking back to when we first had the treat.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mayflower1 said:

The Champagne Issue is interesting - albeit that we do not drink Champagne I could never understand why continuing Segments did not result in Replacement Bottles.

Hi Mayflower.We also are none champagne drinkers and have always asked the Butler to exchange for a pleasant N.Z. Sauvignon Blanc and nice to know that future back to back cruises will be rewarded on a cruise by cruise basis.Hope you both enjoy a happy festive season and a pleasant 2020.

Silver, that is so very interesting.  I'll let you know if we get the LP on all 4 segments & if we are treated differently from segment to segment since we reach the magical "free cruise" number on the 2nd segment.  Appreciate knowing what to look for even though I can't remember being treated differently from the 1st day we stepped on a cruise to the last time we disembarked.  Everyone is always cheerful & welcoming.  True, the invitations to sit with various officers & staff varies but that's really the only thing.  I take that as the sign of a very good staff !

• Like 1

Leaving port now.

We had a few brief showers.

Many more waitstaff at the pool grill which is wonderful for Theresa who has been working so hard to provide good service.

Had the new"chicken wings" app. Its in need of being served on a paper towel to absorb the grease and served with a wet nap or two.

It is tasty. 

Many pax off to spend the few hours and then returning to crowd the sunbeds.

Now no more ports or stops. 

As far as the Rose LP, I think we have had it for a long time. I frankly don't remember that I attached any significance to it in terms of days sailed or otherwise. I think I just thought it was in the suites for all pax and since I don't often discuss that sort of thing, I wasn't aware of any distinctions. I know we appreciate and enjoy it.

As I am reporting on what I experience and provide some color on the refurb,  we do not have a flashlight this cruise nor a picture over our sofa. I find both missing items unusual. 

Are they necessary, well no. Have they always been in our suite, yes.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, nowornever said:

I'll let you know if we get the LP on all 4 segments & if we are treated differently from segment to segment since we reach the magical "free cruise" number on the 2nd segment.

Wow.  Congratulations!  I cannot even imagine ever reaching the 250-day threshold for the 10% discount, let alone the 350-day threshold you are about to hit for the free 7-day voyage.

27 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

As far as the Rose LP... I think I just thought it was in the suites for all pax and since I don't often discuss that sort of thing, I wasn't aware of any distinctions.

Yeah, definitely not the case.  Typically, when we arrive in the suite, Prosecco is awaiting us.  But, since we prefer champagne we ask the Butler to switch it out and they've always fetched a bottle of Heidsieck Monopole Blue Top.  I've read some folks here get Pommery, so maybe we should try to request that one in less than 3-weeks.

7 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Amazingly beautiful sail into St. John Cruz Bay. Rainbows and cloud formations to rival any I have seen.   It is a glorious day.  This is a tender port and a very short stop before the final two sea days on our approach to Ft. Lauderdale.

Great, fun pictures and details from your adventures in the Caribbean.  Sorry that I had not had a chance to post sooner.  Am I assuming correctly that the Internet is working reasonably well during this sailing?  Keep up the great sharing!!  Look forward to any added sharing as to what specifics Mark Conroy and others say as to the future for Silversea, how they plan to keep their personal-service brand from being too "corporatized", etc.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 238,136

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• Like 1

Seafood buffet at the pool deck with live music today harkens back to other times aboard Silversea.

A lovely touch was the Voices of Silversea coming to the pool deck dressed in 18th century costumes complete with powdered wigs, singing "be our guest".

Earlier a presentation by Mark Conroy and Peter Shenks as to the future of Silversea...bright according to corporate. 

• Like 3

Nothing was shared you don't already know. Confirmation of no Indochine aboard the Moon, and likely Indochine will be a thing of the past on other ships. The concept hasn't been a success. Atlantide will expand and menus will be more varied.

Partnership with Lalique in La Dame. Relais and Chateaux is gone.

Lots of money to pour into ships as a result of Royal. 

More emphasis on the environment and being "green".

Discussion of the new flight to avoid the Drake Passage.

A question and answer period produced few audience questions. One was a question about the SALT concept and if the SALT lab will have a fee for participation in classes or lectures.  One was actually a suggestion to have an astronomer aboard to explain the night sky.

Thanks to all the repeat pax and the new pax.

Perhaps someone else who is aboard will chime in on what I may have overlooked.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Spinnaker, you are so very kind to post all of this wonderful information.  Those sky photos are amazing.  I love the fact that they will be cutting back on the plastic water bottles - great news.  

I hope you will enjoy every minute remaining & thank you again for the fabulous posts - they are most appreciated.

• Like 2

Last day and a sea day. We were up very very early to greet the dawn.

The dreaded packing looms large but first we will try and pack in as much as we can for our last day aboard the lovely old Shadow. She has some new magic intermixed with the old.

The crew are just  spectacular. 

• Like 2