Airline "mini bottles"

Kenster

Airline  mini bottles are under the allowed liquid weight in carry on, so that’s why they are allowed on airlines. No alcohol (except wine) is allowed to be brought on cruise ship, so there’s a good chance it will be taken. Your choice to take them out or just risk it.

• Like 3

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 12:27 AM, CanWeGoYet? said:

If you have a toiletry or dopp kit with many small bottles of liquids like shampoo, conditioner, mouth wash etc they might go unnoticed there.  Likely the worst that could happen would be they find them & take them away.  

And if that was placed in your checked luggage at the port, it would most likely pass through the screening.  At some ports the gate security is more "vigilant" than others.  And that extends to individual stations.  A friend on a cruise one time brought a six pack of craft beer hidden in a 12 pack of Pepsi plus 3 large rum runners and walked through security unscathed.  I, at the screening station next door, had a shrink wrapped 24 pack of water literally lifted up and shaken and 2 random bottles pulled out for further inspection.

I agree with the others in that it depends on what you have it packed in and whom is screening.  I've walked through with two bottles of wine and they didn't hardly even look at them.  On other cruises I have been taken aside, had the seals on the wine thoroughly inspected and they were doing all they could to peek into the sealed 12 pack of  soda to ensure that it was soda and nothing else was in there.  You just never know.  

You can order a bottle of liquor for your room.  I've done that previous to Cheers and it worked really well for us.  You do have to walk back and forth to your room to refill - but its far cheaper than Cheers and cheaper than if you were to purchase the same number of drinks you can make from the bottle individually.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

And if that was placed in your checked luggage at the port, it would most likely pass through the screening. 

Not necessarily.....I had six mini's packed in checked luggage and they were confiscated and returned to me at disembark.  

• 3 weeks later...

I had three minis in my backpack.  They've been there for years.  Sort of "Just in case"  in my travels.  They were not noticed in the security scanner.

We had two twelve packs of Cokes in our checked bag. I had four beers in one of them, spaced so that they were not on either end and not visible from the hand hold punch out in the middle of the carton.  They actually opened my checked suitcase and partially peeled open one end but did not discover my beer.

For the record, we bought one bottle of Rum on board.  With fees it cost a little over $100 but we got many drinks out of it. (We don't like really strong drinks.)  We saved a ton of money over buying drinks from the bar.  We made our own Mai Tais buy getting orange juice and Passion Fruit blend juice during breakfast hours and keeping it in the cabin fridge.  Also made rum and cokes.  We thought we might run out but we finished the last of the rum only as a night cap on the lat night aboard.  

As we are not heavy drinkers, this served the two us quite well.

On 11/8/2019 at 11:47 AM, Qchell said:

I agree with the others in that it depends on what you have it packed in and whom is screening.  I've walked through with two bottles of wine and they didn't hardly even look at them.  On other cruises I have been taken aside, had the seals on the wine thoroughly inspected and they were doing all they could to peek into the sealed 12 pack of  soda to ensure that it was soda and nothing else was in there.  You just never know. 

Worse, in Galveston I had them completely shred the cardboard cases that my 2 12-packs were in... they not only removed every can and inspected them, but left me with 24 cans of soda and no way to carry them! I looked at the guard and said 'really? How am I supposed to carry them now?' He just shrugged...

Now I use a rolling cart, plus I always bring a plastic grocery bag with me just in case. My last cruise I earned eternal gratitude from a fellow cruiser who met the same fate! I saw her standing there looking at her shredded case, and just walked over, handed her the grocery bag and walked away shaking my head... and yet on other cruises in Galveston, I've walked up, pointed out I have 2 cases of soda, and been waived through! As Qchell says, you just never know.

Edited by Shaded Lady
  • Like 1