Pre-cruise style checklist

Ann_on_the_road

What’s your pre-cruise style schedule?

Mine includes: a haircut about a week before departure, and

a pedi as close to departure as possible.

if DH has dry cleaning, we need to plan far ahead, as our dry cleaner is 200 miles away (I live in a very rural area and we use one in the “big” city because the one 50 miles away is actually less convenient).

If we need to order any clothes or style products on-line, I want it here in time to exchange or a late delivery - our two day delivery often is 3-4 days.

luckily I enjoy the anticipation 😁

• Like 1

Hair cut and color touch up about a week before.  Mani/Pedi about 2 days before we head out. 

DH gets his hair cut the weekend before we leave, so if we leave on monday, it'll only be a day or two before, but if we leave on Friday, its about a week before.  He is growing a bear now and is talking about hitting up a barber for a beard blow out and neck shave before we go in May.

Ha - my husband is growing his winter beard now and not sure if he'll keep or shave for our holiday Caribbean cruise. He's worried it'll be hot, but I remind him 1) some people keep beards year round, and 2) he can shave on the cruise if he feels like it....

For me, I don't worry about hair cuts (except trying not to schedule the salon when I'm out of town!) and I'm in a very lax mode for color at the moment (I switched to non-permanent last year because I don't mind the gray a ton but HATE the roots - this way, I can be lazy and decide to color when the gray bothers me). Pedicure the day before we leave if possible. I don't do manicures. I used to wax but that was another thing that annoyed me so I stopped 😉 I did laser removal on my bikini line & underarm and just shave my legs...

• Like 1

Curly hair, so I don't worry about the hair cut (it doesn't really ever get longer, just more or less curly...) but definitely make sure that I've done a protein treatment and deep conditioning before I go, and the color is looking good. 

Get the eyebrows colored and threaded, and a nice bright, fun pedicure that will look awesome in all those "feet up on the balcony/in the hammock/in the ocean" pictures.

Also (tmi?) any trimming of the bikini line that needs to happen has to be done at least 3-4 days ahead so that the redness and irritation can pass before anyone might see. The curse of being a pale, sensitive-skinned redhead.

• Like 1

I let my hair go to it’s natural color a year ago, and I like it better than the blond.  Who’d have thought I would end up with blended platinum gray and brunette back, more platinum sides, and all platinum frosting on top???? 

We both get haircuts within 5 days of leaving, and I get a pedi the day before.

Clothes are all staged 2weeks before we leave, and a moratorium on Amazon or ebay purchases 10 days before. 

• Like 3

We both get haircuts, and I get highlights one or 2 weeks before.  The day before we leave I get a massage, DH gets a facial, we both get Manis and Pedis. Head out to dinner, load the car when we return and try to get some sleep before we have to get to the airport. (My DH is a reluctant flyer.😅

On 11/27/2019 at 9:50 PM, CHEZMARYLOU said:

We both get haircuts, and I get highlights one or 2 weeks before.  The day before we leave I get a massage, DH gets a facial, we both get Manis and Pedis. Head out to dinner, load the car when we return and try to get some sleep before we have to get to the airport. (My DH is a reluctant flyer.😅

I really admire your DH's commitment to skincare -- men who take good care of their skin are so awesome. 🙂

• Like 2

In my own experience; once my late father-in-law and my father discovered pedicures, they never looked back.  My dad gets a manicure and pedicure once a month, and he loves it.  Happy feet, happy hands, nails all kept in check, foot and hand massage... what's not to like?

• Like 1

about 3 weeks out start deciding what i want to wear for formal nights or if there is another special occasion during the sailing. try those outfits on, gives me time to have them altered if need be or if i decide i'd rather wear something different or different color i can go buy it.
try and get a hair cut as close as possible to leaving, meaning if i have time (i.e. afternoon flight) i would happily get it the day i leave. 
day before/ while packing decided what watches ill bring(hardest part of packing lol). i have a 3 slot travel case, keeps me from bringing the whole collection.
deciding on shoes to bring also is a struggle lol safe to say im just not a decisive person 

Haven't contributed to this thread because I don't think of my preparations as a "style checklist". But now it's getting around to all pre-cruise routines so of course I have those!

dr'spin and I will get haircuts -- at the same barber (I do have a particular lady I make sure is there). I used to just have whoever was free trim me with the clippers as per my avatar, but a year ago to celebrate my 60th I picked Brenda to style me ala Jamie Lee Curtis! DH will get a pedicure, maybe manicure. I will whack my own nails off! We also make sure to cut the two cats' nails to protect our cat-sitter from injury!

As for packing -- I prepare by checking weatherspark.com (historical averages) and as it gets close, watching accuweather or weather.com to see how it's really shaping up. I plan EVERYTHING on the computer with a spreadsheet or two. I've eased into packing cubes, but with the last three vacations using ultralow-weight allowance budget airlines, I've gotten Eagle Creek ultralight Specter cubes and plan to use them from here out. They are more important for land/bus trips, but I think I can make them handy in cabins without much drawer space as well.

After our last land-trip (central Europe in late October), on which I took not one but TWO shirts that didn't fit around my hips (base layers AKA undershirts), my new rule is TRY ON EVERYTHING that hasn't been worn in a season. Living in nearly perpetual summer, cold-weather clothing can "shrink" without notice! Packing carryon only, two shirts that didn't get worn is a major fauxpas! 

I'm lucky to have a room to 'stage' my packing: It's a sorta library/exercise room, and I put a hanging rack for clothes and the ironing board (as well as the top of the full-time cedar chest in there) for sundry items. I don't get the suitcases out until the day before we leave because the cats know what they are and get very nervous/neurotic! Now with packing cubes I may be able to fool them even longer, until they learn to recognize them too.

Isn't it funny how we manage to pack different 'sets' of clothes every trip? When I look at all my choices, I think -- I have too much!

• Like 2

Hubby and I get a haircut about a week before departure.  I don't colour my hair, its now blonde and grey and I'm okay with it.

I get a pedicure a few days before we leave.  I'd love to get DH to get a pedicure, he does a lousy job trimming his nails.

I start piling up my clothes in the spare room a couple of weeks ahead, but don't actually pack until the last night.

I don't necessarily get my hair cut right before a trip, but I try to plan my appointments so that I'm not in that "desperately needed a cut" phase when we leave.    I get a mani-pedi a day or two before we leave.  I have very little that needs dry cleaning, even less so among the things I usually take on vacation, and try to get all laundry done 2-3 days prior to allow time to air dry and iron the many things I prefer not to put in the dryer.   I have a master packing list in my computer, and a couple months (or sometimes weeks depending on how busy I am) I adapt it to my trip.  I edit it periodically, such as if I get something new I want to take I delete a similar item that I previously included, and I highlight anything I plan to pack that I still need to buy, ex. if I need to new pair of white shorts for a cruise. That allows me time to shop for whatever the item(s) needed during the weeks leading up to the trip, so that I'm not running around the day before in desperation.

• Like 1

I like to get my hair cut with a colour refresher about a week prior to leaving.  DH and I get pedicures the day before we leave, and when our pedi's are done, DH goes home, while I stay and get a gel nail fill.  Then we order in dinner, share a bottle of wine and try to get some sleep before heading to the airport at the crack of dark.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂