They pick the room question

EDiamond22

My January sailing on adventure, we decided to go with an inside cabin, i did the option where they pick the room. We have never done that before and it being an inside cabin i really had no preference where its located. that being said has anyone done this and ended up getting an upgrade?

Also is there really any awful inside cabin locations that i now have a chance of being suck with?   

1 hour ago, EDiamond22 said:

Also is there really any awful inside cabin locations that i now have a chance of being suck with?   

Yes, of course.  You could be located above, below, or adjacent to a known noisy location that they have not been able to sell through people picking their own spot.  You may luck out and get a perfectly fine room; but if you book GTY be prepared for the worst location and be pleasantly surprised if not 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LMaxwell said:

Yes, of course.  You could be located above, below, or adjacent to a known noisy location that they have not been able to sell through people picking their own spot.  You may luck out and get a perfectly fine room; but if you book GTY be prepared for the worst location and be pleasantly surprised if not 

although i could sleep through a tornado in a tent ( been there done that lol) the GF might not be to happy if we get something noisy.. opps fingers crossed lol

in my defense we are generally part of the group that will be closing down the venues so might not be an issue hopefully..

my parents a few cruises ago picked there own room and it happened to be right near the path of the anchor or something, it would wake them up when we were docking in ports

I think I would spend the extra $150 and upgrade to a 4V on deck 9 toward the aft. With going on deck 9 you will have cabins above and below you and pretty much cancel out any noise factors.

Free upgrade chances aren't very good if that is what you are hoping for.

Now if you get a Royal Up offer, then if you bid enough then you have a possibility of getting a better cabin.

Sometimes you can have a cabin that is noisy earlier in the day - by galleys, below chairs being rearranged, next to a stewards supply closet, by the theater during daytime rehearsals, having an adjoining room with a door to the next cabin, near equipment needed for docking (anchors, azipods).  I've done 30 cruises and just finished one that was my only GTY. I booked close to sail date, and the only interiors left to choose were poor locations. I figured I had nothing to lose. I got lucky; it was deck 3 way forward (all the way) but mostly quiet. I could hear the bass somewhat from the band during performances in the theatre, but it would be over by 10:00 (if at all) and not really intrusive. 

43 minutes ago, John Reid said:

Sometimes you can have a cabin that is noisy earlier in the day - by galleys, below chairs being rearranged, next to a stewards supply closet, by the theater during daytime rehearsals, having an adjoining room with a door to the next cabin, near equipment needed for docking (anchors, azipods).  I've done 30 cruises and just finished one that was my only GTY. I booked close to sail date, and the only interiors left to choose were poor locations. I figured I had nothing to lose. I got lucky; it was deck 3 way forward (all the way) but mostly quiet. I could hear the bass somewhat from the band during performances in the theatre, but it would be over by 10:00 (if at all) and not really intrusive. 

this will be my 14th, first time doing the GTY figured if it all works out its an easy 100+ saved, if not ill go back to picking! i will keep picking when doing balconies though since there is different styles and such especially on the newer ships . thanks for the feed back !!

We usually do balcony's, only done inside a couple times when it was really cheap for a 5 night cruise.  We picked the room, wanted to be on an upper deck between the pool and promenade.  We had no interest in being on deck 2 or 3 and weren't going to risk that to save a few bucks.

3 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

We usually do balcony's, only done inside a couple times when it was really cheap for a 5 night cruise.  We picked the room, wanted to be on an upper deck between the pool and promenade.  We had no interest in being on deck 2 or 3 and weren't going to risk that to save a few bucks.

never been on 2 or 3 but i really don't think i'd mind it, everything is a quick elevator ride away, IMO. this is a 9 day, with the drink package, travel too and from ill admit it was getting pricey quick and i opted to save a few bucks on this one lol hopefully it doesn't burn me in the end haha

1 minute ago, EDiamond22 said:

never been on 2 or 3 but i really don't think i'd mind it, everything is a quick elevator ride away, IMO. this is a 9 day, with the drink package, travel too and from ill admit it was getting pricey quick and i opted to save a few bucks on this one lol hopefully it doesn't burn me in the end haha

Unless it's at 7:00AM there's no such thing as a quick elevator ride......:classic_tongue:

But an inside is an inside, they'll all look the same:classic_smile:

just got my royal up email just minutes ago, never done this before. Im going to give it a try. any one have experience with this? i have a few questions? can you make another offer if yours gets declined? figured i would offer close too min at first and go up if they dont get accepted.. do you think this would be a good idea or go right for my top number id be willing to pay?

1 minute ago, EDiamond22 said:

just got my royal up email just minutes ago, never done this before. Im going to give it a try. any one have experience with this? i have a few questions? can you make another offer if yours gets declined? figured i would offer close too min at first and go up if they dont get accepted.. do you think this would be a good idea or go right for my top number id be willing to pay?

Info here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2609863-royalup-bid-for-stateroom-upgrade/?do=findComment&comment=56242452

1 minute ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

NEVER book a GTY cabin if you might be unhappy with the result. Book the cabin you want at time of booking and not wait for possible upgrades. 

A lot less to fret or worry about. 

ill be in the Caribbean far away from the snow here in NY. i'd sleep on the helipad for all i care 🙂 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

alot more chatter and speculation than useful info lol but thank you i did find a good tip or two in there, placed my bids and now we wait lol 🤷‍♂️

30 minutes ago, EDiamond22 said:

alot more chatter and speculation than useful info lol but thank you i did find a good tip or two in there, placed my bids and now we wait lol 🤷‍♂️

Good luck!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EDiamond22 said:

my parents a few cruises ago picked there own room and it happened to be right near the path of the anchor or something, it would wake them up when we were docking in ports

I did that on my first ever cruise. Good times.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, EDiamond22 said:

A drink package can make any room a good room. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

People seem to have a problem with a straight GTY, but they don't seem to have a problem bidding on Royal UP, which is basically an upgrade GTY, right?

A Royal Up cabin might be worse in terms of location flexibility in that you are supposed to be stuck with whatever you get, never mind that by the time you win at Royal Up, there's very few cabins if any to move to. I realize GTY assignments have been coming fairly late recently, but you at least have a better chance to move locations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Another_Critic said:

People seem to have a problem with a straight GTY, but they don't seem to have a problem bidding on Royal UP, which is basically an upgrade GTY, right?

Yes, except you pay extra.