Harmony - Traditional vs My Time

LuCruise

We typically prefer Traditional Dining, but we ended up selecting MTD on Harmony as the time at booking for early dining was 5:15pm.  

However, I noticed in a recent cruise compass that

• Traditional Dining main seating shows 5pm-5:30pm
  • My Time Dining shows 6:30pm-9pm

Also, when I do a mock booking now, it shows 5pm as first seating, so even earlier.

Questions....

1. For Traditional dining, from the cruise compass, does that mean that we can enter anytime between 5pm and 5:30pm?  5pm seems much to early (as it cuts into the afternoon to get ready with showers before dinner)
  2. If My Time doesn't start until 6:30pm, doesn't this conflict with early shows?  We don't want to be rushed with dinner to make a show.  And if MTD doesn't start until 6:30pm, I imagine the 6:30pm slots are going to be hard to get.

There is still Traditional Dining spots so I can change our selection.

Suggestions?  We have kids but by this cruise, they will be 15 and 11.

20 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

If you keep MTD, see the Maitre de on the first day and see if you can come at 6. That first seating slot on Deck 3 isnt always full

On a slightly related subject, how bad is the SL just before first seating for CK?  We always made 6:30 reservations in CK on Oasis, walking into the the SL around 5:30-5:45 to score plenty of available seats before dinner. 

Though this time we will want to check out the early shows (first time on Harmony, new shows for us).  Was thinking of joining the march for dinner from SL to CK at 5:30.  Good or bad idea?  

Edited by island lady

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Book/plan shows and then arrange dining around those - you are right, the 6:30 MTD (if you can get it) is tough to schedule around.

Yeah...that's what I'm thinking.  Hard to get.  Plus I took a look at the same compass and most shows are 8pm or 8:30pm.

And for John's comment above...good to know but I'd be stressed that we wouldn't be able to get the 6pm spot on request.

Anyone know how about the early traditional time?  Does it mean we can come anytime between 5pm and 5:30pm?  Or do we need to come at 5pm for the current mock booking time that is showing?

5 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Plus I took a look at the same compass and most shows are 8pm or 8:30pm.

You can make both of those show times with 6:30 MTD if you tell your waiter and know what you want before you go - look at the menu before hand.

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

You can make both of those show times with 6:30 MTD if you tell your waiter and know what you want before you go - look at the menu before hand.

Thanks.  The only thing is that for the production shows in the theatre such as Grease or Columbus, I like to arrive early at around 45 min before, to try and get good seats (or as best as we can as a lot of the front ones are reserved).  

If anyone can confirm how traditional dining works when it shows a range...then I think it may be best to switch.  But if we need to arrive at 5pm sharp...then that's a bit too early.  Also, I think it's easier to switch from traditional to MTD vs the other way around, once we see the actual show times on our cruise if dining doesn't work out?

47 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Yeah...that's what I'm thinking.  Hard to get.  Plus I took a look at the same compass and most shows are 8pm or 8:30pm.

And for John's comment above...good to know but I'd be stressed that we wouldn't be able to get the 6pm spot on request.

Anyone know how about the early traditional time?  Does it mean we can come anytime between 5pm and 5:30pm?  Or do we need to come at 5pm for the current mock booking time that is showing?

I posted the same concerns a little while back. While the compass says 6:30pm when you try to make reservations the first available isn't until 6:45pm.

We are just going to roll with it as 5pm is way too early.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

I posted the same concerns a little while back. While the compass says 6:30pm when you try to make reservations the first available isn't until 6:45pm.

We are just going to roll with it as 5pm is way too early.

Ugh...thanks for sharing the actual MTD available times.  That makes the dinner time even later.

Ok..so am thinking we switch to 5pm.  The shows are important to DD and I and we like to get there early for a close-ish seat. And we like the MDR experience and don't want to feel rushed.  But a 5pm dinner is getting a tad too early....but don't think our kids would like the opposite of a 8pm dinner.

Good luck. You can try John's suggestion and see if you can get in earlier when you get onboard...or let them know your show timing if that's a concern.

I'd pick the early traditional seating...the times listed now are rarely the times of dining when you're actually ON the ship.  The 1st night, times will be pushed back a bit, to allow for Muster.

You should show up within 5 mins. of the dining room opening....otherwise, it throws off service, especially, if you have tablemates.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LuCruise said:

Thanks.  The only thing is that for the production shows in the theatre such as Grease or Columbus, I like to arrive early at around 45 min before, to try and get good seats (or as best as we can as a lot of the front ones are reserved).  

If anyone can confirm how traditional dining works when it shows a range...then I think it may be best to switch.  But if we need to arrive at 5pm sharp...then that's a bit too early.  Also, I think it's easier to switch from traditional to MTD vs the other way around, once we see the actual show times on our cruise if dining doesn't work out?

Closer to 5 is better, if you dont show up until 5:30, you will irritate your table mates. Now if you don't share a table, closer to 5:30 is probably fine

4 hours ago, island lady said:

On a slightly related subject, how bad is the SL just before first seating for CK?  We always made 6:30 reservations in CK on Oasis, walking into the the SL around 5:30-5:45 to score plenty of available seats before dinner. 

Though this time we will want to check out the early shows (first time on Harmony, new shows for us).  Was thinking of joining the march for dinner from SL to CK at 5:30.  Good or bad idea?  

Probably varies by season. In the summer, we were fine. Haven't been on since. Oasis was a bear in the fall. Pinnacle magnet

Edited by John&LaLa

Was on the Harmony last week with traditional dining at 5 - got there between 5:00 - 5:15. Don't know how long people waited for MTD but when we left at appox. 6:30. the line for MTD was lined up out the door out to the elevators. Heard a lot of mumbling about the wait.

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Closer to 5 is better, if you dont show up until 5:30, you will irritate your table mates. Now if you don't share a table, closer to 5:30 is probably fine

Thanks.  Good point.  We book a table for just us.  Otherwise yes, we would be sure to come at the start.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jessed said:

Was on the Harmony last week with traditional dining at 5 - got there between 5:00 - 5:15. Don't know how long people waited for MTD but when we left at appox. 6:30. the line for MTD was lined up out the door out to the elevators. Heard a lot of mumbling about the wait.

Thanks for the info.  That helps with the decision.  We switched to traditional.  Don't know why it's so early now but we'll make it work. (And good to know you were able to arrive within the range).

Edited by LuCruise

On Allure they used the MTD dining room for traditional at 5 and others started at 5:30.  Unfortunately those early diners tended to delay leaving their table after dinner, messing up the MTD folks who were coming in at 6:30.  Had one couple sat in the adjacent table for an hour after they finished their dessert.  We got in early MTD that night at 6:15 and they were still there at 7:15.  Fixed seating you are expected to be there by your waiters and other people at the table at the scheduled dining time.  One reason we choose MTD is to avoid the people who don't show up on time and delay our dinner and evening.

3 hours ago, LeeW said:

On Allure they used the MTD dining room for traditional at 5 and others started at 5:30.  Unfortunately those early diners tended to delay leaving their table after dinner, messing up the MTD folks who were coming in at 6:30.  Had one couple sat in the adjacent table for an hour after they finished their dessert.  We got in early MTD that night at 6:15 and they were still there at 7:15.  Fixed seating you are expected to be there by your waiters and other people at the table at the scheduled dining time.  One reason we choose MTD is to avoid the people who don't show up on time and delay our dinner and evening.

Sorry, I'm not clear on your point.  But my post was only questioning about the traditional time as I saw a recent Harmony cruise compass that showed Main seating time listed as 5pm - 5:30pm.  When having traditional before, we had a set time of say 5:30pm and that's when we showed up.  I had never seen a range before, and thus wasn't sure if this meant that you can come anytime in that range.

13 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Sorry, I'm not clear on your point.  But my post was only questioning about the traditional time as I saw a recent Harmony cruise compass that showed Main seating time listed as 5pm - 5:30pm.  When having traditional before, we had a set time of say 5:30pm and that's when we showed up.  I had never seen a range before, and thus wasn't sure if this meant that you can come anytime in that range.

I originally booked early traditional, but hated the idea of 5pm. 

Switched  to MTD, but then found out Harmony uses all three dining rooms for early traditional so that MTD starts a 6:30. 

So I switched again, back to early traditional. 

I’ve read more than once that we need to be there by 5:15 at the latest, so that’s what we’ll do. 

I can’t believe they’ve made dinner times so awkward!

4 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

I originally booked early traditional, but hated the idea of 5pm. 

Switched  to MTD, but then found out Harmony uses all three dining rooms for early traditional so that MTD starts a 6:30. 

So I switched again, back to early traditional. 

I’ve read more than once that we need to be there by 5:15 at the latest, so that’s what we’ll do. 

I can’t believe they’ve made dinner times so awkward!

I just checked a recent compass of Oasis, Allure and Symphony and they all have a set time for traditional.  So odd that Harmony lists it as a range, and then MTD not starting until 6:30pm.  But then, if they use all three rooms for early traditional, then guess that explains why traditional starts so early and MTD starts so late.  Our cruise isn't until Mar 2021 so will look out for comments.  Arriving at 5:15pm sounds reasonable.  Sounds like we're not the only ones with thinking 5pm is too early and has switched from original booking (and back again).  

Our cruise is March 2020. 

I’m hoping that the powers that be will see the folly of what they’ve done with the dining rooms and go back to just using one for MTD. 

Of course, by then, it will be too late to switch again!

9 hours ago, jagsfan said:

Our cruise is March 2020. 

I’m hoping that the powers that be will see the folly of what they’ve done with the dining rooms and go back to just using one for MTD. 

Of course, by then, it will be too late to switch again!

I'm guessing it's easier to switch from traditional to MTD (as traditional often sells out).  But then again, your ideal times to book with MTD may be gone.  Good luck.  Hope you can arrange the times that you want.

Actually, from what I understand, it's MTD that sells out first.  Many have commented about being put on a wait list.

Me, even with reservations for MTD...if we have to wait in line for more than 15-20 minutes for our table (which is about the time it takes me to finish that glass of wine 🍷😉 )...we simply give up and go to the WJ.  

19 minutes ago, island lady said:

Actually, from what I understand, it's MTD that sells out first.  Many have commented about being put on a wait list.

Me, even with reservations for MTD...if we have to wait in line for more than 15-20 minutes for our table (which is about the time it takes me to finish that glass of wine 🍷😉 )...we simply give up and go to the WJ.  

Ah ok..interesting.  I've noticed in mock bookings that often traditional early time is no longer available.  Either way, that's why it's good to book early and decide upfront.

Yeah...your point is why we prefer traditional as you can just walk to your table at the dining time.  Plus, we like having the same waiter and table.  We quite like the MDR experience, but at least WJ is an option too.

4 hours ago, LuCruise said:

Ah ok..interesting.  I've noticed in mock bookings that often traditional early time is no longer available.  Either way, that's why it's good to book early and decide upfront.

Yeah...your point is why we prefer traditional as you can just walk to your table at the dining time.  Plus, we like having the same waiter and table.  We quite like the MDR experience, but at least WJ is an option too.

Totally agree.  That is the one really nice draw about traditional dining.  Same table, no waiting, same waitstaff.  Our problem is early is too early, and late is too late.  We like to stop at the lounge before dinner, but usually find very few seats.  It clears out after first seating begins, so MTD ended up working well for us...at first.  Now it seems we always have to wait for a table, even with reservations.  Decisions...decisions. 

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Totally agree.  That is the one really nice draw about traditional dining.  Same table, no waiting, same waitstaff.  Our problem is early is too early, and late is too late.  We like to stop at the lounge before dinner, but usually find very few seats.  It clears out after first seating begins, so MTD ended up working well for us...at first.  Now it seems we always have to wait for a table, even with reservations.  Decisions...decisions. 

Unfortunately we don't have your problem... yet (lol as not Diamond, nor stay in a suite), but can see the logistics with timing and the room filling up. And yes...early is too early and late is too late.  When I questioned the time with the Royal agent, he said "You can line up at 4:45pm if you want".  Um no....Wonder how far back they will start?

Edited by LuCruise