BEWARE PRINCESS TRIP POTECTION

paul1439

9 hours ago, paul1439 said:

Princess Insurance does not let you cancel for any reason. Specified reasons only. Any reason is not one of them.

They certainly do have cancel for any reason coverage.  It is at the higher level of coverage.  You can cancel for a non-covered reason and will get a Princess credit.  I believe it has to be used within a year.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Just a FYI , Princess Cruises adds vacation protection to everyone’s cruise, when the final payment is made. That is what we were told by a Princess customer service person. We just finished going round and round with Princess ,trying to get the vacation protection refunded. They flat out lied to the better business bureau ,saying we asked for it. We had to go to our credit card and had them dispute it. They tried to lie again about us asking for it, but we had our original itinerary. Which stated no vacation protection. So our bank sided with us and stopped the payment to Princess. It took 2 1/2 months , to get it resolved ,but it was worth it. We  had been on 14 cruises with Princess, but will never ever sail with them again.

4 minutes ago, Pmarfiz said:

Just a FYI , Princess Cruises adds vacation protection to everyone’s cruise, when the final payment is made. That is what we were told by a Princess customer service person. We just finished going round and round with Princess ,trying to get the vacation protection refunded. They flat out lied to the better business bureau ,saying we asked for it. We had to go to our credit card and had them dispute it. They tried to lie again about us asking for it, but we had our original itinerary. Which stated no vacation protection. So our bank sided with us and stopped the payment to Princess. It took 2 1/2 months , to get it resolved ,but it was worth it. We  had been on 14 cruises with Princess, but will never ever sail with them again.

No they do not unless it is something new! I don't believe anything the customer service reps say! Did you book online because you have to check that you want the vacation protection ? Good for you for fighting it!

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pmarfiz said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic!!!!

That would be incorrect.

• Like 3

I  had it added to the initial invoice and I know for sure my TA would never have told them I wanted it.  He has done a lot of cruises for me and he knows I NEVER take cruise line insurance but go the third party route.  Fortunately when I got the invoice, I read it closely to make sure everything was correct.  The total was more than I had been told by my TA and I found the insurance charge on it. 

5 hours ago, Pmarfiz said:

Just a FYI , Princess Cruises adds vacation protection to everyone’s cruise, when the final payment is made.

Just for clarification - are you saying you authorized a payment for X amount (including no insurance) but you were charged Y amount (fare plus insurance) without any authorization?

32 minutes ago, Tucker in Texas said:

I  had it added to the initial invoice and I know for sure my TA would never have told them I wanted it. 

In my many years reading this board, I think this is the first time I've ever heard complaints like this.  Anecdotally all I can say is that this has never happened to us in 25+ Princess cruises and as recently as 3 weeks ago I reserved (through my TA) 3 cabins for a June cruise and the insurance was not added to any of the invoices. 

On 11/30/2019 at 11:48 AM, paul1439 said:

Normally they (travel agent or Princess agent} ask you if you want travel insurance. After you say yes then they send you the declaration of coverage. 

My TA sends terms and explains insurance before I buy. I buy annual travel medical through Alliance. Add trip interruption/ cancellation if trip is costly. 

On 12/2/2019 at 9:01 AM, paul1439 said:

Princess Insurance does not let you cancel for any reason. Specified reasons only. Any reason is not one of them.

Re Princess insurance cancel for any reason:

well,I bought it once. Did not have to use it though. 

Really need to read policy terms. Some require you purchase insurance at time of booking , not waiting until final payment. 

On 12/1/2019 at 2:53 AM, paul1439 said:

Why should people book travel insurance thru cruise lines when you can book independent travel insurance for any excursions or airlines?

My thoughts exactly.

On 11/29/2019 at 4:26 PM, Thrak said:

Why would anybody expect Princess to cover excursions from competitors? Princess offers excursions. Other companies offer excursions. They are not at all related. I don't understand why you would have ever expected some other company's excursions to be covered under Princess insurance.

I must be in the minority (I often am) but before I read any of this thread I'd have assumed <never a good idea, I know> that travel insurance was travel insurance. I know there is tremendous variation about what is covered, but I'd have expected an travel insurance to cover something like the OP posted. So I am glad he posted it; I learned something today.

We always get (non-Princess) trip insurance, but generally it's for we old timers who might have to be evacuated for medical reasons, personal illness after paying off the cruise, with some coverage for lost bags, airline connections, etc. Ours does cover any excursion. Not saying that's better or worse from Princess' coverage, just that it meets our particular needs, and when I checked Princess' coverage many years ago it did not meet our needs for the cost.

So don't hammer the poor OP too badly, please.

Doug

• Like 1

On 12/2/2019 at 6:01 AM, paul1439 said:

Not exactly. Don't you hate it when a few clicks on the droid shows the fallacy?

Screenshot_20191231-051053_Chrome.thumb.jpg.395bbb925d202927c5f3105f2631cd37.jpg

But your complaint was about an outside excursion company. I pay a few dollars more for the privilege of paying on the pier.

1 hour ago, PaperSniper4 said:

I must be in the minority (I often am) but before I read any of this thread I'd have assumed <never a good idea, I know> that travel insurance was travel insurance. I know there is tremendous variation about what is covered, but I'd have expected an travel insurance to cover something like the OP posted. So I am glad he posted it; I learned something today.

We always get (non-Princess) trip insurance, but generally it's for we old timers who might have to be evacuated for medical reasons, personal illness after paying off the cruise, with some coverage for lost bags, airline connections, etc. Ours does cover any excursion. Not saying that's better or worse from Princess' coverage, just that it meets our particular needs, and when I checked Princess' coverage many years ago it did not meet our needs for the cost.

So don't hammer the poor OP too badly, please.

Doug

We always got non princess insurance ,hubby hit 70 and it went through the roof! We had to cancel a cruise because I fell fractured a few ribs  insurance was great through the cruise line! We don't go far from home cannot afford it just grateful we get to cruise at all!  We both carry health insurance!

Edited by Reader0108598

In our 70's, independent insurance for our upcoming 28 day cruise was VERY expensive.  So, we took the Princess coverage and for a couple hundred more, added medical and evacuation coverage to fill in the gaps of the Princess coverage.  Saved about $800 this way.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2019 at 10:08 PM, capriccio said:

Just for clarification - are you saying you authorized a payment for X amount (including no insurance) but you were charged Y amount (fare plus insurance) without any authorization?

In my many years reading this board, I think this is the first time I've ever heard complaints like this.  Anecdotally all I can say is that this has never happened to us in 25+ Princess cruises and as recently as 3 weeks ago I reserved (through my TA) 3 cabins for a June cruise and the insurance was not added to any of the invoices. 

18 hours ago, leck57 said:

My thoughts exactly.

Third party insurance cost is based on the cost of the trip and your age.  Cruise insurance can be cheaper if you are up in years because their insurance is "one price fits all."  It is the same price if you are 3 or 103. Being of that "certain age,"  For instance, I  live very close to Galveston.  If I am going out of Galveston, I may not get third party insurance because I have no airfare to port, no hotel, and no excursions (been there done, that) and the paltry 25K medi-vac can get me home from Cozumel most likely.  Any other time, third party door to door coverage by third party.

• Like 1