Club Orange Cost Update

Crew News

Just now, VMax1700 said:

So 7 days X 15USd = 105 - 50 obc = 55 usd cost!  = no brainer!

The offer covered both 7-day legs of my B2B:  14 days X 15 = 210 - 50 OBC = $160 ($11.43/day).  The offer also includes use of the expanded Neptune Suites Room Service Breakfast menu with the free mimosa ($3.95 value) and 8 oz strip loin steak w/eggs ($9.50 value). 

The combined value of the additional breakfast items ($13.45) from Room Service, or Club Orange, exceeds the cost/day that I was charged.

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Just spent 39 days on the NS, every time we passed by the CO dining area it was nearly empty. 

It seems like the head honchos in Seattle goofed again. Is the Oprah thingy successful? The T-shirts were selling at half price in their little corner in the ship's store on my last cruise.   I can just imagine how much getting the Oprah brand cost HAL.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Just spent 39 days on the NS, every time we passed by the CO dining area it was nearly empty.  

Same here.  We just can't figure out why people enjoy dining in what looks to us like a fishbowl or aquarium.  It is way to bright to enjoy a relaxed meal with everyone walking outside staring in.

• Like 1

We just got off Koningsdam (21 Day Carib Trip) - and we absolutely loved Club Orange!  

We did not find the 'fishbowl' aspect a problem.  The staff was great, they remembered us & our preferences.  We were able to buy a couple bottles of wine, which they held for us (and brought out each dinner).  

CO generally opened a half hour before the main dining room & wait was non-existent (which is a big deal for us, as we like to eat early).  The biggest element for us was the service.  The one meal we ate at the main dining room took well over two hours - with long waits between courses & drink refills - and long lines to be seated.  

The CO dinners were about one hour, with a very attentive wait staff.  We were in a Neptune Suite, so, the CO was included......but, we are strongly considering purchasing it on future cruses - if it's available.

• Like 1

We had the same positive experience with Club Orange as Name Taken on the Koningsdam.  I don't know how I would have survived the noisy and slow dining room or the busy Lido buffet for a month. We had lunch in both.  

Eating in the 'glass' CO is no different than eating in a top notch street café with personal service. I watched people walk by on their way to the main dining room, saw some great outfits, some 'what were you thinking', some wine glasses. My red wine bottle was already on the table. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jimbo59 said:

Some people like the large tables in the MDR because they like to meet other people and enjoy long extended dinners (2 hours or more].

Club Orange might be best for people who want to dine alone, or with one other person.

Yes, as a solo, I would find Club Orange quite liberating. I really do not like to talk to new people (especially in the mornings).  CO would allow me to drink my coffee quietly while reading the newspaper without any prattle from neighbors.

18 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

Yes, as a solo, I would find Club Orange quite liberating. I really do not like to talk to new people (especially in the mornings).  CO would allow me to drink my coffee quietly while reading the newspaper without any prattle from neighbors.

Since people are generally friendly on a cruise, how do you handle a situation where a passenger at a neighboring table starts talking to you?  Just curious.  My mom would never speak to anyone until after that first cup of coffee in the morning, which is why Dad would serve her the first cup in bed.  We kids knew to tiptoe first thing in the morning.  After that first cup, she was find.

Edited by sevenseasnomad
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Since people are generally friendly on a cruise, how do you handle a situation where a passenger at a neighboring table starts talking to you?  Just curious.  My mom would never speak to anyone until after that first cup of coffee in the morning, which is why Dad would serve her the first cup in bed.  After that first cup, she was find.

Yes, I am wondering the same.

I can be fake friendly if that is what you want.  But I have great difficulty being sincere and authentic to strangers. I need to get to know them in some manner before I can trust. i do not cruise to meet new people (who you will never see again and soon forget). I cruise for the ports.  I like trying new foods and seeing how people live. It's about exploring other cultures for me.

• Like 3

On 12/5/2019 at 2:59 AM, Krazy Kruizers said:

With HAL offering the CO at $15 per person per day and possibly with some shipboard credit, it sounds like  on some cruises the CO is not selling well.

I think that they are worried about their inability to sell fares at decent prices. The cheap CO is a way of increasing the value proposition.

Would you sail with HAL because of the cheap CO?

On 12/4/2019 at 6:26 PM, 57redbird said:

Hoping that price will be offered for our cruise in April on the Maasdam.

I believe that there is about a 100% chance that that price will be offered on Maasdam.

HOWEVER

The ships that they are referring to on this thread are the new Pinnacle class.  On that class there is a dedicated CO venue.  On the older ships there is no dedicated venue.  Your meals on Maasdam will be where they always have been, including breakfast. 

IMO, the value of CO on the smaller ships is solely dependent upon your Mariner status or your stateroom class.  If you are below 4* and not in a Neptune Suite it may represent value to you.....priority boarding, tendering, etc.  Again, that's my opinion.

On my last cruise -- two months ago on Volendam -- I was offered CO at $15.  But I'm 4*, so I could perceive no added value and did not accept the offer. 

Edited by Av8rix

52 minutes ago, Av8rix said:

I believe that there is about a 100% chance that that price will be offered on Maasdam.

HOWEVER

The ships that they are referring to on this thread are the new Pinnacle class.  On that class there is a dedicated CO venue.  On the older ships there is no dedicated venue.  Your meals on Maasdam will be where they always have been, including breakfast. 

IMO, the value of CO on the smaller ships is solely dependent upon your Mariner status or your stateroom class.  If you are below 4* and not in a Neptune Suite it may represent value to you.....priority boarding, tendering, etc.  Again, that's my opinion.

On my last cruise -- two months ago on Volendam -- I was offered CO at $15.  But I'm 4*, so I could perceive no added value and did not accept the offer. 

We are lowly 3* & in a suite (not Neptune) ---- we'll have to wait & see.

10 hours ago, Name Taken said:

We just got off Koningsdam (21 Day Carib Trip) - and we absolutely loved Club Orange!  

We did not find the 'fishbowl' aspect a problem.  The staff was great, they remembered us & our preferences.  We were able to buy a couple bottles of wine, which they held for us (and brought out each dinner).  

CO generally opened a half hour before the main dining room & wait was non-existent (which is a big deal for us, as we like to eat early).  The biggest element for us was the service.  The one meal we ate at the main dining room took well over two hours - with long waits between courses & drink refills - and long lines to be seated.  

The CO dinners were about one hour, with a very attentive wait staff.  We were in a Neptune Suite, so, the CO was included......but, we are strongly considering purchasing it on future cruses - if it's available.

I opted to eat at The MDR on this first night of the cruise and I was on my way to my room in 50 minutes.  The bugs in the use of tablets must have been resolved as food was being served within five minutes after finishing each course.  Club Orange has the same menu with roasted chicken added.

Edited by Crew News

More Club Orange benefits that I will receive include a private kitchen tour for CO members that is more in depth than the first sea day kitchen tour that is open to all passengers.  I also get a free jewelry cleaning, a one-on-one spa consultation, priority booking for Black Label photography, and a glass of sparkling wine with a private Merabella jewelry showing.  As I typed the previous list, I noted that am offered the opportunity to spend more money than I had budgeted for this cruise.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Name Taken said:

Exactly our experience and opinion too on the Koningsdam in CO.  Hoping it will be as delightful as we remembered when we get to experience it again in January. Would also strongly consider purchasing if not in a Neptune as long as it was on the Koningsdam or Nieuw Statendam that provides a designated dining space and kitchen.  Did not miss the breakfasts in the Pinnacle for one second. Would also like to add that we would not consider purchasing it on any of the other ships at this time that are only offering CO dining in the MDR. The rest of the perks other than dining (for us) would be redundant due to mariner status.  

We paid $160 per person for a Club Orange upgrade in July on the Nieuw Statendam. We loved it. The food was excellent and we enjoyed "people watching" as we ate. I traveled with my mom and she really benefited from the smaller dining room and attentive staff. I would absolutely purchase again on a ship with a dedicated dining room.

12 minutes ago, PandaBear62 said:

We paid $160 per person for a Club Orange upgrade in July on the Nieuw Statendam. We loved it. The food was excellent and we enjoyed "people watching" as we ate. I traveled with my mom and she really benefited from the smaller dining room and attentive staff. I would absolutely purchase again on a ship with a dedicated dining room.

Happy to hear you enjoyed Club Orange on the NS as much as we have on the K twice. Sounds like the same we experienced too. Our last cruise we were traveling with our mobile yet sometimes cranky at dinnertime 🙂 aging parents. (92, 84  & 80) The quiet smaller venue where we could all sit together and actually hear each other, the early dining available, the very patient staff to guest ratio and excellent food at breakfast and dinner was PRICELESS. Anytime arrival, because things can and do happen while wrangling 3 cabins, showers, dress codes, medication timing etc was indeed PERFECT and memorable for our family. Husband and I actually got a moment to breathe thanks to CO and the dining accommodations for our aging tribe. SO Looking forward to that quiet table for two again after the holidays in January @ Club Orange...  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Crusinsusan2 said:

Happy to hear you enjoyed Club Orange on the NS as much as we have on the K twice. Sounds like the same we experienced too. Our last cruise we were traveling with our mobile yet sometimes cranky at dinnertime 🙂 aging parents. (92, 84  & 80) The quiet smaller venue where we could all sit together and actually hear each other, the early dining available, the very patient staff to guest ratio and excellent food at breakfast and dinner was PRICELESS. Anytime arrival, because things can and do happen while wrangling 3 cabins, showers, dress codes, medication timing etc was indeed PERFECT and memorable for our family. Husband and I actually got a moment to breathe thanks to CO and the dining accommodations for our aging tribe. SO Looking forward to that quiet table for two again after the holidays in January @ Club Orange...  

LOL, that description is perfect for my mom......"mobile yet sometimes cranky". She really felt spoiled and that helped her disposition all week, which in turn, helped mine!

I'm traveling solo on the Koningsdam right now. I absolutely love Club orange. The staff and food is fantastic (always fresh). I have a small table where I can watch everything going on. I converse if I want to or stay to myself. The "fish bowl" has not been an issue at all (I am seated right next to the windows) as I can people watch and watch the ocean go by as well. I cannot imagine enduring the MDR or Lido every again. Club Orange has totally spoiled me!!

Edited by ColoRockiesFan
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Crew News said:

Club Orange has the same menu with roasted chicken added.

The roasted chicken is a Peruvian roasted chicken with a layer of spice, not quite the same preparation as your Southern mom's. It is just one of the extra dishes, a different one every day. 

• Like 1

I'm seriously considering getting this for our upcoming NS cruise in February.  We will be travelling with my sister who is a one or two star Mariner so has few perks (and we're on different booking numbers) for one week of our B2B cruise.  CO would take care of our differences in priority status.  However, we do enjoy meeting others at dinner.  Can one share tables in the Club Orange dining room, if one chooses to?  

28 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

I'm seriously considering getting this for our upcoming NS cruise in February.  We will be travelling with my sister who is a one or two star Mariner so has few perks (and we're on different booking numbers) for one week of our B2B cruise.  CO would take care of our differences in priority status.  However, we do enjoy meeting others at dinner.  Can one share tables in the Club Orange dining room, if one chooses to?  

Club Orange tables are not assigned and can be shared, or not shared, with all of those using Club Orange.