Has anyone done a NYE sailing with NCL?

Greek Boss

Hey everyone, I know this has been asked sporadically on here but I can't seem to find many answers.

I will finally be spending NYE at sea for the first time (it's been on the bucket list) on the Sky out of Miami on 12/30 for a 4 day sailing. We are a group of low to mid 20 year old's so we are just wondering how a Holiday sailing is for a group of us who love the nightlife and whatnot of a cruise ship..

-How is the overall demographic over NYE? Is it mostly families as well as an older age group, or is it more of a mix with a younger crowd since it is a shorter sailing? We were on the Sky for 3 days out of Miami over Memorial Day Weekend and found a large percentage of the cruisers were in our age group so we had a really fun time. Just wondering if it is any different for New Years?

-Does everyone typically dress up for New Years on NCL? I know we all love freestyle cruising, however as of now I am more likely than not going to bring a suit with me to wear for the celebration.

-Will there be a lot of events going on for the NYE celebration or is it just usually one big one for the countdown?

If you have any other info or tidbits feel free to let me know. Everything is appreciated! We actually booked this back in June when the Sky was still being advertised as an Open Bar Cruise so for this sailing they are still honoring every guest with the Alcohol Package if their reservation was booked before the end of June! I can't wait!

Edited by Greek Boss

I did NYE on the Escape a couple years ago. It was less families than Christmas and WAY more party people in their 20s/30s - a lot of people got stuck in ship jail because their behavior was so bad. But that's also NYE and the amateur night aspect of drinking around a big holiday.  On Escape they had a few different NYE parties, but the best one was in Spice H2O. Not sure about Sky's demographics, but given the short trip and NYE being involved I would guess you're going to have a lot of younger people on board. Plenty of people dress up for that night, but it's not required. If you want to make sure you have champagne before the midnight toast, tip the bartenders at the bar you are going to party at early and often.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Vertigirl99 said:

I did NYE on the Escape a couple years ago. It was less families than Christmas and WAY more party people in their 20s/30s - a lot of people got stuck in ship jail because their behavior was so bad. But that's also NYE and the amateur night aspect of drinking around a big holiday.  On Escape they had a few different NYE parties, but the best one was in Spice H2O. Not sure about Sky's demographics, but given the short trip and NYE being involved I would guess you're going to have a lot of younger people on board. Plenty of people dress up for that night, but it's not required. If you want to make sure you have champagne before the midnight toast, tip the bartenders at the bar you are going to party at early and often.

Thank you for the response! Sounds like it will be very similar to the MDW cruise - there were way too many people stumbling around on the way to the Muster Drill! Do they give out champagne prior as a party favor or do you have to purchase it? 

We have sailed on Dawn for NYE twice and just sailed on Pearl for NYE 12 18.

Very similar! Great dinners in the MDR. Parties around the ship, but we opted for the main pool deck celebration.

Go early and find a place to stay for the festivities. They pass out noise makers and party hats for ladies and men.

The crew has a giant ice carving of the outgoing year that goes into the pool at midnight. Good music and dancing on the pool deck. Ship's officers present and join in the fun.

There is a bar at the top of the pool deck seating area. We were able to grab a table on Dawn and had a great view. Tables were already taken on Pearl so we lined up along the upper deck.

They also have a balloon drop in the atrium area but we like being outside. 

Dress is all over the block. Some casual; some more dressed up. Not many in formal attire but again, it is the pool deck. Some dress for dinner and then change into more casual outfits.

They serve post midnight food in the buffet area. Lots to choose from!

It is a great way to spend NYE. This year we are doing Christmas on board but would be happy to stay for NYE!

• Like 1

On 12/16/2019 at 5:09 PM, Vertigirl99 said:

This is probably a silly question, but what is ship jail?

14 hours ago, Loucat said:

We have sailed on Dawn for NYE twice and just sailed on Pearl for NYE 12 18.

Very similar! Great dinners in the MDR. Parties around the ship, but we opted for the main pool deck celebration.

Go early and find a place to stay for the festivities. They pass out noise makers and party hats for ladies and men.

The crew has a giant ice carving of the outgoing year that goes into the pool at midnight. Good music and dancing on the pool deck. Ship's officers present and join in the fun.

There is a bar at the top of the pool deck seating area. We were able to grab a table on Dawn and had a great view. Tables were already taken on Pearl so we lined up along the upper deck.

They also have a balloon drop in the atrium area but we like being outside. 

Dress is all over the block. Some casual; some more dressed up. Not many in formal attire but again, it is the pool deck. Some dress for dinner and then change into more casual outfits.

They serve post midnight food in the buffet area. Lots to choose from!

It is a great way to spend NYE. This year we are doing Christmas on board but would be happy to stay for NYE!

Lucky you! The Pool Deck festivities sound like they will be the most entertaining for the countdown especially with the ice carving. Does the party on the Pool Deck go on until a certain time after the countdown and then continue down at Bliss for the remainder of the night or do they continue separately? Thank you all for your answers!

14 hours ago, blueslily said:

This is probably a silly question, but what is ship jail?

The brig.  Every ship has one and security can and will place you there for specific offenses.  They can also disembark you at the next port for egregious offenses.

We were on the Epic out of Port Canaveral - it will be 2 years this New Years!

We had a fun Bar Crawl which was organized by one of our CC members.  The BEST one ever!!  We all brought/wore white T-shirts and had colored markers.  At each bar, more funny sentiments were written on the shirts...…………….ya had to be there!! 

No, it was not NYE (for the bar crawl) but made the NYE cruise one of the best trips.

We found there were all ages, don't discount us "older folks" - we lasted longer than the "youngins" 🥳  But, as was mentioned above, after midnight, the deck party wound down. People were dressed in casual, chic to dressy attire. 

We did not encounter many families but then again, we did score POSH passes. 😁 

We would definitely do it again if it worked with our holiday plans.

• Like 1

We enjoyed New Year’s Eve Cruise on the spirit out of New York City twice quite a few years ago. Tons of fun. Dancing party at multiple locations. Shorter the cruise the younger the crowd. Drink water in between the alcohol. Dance like nobody’s watching. You’re never going to see these people again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cementhands said:

We enjoyed New Year’s Eve Cruise on the spirit out of New York City twice quite a few years ago. Tons of fun. Dancing party at multiple locations. Shorter the cruise the younger the crowd. Drink water in between the alcohol. Dance like nobody’s watching. You’re never going to see these people again.

"Dance like nobody's watching" Love it!  😃🤗 

• Thanks 1

On 12/18/2019 at 3:57 PM, Tyskie said:

We were on the Epic out of Port Canaveral - it will be 2 years this New Years!

We had a fun Bar Crawl which was organized by one of our CC members.  The BEST one ever!!  We all brought/wore white T-shirts and had colored markers.  At each bar, more funny sentiments were written on the shirts...…………….ya had to be there!! 

No, it was not NYE (for the bar crawl) but made the NYE cruise one of the best trips.

We found there were all ages, don't discount us "older folks" - we lasted longer than the "youngins" 🥳  But, as was mentioned above, after midnight, the deck party wound down. People were dressed in casual, chic to dressy attire. 

We did not encounter many families but then again, we did score POSH passes. 😁 

We would definitely do it again if it worked with our holiday plans.

Thanks everyone for all of your comments - I am beyond excited! Can't wait to spend the holiday at sea!!!

• Like 1