Gramercy Tavern

buckeye rob

16 hours ago, buckeye rob said:

Gramercy Tavern worth an  evening ?

We have been going since it opened in the early 90s and it is consistently excellent (as are most things that Danny Meyer does). Gramercy is a significantly better restaurant than Delmonicos if it were between the two. 

Peter Lugar isn't bad (despite the scathing review it recently got in the NYT) but I did agree with it that Lugar's is a bit past its prime. If you want a really good, authentic, old NY steakhouse, Keen's does a very good job and is oozing atmosphere. 

Delmonico menu is great we both had the filet mignon which was only 49 and was huge it was cooked perfectly and was over 12 ounces which is a bargain for New York City . Will book our May trip soon. Also Delmonico had a large wine list with again decent prices.

9 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have been dining in Gramercy Tavern nearly 50 years.

If I'm not mistaken, didn't it only open about 20 or 25 years ago...at least in its current form and under current ownership?

Note: this 2014 article about the restaurant's 20th anniversary confirms that it opened 25 years ago: https://www.eater.com/2014/7/16/6186263/20-years-of-gramercy-tavern-a-restaurant-that-forever-changed-nyc

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, njhorseman said:

If I'm not mistaken, didn't it only open about 20 or 25 years ago...at least in its current form and under current ownership?

Note: this 2014 article about the restaurant's 20th anniversary confirms that it opened 25 years ago: https://www.eater.com/2014/7/16/6186263/20-years-of-gramercy-tavern-a-restaurant-that-forever-changed-nyc

You are correct.I was thinking of another venue.I should have known that I erred .

Union Square Cafe is also excellent. Owned by the same group that owns Gramercy Park. For $77 pp you get a fantastic 3 course prix fixe dinner. No tips accepted. Not even the coat check girl. The room is large and airy and no problem hearing each other. 

12 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

Union Square Cafe is also excellent. Owned by the same group that owns Gramercy Park.

I agree with you that USC is very good, but its not as good as it was since the move when it was in the original location. I'm sure they will get it right at some point but its lacking something that the old one had. The new space isn't as intimate. I'm a huge fan of Danny Meyer and have been going to USC since literally the week it opened so it pains me to say that but they will get it right as they always do. 

46 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

I agree with you that USC is very good, but its not as good as it was since the move when it was in the original location. I'm sure they will get it right at some point but its lacking something that the old one had. The new space isn't as intimate. I'm a huge fan of Danny Meyer and have been going to USC since literally the week it opened so it pains me to say that but they will get it right as they always do. 

I too have been going to USC since it opened.In 1998 a friend of mine who was also a friend of Danny took me there to celebrate my birthday .However,when the restaurant opened in 1985 I was working on Park Avenue South and would regularly go there to eat.

3 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

We were there last night. The food, drinks and service on point. The good thing with the large space is that more folks can get a reservation now. lol 

7 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

We were there last night. The food, drinks and service on point.

Good to hear. We were regulars, a few times a month, when we lived in Midtown but don't get there as much now that we moved to Philly (which has its own incredible food scene, but separate subject). Main reason for not going back was a lot of our favorite long time staff didn't come over to the new location. Will go check it out when I'm back in NYC in a couple weeks.