Venice Hotels

chijefrench

Hello,

Our 9 day cruise ends in Venice August 2020 and we'd like to spend a few days exploring the city. I have no idea what Hotel to book. We don't want to go too cheap but not too expensive. My Agent suggested La Fenice Et Des Artistes. Is this a good choice? Suggestions are greatly appreciated!

You can check reviews for a particular hotel on TripAdvisor. We have not stayed at the particular hotel you mention & looking at its location on the map, it would not be one would choose as we prefer to stay closer to (or overlooking) the Grand Canal. There are lots of options in Venice depending on your price point.

There is a lot of useful information regarding Venice hotels here:

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/venice-hotels.htm

Edited by dogs4fun

2 minutes ago, chijefrench said:

Thank you. Yes, I looked at Trip advisor but was looking for a point of view and suggestions from people who have cruised to that Port.

When we cruise in or out of Venice we usually stay in the vicinity of Piazzale Roma - it is very convenient to the cruise terminal & we also find it convenient for sightseeing. The hotels in this area are not overly expensive (Venice is quite expensive). We have stayed at the following hotels either pre or post cruise - all we good choices.

Santa Chiara - we booked a room that had a canal view

Ca Doge 

Arlecchino 

Olimpia 

It is a very short walk across the bridge to the train station - also a short walk to vaporetto stops on either side of the Grand Canal.

How easily you can manage your luggage is often the deciding factor for a hotel location in Venice.  

Can you carry your luggage for a few blocks and over a bridge or 2?   If so, you can stay anywhere in Venice, including the hotel recommended by your TA.

If you have too much luggage you may find it easier to stay near the Piazzale Roma, which is the last point of land travel in Venice.  It's a large square where buses, cars, taxis drop off their passengers.   There are 3 or 4 hotels right on the square, and several more that require a 5 minute walk and a small bridge to cross.  It's not an attractive area, but convenient.  

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/bridges/piazzale-roma.htm

OR, you could make an overnight bag, and leave your other suticases at the Left Luggage facility at Piazzale Roma. Then walk 2 blocks to the Grand Canal, hop on a water bus and stay anywhere in Venice.

We like the location of the Ca Sagredo. Its a great hotel with a rooftop bar overlooking the grand canal and its central to almost everything. You can get almost any of the highlights in less than 10 minutes on foot. It is also not a long walk from the cruise port or train station if you can manage your luggage.

Thank you all for your feedback. This is exactly what I was looking for. I decided to stay in Piazzale Roma for the convenience as I'm not a light packer and I didn't realize what a pain it would be hauling our luggage. I think we narrowed it down to Olimpia!

Edited by chijefrench

We agree with the other posters about the convenience of staying in or very close to the Piazale Roma.   One cannot stress enough about the challenge of moving around Venice with luggage.   While the hotel mentioned by the OP might be a decent hotel, its location is far from ideal if one has to deal with luggage.  

Hank

Another vote for the location of Piazzele Roma.  We stayed in La Locandia Osaria which was just around the corner from the slightly posher-looking Olimpia.  It was actually a perfectly acceptable hotel and I would stay there again just because of the location.  There were no lifts but I would imagine that this would be the same in other small hotels in Venice.  

We have stayed at the Olimpia twice and looking to book it again for our trip this October. Great staff, nice rooms, excellent breakfast and the location is great .  Only one bridge from the Piazza to the hotel. Once you are checked in and bag free it is a short walk to a large vaporetto stop where you can get lines to almost anywhere.   At the end of the day you can walk out of the hotel turn right, walk a block to the canal, turn right again and walk another block to a very nice little restaurant and bar of a quiet dinner indoors or out and then you can walk across they way to a great little gelato shop.  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/20/2019 at 6:04 PM, chijefrench said:

Thank you all for your feedback. This is exactly what I was looking for. I decided to stay in Piazzale Roma for the convenience as I'm not a light packer and I didn't realize what a pain it would be hauling our luggage. I think we narrowed it down to Olimpia!

Here is a link with a video showing exactly how to get to the hotel from the airport bus drop-off point in Piazza Roma.  There is a bridge to cross with stairs up and back down. Depending on your physical ability handling luggage this may or may not be a problem.

Directions to Hotel Olimpia Venezia | Venice for Visitors (europeforvisitors.com)

Edited by Red Haired Lady

We really enjoyed the Marriott Autograph hotel. Road a boat directly from the airport to the back of the hotel. Former French Embassy and built in the 1500’s. We love to walk and spent 5 days there and really enjoyed it.