carnival collision

ski ww

3 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Being of simple mind and feeding off the bottom, I thought it was a girls name; something about "Wonderland".................:classic_cool:

I was thinking it would have been a perfect name for our rambunctious, wild, Golden Retriever who thinks the world revolves around him: except he’s a boy. 

ALL boy!

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, fla gang said:

I wonder why there was no thrust from the azipods. The water should have been churning a lot if they were using them to push away from the other ship. Maybe I just missed something!

I read on the Carnival board, a description of the full maneuver executed by the captain of the Glory -- to avoid crashing into the Oasis OTS -- contributed by a passenger ON the Oasis. I didn't memorize it, but it involved the Glory continuing to move forward (even as her dining room was being ripped asunder) until her bow had cleared the bow of the Oasis, THEN applying thrusters (I think this is the order) and maybe pods to propel the sides away (with the prow missing the Oasis thanks to the initial forward movement). And then correcting from THAT vector of motion. It was described as an "S" maneuver,  something like a car on black ice.

Those on the Oasis were in awe.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, fla gang said:

I wonder why there was no thrust from the azipods. The water should have been churning a lot if they were using them to push away from the other ship. Maybe I just missed something!

Probably because the glory does not have a azipods. 

On 12/21/2019 at 5:20 PM, Copper10-8 said:

Doesn't work that way; the captain has ultimate responsibility and is always on the bridge next to (or behind) the pilot when entering or leaving a port

I agree.  The new captain of the NS gave a very nice explanation of why we missed our port of Key West on 12/21 due to high winds.  He mentioned how the pilot said something like 'yes, lets go ahead and go for it.'  Then the captain explained how the pilot thought it was fine and dandy, but he the captain would be responsible for any damage/injuries that occurred while trying to get into that port during gale force winds.

I feel bad for the captain and officers involved.  I'm sure none of them willingly thought 'gee, lets just crash into this other ship,' because unfortunately mother nature doesn't always cooperate when operating a huge cruise ship in rough waters and wind.

Edited by smilesntravels
  • Like 1

Btw, the damage sustained by Glory has been temporarily patched up and she departed Nawlins on 22 Dec. Crews worked throughout the night to enclose the aft dining room which took the brunt of the damage, removing said damage and welding in new steel to cover the opening.  

Carnival Glory Repaired

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Btw, the damage sustained by Glory has been temporarily patched up and she departed Nawlins on 22 Dec. Crews worked throughout the night to enclose the aft dining room which took the brunt of the damage, removing said damage and welding in new steel to cover the opening.  

Carnival Glory Repaired

Impressive 

• Like 1

On 12/23/2019 at 1:16 PM, smilesntravels said:

I agree.  The new captain of the NS gave a very nice explanation of why we missed our port of Key West on 12/21 due to high winds.  He mentioned how the pilot said something like 'yes, lets go ahead and go for it.'  Then the captain explained how the pilot thought it was fine and dandy, but he the captain would be responsible for any damage/injuries that occurred while trying to get into that port during gale force winds.

I feel bad for the captain and officers involved.  I'm sure none of them willingly thought 'gee, lets just crash into this other ship,' because unfortunately mother nature doesn't always cooperate when operating a huge cruise ship in rough waters and wind.

Key West can be really dicey.  On our very first cruise, Sovereign of the Seas, we were 8 hours late getting out of Key West due to gale force winds. 

2 hours ago, knittinggirl said:

Key West can be really dicey.  On our very first cruise, Sovereign of the Seas, we were 8 hours late getting out of Key West due to gale force winds. 

The problem with Key West is the approach.  You have to navigate a narrow channel that is about 6 miles long.  The final approach is a dogleg to starboard into what's called Cut Bravo, which is even more narrow than the main channel.  These cuts are what often prevent ships from approaching and leaving during high winds.  Plus, the turning basin is rather narrow.  

• Like 2

We've had more ports cancelled/departure change due to fog than wind.  But they did cancel St. Johns Newfoundland due to wind. 

I keep wondering how they got all those disabled people out.  Especially those in scooters?  

Edited by knittinggirl