Fires around Sydney

jhenry1

7 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

You are such a good egg. Thank you for your generosity.

Thanks Mic. Every year, I pick a worthy cause to donate to. Because we were gone for so long, I am behind. I can only hope that Australia's people and animals can recover from this nightmare.

Australia Strong!

1 minute ago, NoWhiners said:

Thanks Mic. Every year, I pick a worthy cause to donate to. Because we were gone for so long, I am behind. I can only hope that Australia's people and animals can recover from this nightmare.

Australia Strong!

Together we can all build a better place.

18 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

Leigh

Thank you!! I was able to donate to the one in the quote above; koala hospital still didn't work. I hope my small ($200) donation does some good.

Thank you for providing the link. I should have just asked you first 😁

ML

Thank you so much ML, that is an extremely generous donation. I'm sure that Wildlife Victoria are very grateful for it. I'm glad you were able to get through to their website to make your donation.

Leigh

Just now, possum52 said:

Thank you so much ML, that is an extremely generous donation. I'm sure that Wildlife Victoria are very grateful for it. I'm glad you were able to get through to their website to make your donation.

Leigh

Thanks but really not much considering the devastation, I wish I could give more. These are the times we must all stick together, as Mic said. As an offset, I spent the afternoon digging up a huge cactus that grew in our front yard this summer. I hate that cactus--but I love koalas ☺️ I'm hoping it's gone forever!

Thanks again for the (working) link.

Hope you stay cool and the smoke dissipates.

1 minute ago, NoWhiners said:

Thanks but really not much considering the devastation, I wish I could give more. These are the times we must all stick together, as Mic said. As an offset, I spent the afternoon digging up a huge cactus that grew in our front yard this summer. I hate that cactus--but I love koalas ☺️ I'm hoping it's gone forever!

Thanks again for the (working) link.

Hope you stay cool and the smoke dissipates.

Not much smoke here today thank goodness but it is expected to hang around for a while, at least no where as bad as the fire areas or Canberra and Sydney. We have been quite lucky really.

Only about 25 here today and sunny now after a partly cloudy day. Low 30s expected for next couple of days and much hotter in the fire areas with stronger winds. The authorities are warning of Friday being a spike day for fire activity and they are very worried.

Leigh

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, it's tragic. We spent a week at Gipsy Point, just up the river from Mallacoota a few years ago. Lovely place. Lots of kangaroos, especially in the early mornings and evenings. I haven't heard how it fared but I suspect it was wiped out in the fires. We went down to Mallacoota a couple of times for lunch.

OzKiwi, not sure if Gipsy Point has been wiped out or not but it sure looks like it may have been from the map on Emergency Vic website - https://www.emergency.vic.gov.au/respond/?=&bbox=149.10232543945312%2C-37.65664491891393%2C150.28335571289062%2C-37.239075302021824&tm=1578465018121#

I haven't been there so not sure where you would have camped.

Hope all is well. I would assume that residents were evacuated to Mallacoota but it would depend on whether they got out early enough. Geneo has been isolated since the fires.

Leigh

Gipsy Point.jpg

Yes, that's what I was thinking, Leigh. We didn't camp, there was a gorgeous lodge there with one and two bedroom apartments. Fully self-contained with a motorboat you could rent for the day and a great BBQ area.  Friends of ours were staying in a nearby house that friends of theirs had lent them. My friends haven't heard anything either. 

1 hour ago, NoWhiners said:

I would like to donate but I have tried this link twice and it doesn't work.

Can you email me at [no-whiners at msn dot com] with more info.  I would like to help the animals (already helped the people)

thanks mate

ETA: their site has somehow broken and they can't take donations right now. I'll try and stay up with news, but would appreciate updates from all of you going thru this. My heart is breaking over the loss and destruction.

Sorry the link didn't work for you, but Leigh helped you out, thankyou for making a donation to our wildlife.

We have more smoke today, it was a hot one.

I have had my 8yr old grandson this week (school holidays) tomorrow we are going here https://www.billabongzoo.com.au/

It is a couple of km's from our home. They have a breeding programme for koalas, we may even adopt one tomorrow to help fund the breeding programme.

• Like 1

It's been very smokey all day here on the east side of Lake Mac, so much that I haven't seen the opposite shore, Coal Point about 3k away, all day and my smoke alarm has gone off a couple of times tonight. I've no idea if this smoke is local or not. The local yachties still had their Wednesday arvo race. It's a wonder they can see their marks - or maybe they can't.

52 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, that's what I was thinking, Leigh. We didn't camp, there was a gorgeous lodge there with one and two bedroom apartments. Fully self-contained with a motorboat you could rent for the day and a great BBQ area.  Friends of ours were staying in a nearby house that friends of theirs had lent them. My friends haven't heard anything either. 

That sounds such a wonderful holiday. I hope, like we plan to, that people will go back to these regions as soon as the areas are opened up to visitors again. The communities need us to spend in their businesses. But I fear it will be some time before they will be at the stage to welcome visitors again. One of the best holidays my family ever had was at Lakes Entrance when our children were in their early teens. We had such a great time.

Leigh

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It was a lovely holiday, Leigh but a bit far to go to from Sydney for regular trips there unfortunately.

It''s quite along way from Melbourne too! Probably 120 km extra from Sydney though. 

Leigh

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

It''s quite along way from Melbourne too! Probably 120 km extra from Sydney though. 

Leigh

Only about 30km surprisingly.  I think there are a few more small towns on the Sydney side which slows things down a bit. 

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Only about 30km surprisingly.  I think there are a few more small towns on the Sydney side which slows things down a bit. 

That does surprise me. We had planned to visit Lakes Entrance in March or April, if we can we might even try to drive as far as Gipsy Point. Hopefully visitors will be able to visit Gippsland again by then.

Leigh

Just wanted to say.......we got 10 minutes of rain yay!!!

I drove into Port Macquarie this morning and the smoke was so bad, the smell was so strong again, it isn't too bad out our way.

Supposed to be about 32c today, but that rain sounded so good, I ran out on the deck and just listened.

• Like 5

On 12/31/2019 at 1:17 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

I hope Les and his family are safe. Latest reports say a fast moving fire has gone through a suburb to the south of Batemans Bay, which is where I think Les said he lived. 😧

I have just heard form Uncle Les, they are fine, are staying in Sydney (with family) as there is no power at their house. They have not been back as yet since Xmas.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, cheznandy said:

Just wanted to say.......we got 10 minutes of rain yay!!!

I drove into Port Macquarie this morning and the smoke was so bad, the smell was so strong again, it isn't too bad out our way.

Supposed to be about 32c today, but that rain sounded so good, I ran out on the deck and just listened.

It rained for a bit in Sydney and I just  couldn't get enough of that fresh rain smell🤗

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I have just heard form Uncle Les, they are fine, are staying in Sydney (with family) as there is no power at their house. They have not been back as yet since Xmas.

That's good to hear, Mic. Thanks.

30 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I hate to think what their fridge and freezer are like, being without power for an extended period of time.

Edited by Aus Traveller

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

That is the best news I have hear for some time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Thanks Mic, I was wondering how Les and wife are. 

Leigh

• Like 2