Rolling Stone Rock Room - Big Thumbs up from this cruiser

sprockie

18 hours ago, sprockie said:

I'm actually younger than a boomer.  I'm only 51!😂

That's the same age as Orlando Ashford and close to mine as well. Thank you for the review of RSRR, looks (and sounds) like a must-do for my siblings and sibling-in-laws in our upcoming June NS cruise.

Edited by vicd1969

Love that song list.  A great variety of original artists.   Not the usual, day after day songs played in Billboard Onboard where the daily fare is Beatles, Neil Diamond's Sweet Caroline, Beatles, Billy Joel's Piano man, more Beatles, and a smattering of country.   I wish HAL had come up with RSRR before they signed the deal with Billboard Magazine.

On 12/24/2019 at 6:43 PM, TAD2005 said:

Rolling Stone Rock Room sounds like a venue that I would frequent.   I think HAL should phase out Billboard Onboard and switch to RRSR on all ships.    Or maybe alternate RSRR with BB-King.

As the great speaker company Cerwin Vega said "Loud is Beautiful....If it's Clean".   If the speakers and amps can handle the higher sound levels without distortion, then it is not annoying.  But many bands go cheap on the electronics and just crank it up.   You get massive distortion, and that is extremely annoying, even if the musicians are talented.

You're right about how important the quality of the amplification is. I walked out of a HAL showroom performance by a piano player because the sound was so loud and so badly done that it made a grand piano sound like a tinny toy piano. I couldn't bear to listen to it. 

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Then I guess think I've been old my whole life. 

I have excellent hearing despite being over 51, and I am very protective of it. Just a heads up, Medicare doesn't pay for hearing aids.

Well I'll thank my lucky stars I am Canadian then.  😂

On 12/25/2019 at 4:31 PM, sprockie said:

I noticed on the NS that less money has been invested in the show lounge as compared to other older ships - maybe because they offer different types of entertainment throughout the ship.  

I disagree. They built the fancy video system where half of the room has video projectors and screens (and they expanded the screens from what they did on Koningsdam, adding them on the sides where there had been box seating, or so I have been told). That could not have been cheap. Yes, it's not your standard stage with scenery but they spent the money on the technology instead.

I was not very impressed with the RSRR band on Koningsdam last summer.  It seemed like a bunch of old guys playing in a garage band and I thought they could have used a female singer. I have been to rock concerts (just went to see Billy Joel this month) and I thought RSRR was too loud, but I also think that BB Kings is too loud, and it's certainly louder than Billboard Onboard was on Koningsdam. Ironically, I thought the best place to sit for the Rolling Stone RR sets was *in* Billboard since the volume was more bearable.

I will check them out again when I back on Kdam next week. Hopefully they will be better.

8 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

I disagree. They built the fancy video system where half of the room has video projectors and screens (and they expanded the screens from what they did on Koningsdam, adding them on the sides where there had been box seating, or so I have been told). That could not have been cheap. Yes, it's not your standard stage with scenery but they spent the money on the technology instead.

But the don't use that tech well. On the K last winter, it worked okay with the dancers because it was pre-programmed. But when they had a guest performer (pianist), they couldn't get the backdrops (paintings) in sync with her selections. When she played the drinking song from La Traviata, there were pictures of boats. When she played the next selection, there were pictures of parties. Then they realized there was a problem and turned off the backdrops entirely. When they found where they were supposed to be, they turned it on in the middle of a song, which was very distracting. 

My problem with the LED screens is that they're very bright. I had to leave the dance program halfway through because I was getting a headache. 

47 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

But the don't use that tech well. On the K last winter, it worked okay with the dancers because it was pre-programmed. But when they had a guest performer (pianist), they couldn't get the backdrops (paintings) in sync with her selections. When she played the drinking song from La Traviata, there were pictures of boats. When she played the next selection, there were pictures of parties. Then they realized there was a problem and turned off the backdrops entirely. When they found where they were supposed to be, they turned it on in the middle of a song, which was very distracting. 

My problem with the LED screens is that they're very bright. I had to leave the dance program halfway through because I was getting a headache. 

I agree that they do not use the technology very well. They should be using it for production shows but those are gone. And given how infrequently they use them for anything fancy, they probably don't have the best people on board to use them. Or maybe they just had a programming issue that could not be resolved.

As for the brightness, maybe if you sat in the back it would have been better?

Just to let all of you know,all of the band members have to audition by video,and thats how they are chosen.We were on the Koningsdam earlier this year,and got to be good friends with a couple of the members. They have to practice alot before each show,since they've never performed together.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

I agree that they do not use the technology very well. They should be using it for production shows but those are gone. And given how infrequently they use them for anything fancy, they probably don't have the best people on board to use them. Or maybe they just had a programming issue that could not be resolved.

As for the brightness, maybe if you sat in the back it would have been better?

I did sit at the back. I always do, so if I don't like the show I can leave without disturbing a lot of people. Maybe next time I'll wear sunglasses.  😎

1 minute ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I did sit at the back. I always do, so if I don't like the show I can leave without disturbing a lot of people. Maybe next time I'll wear sunglasses.  😎

We also do that. One thing that I like about the theater setup on K and NS is that you can sit in the lower section and still have an easy exit thru the deck 2 ramp/doors.

10 minutes ago, PatLuv said:

Just to let all of you know,all of the band members have to audition by video,and thats how they are chosen.We were on the Koningsdam earlier this year,and got to be good friends with a couple of the members. They have to practice alot before each show,since they've never performed together.

Do' they get them together in one place for a week or two before sending them to the ship? Or do they just show up on the ship never having performed together? I know with Lincoln Center Stage they  rehearse together (in New York, I think).

On 12/24/2019 at 6:43 PM, TAD2005 said:

Rolling Stone Rock Room sounds like a venue that I would frequent.   I think HAL should phase out Billboard Onboard and switch to RRSR on all ships.    Or maybe alternate RSRR with BB-King.

As the great speaker company Cerwin Vega said "Loud is Beautiful....If it's Clean".   If the speakers and amps can handle the higher sound levels without distortion, then it is not annoying.  But many bands go cheap on the electronics and just crank it up.   You get massive distortion, and that is extremely annoying, even if the musicians are talented.

Thank you for saying that.  As a person with hearing difficulties I am increasingly annoyed that even the sound technicians in many venues, including shipboard performance venues, do not understand that volume does not solve issues of hearing and enjoying music. 

• Like 2

Looking forwards to this on NS next December.

I am very sensitive to loud noises. Have been since I was a baby, or so my mother has always recounted. That said, I usually "adjust" to loudness and good music, well played even when loud doesn't bother me. 

1 hour ago, PatLuv said:

This makes sense as contracts end, people leave etc...….I do know that when they kicked off NS in the US that Memphis group was excellent.  First time on a ship I ever heard a set kick off with "Hey Joe" by Hendrix.  It was surreal like I had to pinch myself to make sure it was real.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

I was not very impressed with the RSRR band on Koningsdam last summer.  It seemed like a bunch of old guys playing in a garage band and I thought they could have used a female singer.

When we were on the K in the early fall there was indeed a female singer with them (she was great).  In the beginning of the cruise she wasn't there because she had been sick -- maybe when you were sailing?

54 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

When we were on the K in the early fall there was indeed a female singer with them (she was great).  In the beginning of the cruise she wasn't there because she had been sick -- maybe when you were sailing?

No, it was in June. I mentioned the idea of a female singer to the CD (forget who it was) and he agreed. I'll be back on board next week, hopefully they will be better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nymich said:

This makes sense as contracts end, people leave etc...….I do know that when they kicked off NS in the US that Memphis group was excellent.  First time on a ship I ever heard a set kick off with "Hey Joe" by Hendrix.  It was surreal like I had to pinch myself to make sure it was real.

But in general the groups stay together during the contract. Obviously people could leave mid-contract for some reason but the original group should have been rehearsed and ready to go before getting on the ship. 

57 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

No, it was in June. I mentioned the idea of a female singer to the CD (forget who it was) and he agreed. I'll be back on board next week, hopefully they will be better.

I really believe you and do not doubt your honesty but this did make me think ... when was the last time you said something to a CD and they did NOT agree 😏

12 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

But in general the groups stay together during the contract. Obviously people could leave mid-contract for some reason but the original group should have been rehearsed and ready to go before getting on the ship. 

Good stuff Bill.  Here is a shot of the original band on NS last year.   I notices HAL uses their picture on their website.  Not sure if they  did another contract but they were excellent! 

Pretty funny the guitarist closest in the picture liked to run down the hall between sets and listen to the BB King All Stars which are excellent as well!  I know they started BB in March of 2013 and we finally got on and saw them in 2014.  We have seen different lineups 4 times with Number 5 coming up in March!  

I realize they scaled back other areas on HAL for the music but we like that change as we move back and forth between HAL and others.

NSRSRRBand.jpg

1 hour ago, Nymich said:

I realize they scaled back other areas on HAL for the music but we like that change as we move back and forth between HAL and others.

Yes, the Music Walk is the area that they've still been spending money on because it differentiates them. Of course, the lack of production shows in the theater also differentiates them, but not in a good way. And both are clearly the direction they want to take.

On 12/27/2019 at 3:25 PM, taxmantoo said:

I really believe you and do not doubt your honesty but this did make me think ... when was the last time you said something to a CD and they did NOT agree 😏

In general they will not agree if you are criticizing something on the ship. He could have said that they were great as is.