Questions About Celebrity Cruise, First Timer

danny8826

Hi everyone,

We have sailed with Royal Caribbean many times.  We are their Diamond members.  We also have sail with Carnival, Norwegian, and Princess.

We are looking at a South America Cruise on the Celebrity Silhouete sailing out of Chile for 14 nights.

We also consider the Norwegian Star, but heard about their ongoing engine problems. 

We haven't sail on Celebrity before so we wanted to know what's the clientele age range like.  Been told by some that the clientele can be snobbish, but wanted to hear from your experiences.  

We enjoy Royal and Carnival because of the dance classes they offer as well as some night party.

Will there be any dance classes offer?

What's the night life on the ship like?  Usually after the shows, there would be places to listen to music or a party or two.  

We choose not to ever cruise with Princess again because it seems like nothing else happen after the shows.  

Thank you,

Danny

We haven’t found the cruisers on Celebrity to be snobbish.  We have sailed Royal (Diamond) and Carnival and find Celebrity to be a more laid back and subdued atmosphere.  Celebrity generally  attracts passengers whose average age is older than  those on Royal or Carnival.  Celebrity doesn’t have the waterslides, rock walls, flow riders, etc that attract families and young adults. 
There are some dance classes on sea days as well as bingo, trivia, pool volleyball, guest speakers, cooking demos, etc.  There is usually a DJ or live music  nightly in the Sky Lounge after the 2nd show. 

9 minutes ago, jelayne said:

We haven’t found the cruisers on Celebrity to be snobbish.  We have sailed Royal (Diamond) and Carnival and find Celebrity to be a more laid back and subdued atmosphere.  Celebrity generally  attracts passengers whose average age is older than  those on Royal or Carnival.  Celebrity doesn’t have the waterslides, rock walls, flow riders, etc that attract families and young adults. 
There are some dance classes on sea days as well as bingo, trivia, pool volleyball, guest speakers, cooking demos, etc.  There is usually a DJ or live music  nightly in the Sky Lounge after the 2nd show. 

Thank you. for the info.  

Heading to South America, I don't expect much families or kids

There will definitely be less families on X because of the absence of water slides, flow riders, bumper cars etc., and a more laid back feel, but there is music and various parties that occur during the evenings and last after the second show. The silent disco parties seem to be passenger favorites in the evenings and are held several times during the cruise. The Martini Bar is usually a popular lively evening spot as well. That being said, the ships do tend to be more laid back than Royal and skew a bit older and more refined than Carnival. You'll only hear one daily announcement on X that will be about 10AM heard only in public areas of he ship from the captain and CD, and not constant reminders that activities are starting. There will be no belly flop or hairy chest contests on X.

6 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

There will definitely be less families on X because of the absence of water slides, flow riders, bumper cars etc., and a more laid back feel, but there is music and various parties that occur during the evenings and last after the second show. The silent disco parties seem to be passenger favorites in the evenings and are held several times during the cruise. The Martini Bar is usually a popular lively evening spot as well. That being said, the ships do tend to be more laid back than Royal and skew a bit older and more refined than Carnival. You'll only hear one daily announcement on X that will be about 10AM heard only in public areas of he ship from the captain and CD, and not constant reminders that activities are starting. There will be no belly flop or hairy chest contests on X.

Thank you.  :)

You make me laugh.   Hairy Chest and Belly Flop are not a thing I really care for.  :)

• Like 2

Silhouette is a much nicer ship than the Star. Not only has the Star had engine problems for YEARS it had no fwd of aft facing bars (at least as of mid 2018). Silhouette has both plus the lawn on the top deck. 
We just got off a Celebrity cruise and noted the increase in activities and was told it is because Celebrity hired a new head of entertainment and activities direct from NCL so should be more up your alley.

I find Celebrity to be a step up from Royal.  Not that there's anything wrong with Royal, it's just more refined service and more adult oriented.  There are some families, but less than Royal.  Funny story-I gave my 14 year old son a choice between virtually the same cruise, just different lines.  The one line was Carnival, and the other was celebrity.  My overly refined 14 year old son (LOL) said, "I'd like to do the Celebrity cruise.  I like their service better."  Basically, the activities, water slides, etc. on the other one were less attractive than the atmosphere of Celebrity! 

We have sailed 'around the horn' on Princess Star  and Celebrity Infinity to Antartica and both had few kids of any age on them.  Big reason, we think is the length of cruises, which were 14-15 days and date of cruises, which were late January - early February.  

Both cruises had older demographic in passengers and most were early to bed, early to rise, thus not much night life.  Also you embark/start in warm weather, move to fall like weather, then have some potential winter weather, then back to spring weather and finally disembark in warm weather again.   So, you need to think about layering.   We had snow one day at sea that lasted about 3 hours on our Antartica cruise along with 15-20 seas on 2-3 days, could not tender in Falkland Islands due to rough water.  

Both cruises were great and would do Antartica one again due to where we went, even with knowledge of missing  it due to weather.  We actually did miss Antartica on first attempt and then Captain announced weather was suppose to be better in 2 days, thus we headed back to Antartica and it was a National Geographic day there.

Not sure I would take kids, but that is me.  I am sure they would have like to see penguins.  Others can comment on what else might appeal to kids/teens.

10 hours ago, teamflames said:

Silhouette is a much nicer ship than the Star. Not only has the Star had engine problems for YEARS it had no fwd of aft facing bars (at least as of mid 2018). Silhouette has both plus the lawn on the top deck. 
We just got off a Celebrity cruise and noted the increase in activities and was told it is because Celebrity hired a new head of entertainment and activities direct from NCL so should be more up your alley.

Thank you.  That's great to know.

5 hours ago, Knighton said:

I find Celebrity to be a step up from Royal.  Not that there's anything wrong with Royal, it's just more refined service and more adult oriented.  There are some families, but less than Royal.  Funny story-I gave my 14 year old son a choice between virtually the same cruise, just different lines.  The one line was Carnival, and the other was celebrity.  My overly refined 14 year old son (LOL) said, "I'd like to do the Celebrity cruise.  I like their service better."  Basically, the activities, water slides, etc. on the other one were less attractive than the atmosphere of Celebrity! 

That's interesting to know from a 14 years old.  

5 hours ago, shipshape sam said:

We have sailed 'around the horn' on Princess Star  and Celebrity Infinity to Antartica and both had few kids of any age on them.  Big reason, we think is the length of cruises, which were 14-15 days and date of cruises, which were late January - early February.  

Both cruises had older demographic in passengers and most were early to bed, early to rise, thus not much night life.  Also you embark/start in warm weather, move to fall like weather, then have some potential winter weather, then back to spring weather and finally disembark in warm weather again.   So, you need to think about layering.   We had snow one day at sea that lasted about 3 hours on our Antartica cruise along with 15-20 seas on 2-3 days, could not tender in Falkland Islands due to rough water.  

Both cruises were great and would do Antartica one again due to where we went, even with knowledge of missing  it due to weather.  We actually did miss Antartica on first attempt and then Captain announced weather was suppose to be better in 2 days, thus we headed back to Antartica and it was a National Geographic day there.

Not sure I would take kids, but that is me.  I am sure they would have like to see penguins.  Others can comment on what else might appeal to kids/teens.

5 hours ago, shipshape sam said:

I don't have any kids and wouldn't take any for this type of trip.

We have sailed on the Silhouette, and had a great time.  Yes, passengers will skew a bit older, especially on a cruise such as this one.  Music in some of the lounges should last at least till midnight or shortly before, but not much later.  We appreciate Celebrity because it does not have the zip lines, water parks/slides, silly pool games, etc. Food quality we feel is higher than some of the other lines.

3 minutes ago, DENIE said:

We have sailed on the Silhouette, and had a great time.  Yes, passengers will skew a bit older, especially on a cruise such as this one.  Music in some of the lounges should last at least till midnight or shortly before, but not much later.  We appreciate Celebrity because it does not have the zip lines, water parks/slides, silly pool games, etc. Food quality we feel is higher than some of the other lines.

Thank you for the info.

With Celebrity, it seems the longer the cruise, the age skews older. But to be honest, the vibe of the cruise line does attract a diverse range of people, so it's not an exact science.

Dance lessons are taught by show cast members during the day. They range from partnered dances to line dances. I've rarely seen the ship completely dead at night, and there are at least some people cutting up the dance floor at the silent disco, or other late night events. As aforementioned, there is live music throughout the ship as well, so it's great to lounge and socialize to that. And pro-tip: the last bastion of nightlife before it extinguishes would be the Martini Bar.

3 minutes ago, lemonrinds said:

With Celebrity, it seems the longer the cruise, the age skews older. But to be honest, the vibe of the cruise line does attract a diverse range of people, so it's not an exact science.

Dance lessons are taught by show cast members during the day. They range from partnered dances to line dances. I've rarely seen the ship completely dead at night, and there are at least some people cutting up the dance floor at the silent disco, or other late night events. As aforementioned, there is live music throughout the ship as well, so it's great to lounge and socialize to that. And pro-tip: the last bastion of nightlife before it extinguishes would be the Martini Bar.

Thank you.  This is very good info.

I will pass this on to my travel companion as he likes dance classes.

Silhouette is a much nicer ship. Celebrity and Princess attract a similar age range, but I think Celebrity clientele are slightly more worldly. You'll find friendly people and non-friendly people. On Silhouette you'll find some late night parties, live music in Ensemble, and late D.J.at Martini Bar and Sky Lounge.

Our profile is similar to you. We are Diamond+ on Royal, Elite on Princess & Platinum on NCL.

We have recently found Celebrity to be our favorite followed by Princess.  I suppose we are getting to be the older folks in the room.

I often tell people that Celebrity is Royal for adults.  

Don't get me wrong.  We are only as old as we act. Last year I jumped out of a plane (sky-dive) and did every water slide on the Harmony of the Seas and the Abyss slide.  There is a time and place for every ship!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, royalcruz said:

Silhouette is a much nicer ship. Celebrity and Princess attract a similar age range, but I think Celebrity clientele are slightly more worldly. You'll find friendly people and non-friendly people. On Silhouette you'll find some late night parties, live music in Ensemble, and late D.J.at Martini Bar and Sky Lounge.

Thank you for the info.

37 minutes ago, Sam.Seattle said:

Our profile is similar to you. We are Diamond+ on Royal, Elite on Princess & Platinum on NCL.

We have recently found Celebrity to be our favorite followed by Princess.  I suppose we are getting to be the older folks in the room.

I often tell people that Celebrity is Royal for adults.  

Don't get me wrong.  We are only as old as we act. Last year I jumped out of a plane (sky-dive) and did every water slide on the Harmony of the Seas and the Abyss slide.  There is a time and place for every ship!  

Thank you.  I know what you mean. I'm turning 48 this year, but no body ever guess my age.  Some think there is no way I'm 40 yrs old.  They think I'm in my early 30's.  Some even wants to see my ID to proof that I'm telling them the truth.  But I'm not as brave as you are, I haven't jump out of the plane (sky dive).

• Like 1

Danny, we choose where we want to cruise first and then choose the cruise line that has the best itinerary and service for that part of the world. This year we are doing a Venice to Athens cruise and Viking Ocean fit the bill for us. Next year we are booked on Celebrity Infinity for a Spain and Portugal cruise. Celebrity was the only cruise line that has an exclusive Spain and Portugal cruise.  We tend to book the higher end cabins, Penthouse Verandah on Viking, Signature Suite on HAL, mini suites on NCL and Aqua Class on Celebrity. 

We have sailed on both NCL and RCL in the Caribbean and we had great cruises on both. The cruise you are looking at is one we want to do in a couple of years and we would probably do it with Celebrity. My sister and BIL did this cruise two years ago with Celebrity Summit and absolutely loved the cruise. For one week cruises in the Caribbean there is not a lot of itinerary difference between the many cruise lines so on ship amenities may be more important. For a long cruise in South America, for us, on ship amenities are less important than the level of service and quality of dining on board.

4 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Danny, we choose where we want to cruise first and then choose the cruise line that has the best itinerary and service for that part of the world. This year we are doing a Venice to Athens cruise and Viking Ocean fit the bill for us. Next year we are booked on Celebrity Infinity for a Spain and Portugal cruise. Celebrity was the only cruise line that has an exclusive Spain and Portugal cruise.  We tend to book the higher end cabins, Penthouse Verandah on Viking, Signature Suite on HAL, mini suites on NCL and Aqua Class on Celebrity. 

We have sailed on both NCL and RCL in the Caribbean and we had great cruises on both. The cruise you are looking at is one we want to do in a couple of years and we would probably do it with Celebrity. My sister and BIL did this cruise two years ago with Celebrity Summit and absolutely loved the cruise. For one week cruises in the Caribbean there is not a lot of itinerary difference between the many cruise lines so on ship amenities may be more important. For a long cruise in South America, for us, on ship amenities are less important than the level of service and quality of dining on board.

Thank you