NCL - What if I Arrive At Pier Early

TnTLeS

Anybody have recent and informed info on how strict NCL enforces the “Guest arriving to the pier before your select arrival time will be asked to come back at the appropriate time.” policy (that is printed on boarding docs)?  We sail from San Juan on Epic, it shows boarding starts at noon but the earliest time available for selection when I checked in is 2:30 to 3pm.  We are traveling with friends who board earlier, and we’re hoping to meet them on board early.  So, those who have an opinion on why one would or would not want to do that, but no real info on what the cruise line enforcement policy is...please post that on somebody else’s thread who didn’t ask that either.  But, if you can say from recent observation or experience whether NCL is prone to letting that slide or strictly enforces, I’m all ears!  Thanks!

There is another thread on similar subject about the Epic pushing back their boarding times due to the port being small and congested, not sure if you saw that thread or not. 

Edited by kelib

I posted on Monday a thread about the warning letter from NCL for my Epic San Juan Cruise upcoming. 

I also posted it to FB and a cruiser that just came off the ship let me know that with all the people trying to crowd in to the terminal, the fire marshal was called and almost everyone had to leave the tiny terminal and wait outside until they started boarding at 1pm. I’m sure NCL wasn’t really enforcing the times but they may do it now since it was such a problem and they are sending out letters telling you not to show up until after 1. 

• Like 2

On 1/9/2020 at 2:12 AM, kelib said:

There is another thread on similar subject about the Epic pushing back their boarding times due to the port being small and congested, not sure if you saw that thread or not. 

San Juan even with smaller ships at Pan Am pier with two ships boarding is a hot mess.

• Like 2

On 1/9/2020 at 12:24 AM, mugtech said:

Like dress code, it is a suggestion.  It will be very crowded the first two hours when the time has been moved back.  Good luck.

Usually that is correct but for the San Juan boarding they are very strict on arrival time.  The port is too small to have outgoing and incoming traffic at the same time.  

• Like 2

Oof...looking at Pan American Pier schedule, shows three ships departing on our date (1/26/19):  NCL Epic, Carnival Fascination and Disney Wonder.  Dexddd reports hot mess with 2, maybe best to abandon my early boarding plans and have another cocktail in Old San Juan before traveling to ship.  Thx again all for your info, good stuff.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TnTLeS said:

Oof...looking at Pan American Pier schedule, shows three ships departing on our date (1/26/19):  NCL Epic, Carnival Fascination and Disney Wonder.  Dexddd reports hot mess with 2, maybe best to abandon my early boarding plans and have another cocktail in Old San Juan before traveling to ship.  Thx again all for your info, good stuff.

I believe the other two ships dock in Old San Juan and not at Pan American. 

On 1/10/2020 at 8:16 AM, Liljo22 said:

Usually that is correct but for the San Juan boarding they are very strict on arrival time.  The port is too small to have outgoing and incoming traffic at the same time.  

Is that new?  When we sailed couple years back there wasn't any restrictions and you had two ships with people coming and going.  I've only watched one Webcam recently on Sunday around noon and traffic snaked way back like it was for us.  Look tomorrow and see how it looks.

Dunno, Website for Pan American pier shows all three, but now that I think...don’t think three ships will fit there.  Who knows, I abandoned my plans of early boarding and opted for an extra cocktail in Old San Juan before we attempt to board (after 2:30).

We were on the Epic 12/29 sailing out of San Juan. I had originally selected a check in time of 11:00am, but about 1.5 weeks before sailing received a email from NCL to not arrive until 1:00pm. (Our driver confirmed that the prior weeks were a mess when people arrived to port early and the people getting off were still trying to leave, there is only one road in/out which got very congested and no one could move). We left our Condado hotel at 12:15pm, as I assumed there would be some traffic. We went through security and check-in....and were on the ship by 12:40pm. Fastest embarking ever. (Also...fastest disembarking on 1/5. Left our cabin at 8:00, met parents, walked off, found luggage, and in our taxi by 8:30).