Boston to Montreal (or reverse) Seas/Motion

FreesiaE

Hello!  

We are considering taking a family cruise on HAL on one of Boston/Montreal routes.  My husband and I have cruised before from Seattle up to Alaska, and I do remember feeling a bit queasy on the way up to the inner passage.  We did a West Coast repositioning cruise as well, and I felt fine. However, this was years and years ago.  Anyhow, 2 summers ago the whole family (2 kids, husband, and self) did a Carribean cruise in the summer.  We had what I considered to be good weather--no hurricanes, etc.  There were a few times that we all really felt the motion--like the first AM on the way to Puerto Rico, and one night. No one actually got sick, but we did not feel quite as well as we would have liked.  Anyhow, I've never been to the Boston area, or anywhere on the upper eastern coast of the US or Canada.  How are the waves/motion on what would say is a "typical" day?  Would this be a poor choice for those who don't deal well with motion?  

Thanks! 

I’m not sure of your itinerary but we did the sail from New York to Quebec City.  It was very port intensive but on our one and only sea day it was extremely rough with very high waves.  Most of the ship was like a ghost town.  I loved it and was one of only two people who showed up for a spa appointment!

Weather is unpredictable so just take some meds in case-hope for smooth seas for you.  

If you go from Boston, you will be sailing with the Gulf Stream, which may be smoother than coming south, against it. 
Remember, too, that in the fall you may have a hurricane (or two) out in the Atlantic somewhere. Those can make the seas 'bumpy' for a long distance. 

This is a beautiful area, filled with history. Come prepared for less than ideal seas, be happy when they are calm, and enjoy the ports. 

Last fall on Quebec  City toFLL, including Boston and NYC. Seas were a little rough, but not terrible.  We were in remnants of a Tropical Storm, and then in a Nor’Easter going into NYC.  Didn’t bother me at all, but heard some mentioning rough seas.  Be prepared and you should be fine.

We did the Maasdam a few years past on the Montreal to Boston route in late July and it was smooth sailing. The first night you are in the St. Lawerence River so that is like glass, after that it is port intensive and as stated above you are never too far from land. Maasdam was one of the smallest ships I have sailed on, but still stable and sturdy! It's a great itinerary and I would definitely do it again and again! If possible spend a few days in Montreal and take in the beautiful scenery, food, and lovely people. 

Did the Boston to Montreal trip last July, and had no motion problems at all.  I start taking ginger pills three days before any cruise, and a pill a day during the cruise.  Seems to work for me.  Candied ginger helps, too.

I love that cruise and have taken it numerous times.  It is totally weather dependent. Mid-summer tends to be milder weather.   Be sure to study the cabin locations as different parts of the ship are more prone to feeling the motion.