What is being done about coronavirus.....

Travelcat2

Sharle, we are on the March 1st sailing from Hong Kong to Bangkok and haven't heard a word from Regent as yet.  We have three days in Hong Kong before we embark the ship on March 1st.  Wonder if we will be able to do this.  If the Feb 12 sailing are being offered 25% off the paid cruise price plus 25% Future Cruise Credit, then why isn't the March 1st sailing being offered the same?  I appreciate that it must be a nightmare for Regent, but they must have contingency plans they can use.  We're awaiting, with bated breath to hear from Regent as to what plans they have for us.  

Sharle, we are on the March 1st sailing from Hong Kong to Bangkok and haven't heard a word from Regent as yet.  We have three days in Hong Kong before we embark the ship on March 1st.  Wonder if we will be able to do this.  If the Feb 12 passengers are being offered 25% off the paid cruise price plus 25% Future Cruise Credit, then why aren't the March 1st passengers being offered the same?  I appreciate that it must be a nightmare for Regent, but they must have contingency plans they can use.  We're awaiting, with bated breath to hear from Regent as to what plans they have for us.  

Sharle, we are on the March 1st sailing from Hong Kong to Bangkok and haven't heard a word from Regent as yet.  We have three days in Hong Kong before we embark the ship on March 1st.  Wonder if we will be able to do this.  If the Feb 12 sailing are being offered 25% off the paid cruise price plus 25% Future Cruise Credit, then why isn't the March 1st sailing being offered the same?  I appreciate that it must be a nightmare for Regent, but they must have contingency plans they can use.  We're awaiting, with bated breath to hear from Regent as to what plans they have for us.  

2 minutes ago, motone said:

You are not going to HK...already been removed. You will get a new itinerary.

Pcarded, we are due to fly in from Heathrow to Hong Kong - does this mean we will be rerouted somewhere else?  I wonder what other ports will take us.  We might be sailing round and round the South China Seas for a whole month!!!

They havent decided on a port to replace HK yet but they are definitely replacing it. Japan is out as is Manila and Taiwan. I wonder if Singapore will remain viable....or Thailand even. I an on the 12th and my personal guess is we go New Zealand 

34 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

They havent decided on a port to replace HK yet but they are definitely replacing it. Japan is out as is Manila and Taiwan. I wonder if Singapore will remain viable....or Thailand even. I an on the 12th and my personal guess is we go New Zealand 

What have you learned from Regent or the news when you say “Japan is out”? 

We are on the March 1st sailing. We learned last night that a Regent is only offering us a 25% “coupon” on a future voyage with no other credit or option to cancel on this sailing. The same reimbursement for any overages in changing flights applies, but our situation is complicated and doubtful they’ll really cover our ticket expense. Currently we cannot even pick new flights because we have no idea where embarkation is. 

if Japan “is out”, then our entire itinerary is gone. Seems to me that should absolutely justify a full refund or at the very least, a full credit for a future voyage. 

• Like 1

That is a very interesting article Wendy - thanks for the link.  I read in one of our local papers here in Switzerland that the Corona Virus is heavy and as a result not easily airborne.  Rather it spreads by hand contact on surfaces.  The advice given in the article to avoid skin contact with others and to keep washing hands and/or use hand sterilizers is sound I think.   What I did not know was that the air on an plane goes through filters like in an operating room.  That in and of itself is fascinating.   I also wonder if people in the US routinely sneeze into their elbows?  Our children are taught to do that here from a very young age.  

31 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

I also wonder if people in the US routinely sneeze into their elbows?

I wish they all did. Our paper tissues are rather thin compared to the sturdy Tempo tissues. Anyway, I am glad I am not travelling in East Asia right now with all the uncertainties of where we would be boarding or disembarking. I am following a thread on the Ms Westerdam which had 800 passengers board in Hong Kong. That choice of port was the wrong corporate decision under the circumstances. Although the ship has no cases of corona virus, it still has to find a port willing to take them. They all refuse 'in case there is corona virus on the ship'. 

It is heartbreaking for people who have planned cruises for many years and now have to deal with this - but it is worse for those who HAVE the virus.   And I think it will get even worse in terms of spread before it starts to get better.  I don't remember how long the SARS epidemic lasted but I think it was maybe 6 months ??

Just wonder how insurance will cover any of the expenses,,,may have to read policy very closely. 

We need to make final payment for Baltic cruise in March,,not to same area obviously. But sort of concerned if this virus spreads.Hate to be in the position these cruisers are facing.Will play it by ear and try to get GOOD ins.policy ahead of time,I guess. 

My DH is leaning toward cancelling,,,not me. He says he could NOT manage being couped in cabin for 2 wks. Or ,of course ,getting the disease.

Prefer to wait and see. Imagine many are in this predicament,on many cruiselines.

THe offer of 25% above seems poor,considering expenses. Know the contracts try to lesson what cruiseline needs to pay back,,,you take you chances and hope for the best.

Edited by alexandra cruiser

21 minutes ago, alexandra cruiser said:

Just wonder how insurance will cover any of the expenses,,,may have to read policy very closely. 

We need to make final payment for Baltic cruise in March,,not to same area obviously. But sort of concerned if this virus spreads.Hate to be in the position these cruisers are facing.Will play it by ear and try to get GOOD ins.policy ahead of time,I guess. 

This is a very complicated situation in regard to insurance.  Do you not yet have insurance for the upcoming cruise?  I received this information from TripInsuranceStore.com-

"The 2019-nCoV outbreak is now a known event. This means that any CSA, Generali, Travelex, Travel Insured, TravelSafe and TripAssure plans would have had to been purchased prior to Jan 21, 2020 for the policy to cover you. On Feb 5, 2020 MedjetAssist and MedjetHorizon services are suspended in the following countries: China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Macau."

In regard to cancelling your cruise because you are afraid to travel-

" If you are going anywhere where you are fearful of the Coronavirus, concerned about getting the 2019-nCoV or simply want to cancel because of the US State Dept China Travel Advisory or the CDC’s warning, here’s how it works:

If you have a Trip Cancellation policy that includes the Cancel For Any Reason coverage, you may cancel your trip. Make sure you cancel all your travel arrangements at least 48 hours before your departure date.

If you do not have the Cancel For Any Reason coverage, you will not be covered. This is because fear, worry, government regulations or prohibitions are excluded."

As to charges for changing flights due to changing itineraries-

" If you have airfare you bought on your own, many, but not all, plans will reimburse you the a benefit will be paid for the reissue fee charged by the airline for the tickets. You must have covered the entire cost of Your Trip including the airfare cost."

Here is a link to the entire article  https://tripinsurancestore.com/travel-insurance-epidemic-coverage/

Bob

• Like 2

The comments in this article about the measures agreed to by the Cruise Lines International Association specifically mention that anyone transiting through Hong Kong in the last 14 days should be denied boarding. But Regent said in their email yesterday about the May 12 Voyager sailing said that they WOULD allow Hong Kong transit passengers. Makes me wonder if this exception will give rise to ports not allowing the Voyager to dock?

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5016/

Thank you,,Bob. Appreciate the link.

No, did not buy cancel for any reason, ususally buy it when I make final payment.Know I must buy that type when I reserve trip.Nice,but expensive. And HAPPILY,,have never had to use ins. YET.

Just glad not going to that area,,,would definitley not make final payment,,and get deposit back.

Would have to cancel my own air,since always get my own.

What a mess for many people.

3 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Good article but keep in mind that doctors have posted on another site and confirm that Coronavirus is also airborne.  So,  since people can cough or sneeze in your face (or behind you and create a cloud of germs that could attach to your hair, etc., a mask is is a good idea.  Even if they do not work (I believe that they do if you follow the instructions for wearing a mask), wearing one prevents you from touching your nose or face.  3M also makes a small pair of glasses that can protect your eyes.

In terms of airplanes, we have been disinfecting the food trays and armrests for years.  They are not cleaned between flights.  

Depending upon where we are flying to/from, we will wear the mask if it seems appropriate.  People, like us, that travel in the winter are always surrounded with the flu, colds, and worse.  When we do not take precautions, we end up sick.  While your experiences may be different, it is not fun being sick on vacation so take precautions.

10 hours ago, Pcardad said:

To be honest I am surprised they covered 50%....very generous considering they didnt have to cover anything. I am generally pessimistic but was impressed by their solution. 

Agree 100%.  It is typical “Regent” - per their contract, they do not have to do anything but go above and beyond for their guests.

4 hours ago, boblerm said:

This is a very complicated situation in regard to insurance.  Do you not yet have insurance for the upcoming cruise?  I received this information from TripInsuranceStore.com-

"The 2019-nCoV outbreak is now a known event. This means that any CSA, Generali, Travelex, Travel Insured, TravelSafe and TripAssure plans would have had to been purchased prior to Jan 21, 2020 for the policy to cover you. On Feb 5, 2020 MedjetAssist and MedjetHorizon services are suspended in the following countries: China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Macau."

In regard to cancelling your cruise because you are afraid to travel-

" If you are going anywhere where you are fearful of the Coronavirus, concerned about getting the 2019-nCoV or simply want to cancel because of the US State Dept China Travel Advisory or the CDC’s warning, here’s how it works:

If you have a Trip Cancellation policy that includes the Cancel For Any Reason coverage, you may cancel your trip. Make sure you cancel all your travel arrangements at least 48 hours before your departure date.

If you do not have the Cancel For Any Reason coverage, you will not be covered. This is because fear, worry, government regulations or prohibitions are excluded."

As to charges for changing flights due to changing itineraries-

" If you have airfare you bought on your own, many, but not all, plans will reimburse you the a benefit will be paid for the reissue fee charged by the airline for the tickets. You must have covered the entire cost of Your Trip including the airfare cost."

Here is a link to the entire article  https://tripinsurancestore.com/travel-insurance-epidemic-coverage/

Bob

Thank you for that great explanation.  I'm sure that it will help many people.  

Sadly,  I just read that the number of Coronavirus cases on the Princess ship quarantined in Japan has tripled (from 20 to over 60 cases).  

I just saw that on the nightly new here too.  Sadly it more than likely means that quarantining a ship means you the infect everyone one board with the virus.  So maybe that wasn't a great thing to do.

"Our" cruise is going nowhere near Asia.  But who knows if the virus will, in a month, spread beyond Asia?   It may well.

Not a whole lot we can do about that.  But we can - and probably should - look at contingency plans.  IF the cruise is cancelled and IF we are already in the US - then what ?  In our case the cruise and the air are two separate transactions.   I shall start scratching my head!  Right now - we will be in San Diego on 14 March and will board at noon.  That is the current plan.

9 hours ago, Pcardad said:

They havent decided on a port to replace HK yet but they are definitely replacing it.

I suspect that Regent Operations is having some difficulty identifying new itineraries for SS Voyager's forthcoming cruises, as are other cruiselines in the region. 

My understanding is that Crystal Symphony has altered its turnround port on the present cruise three times due to ports becoming closed (Originally Hong Kong, changed to Taiwan, changed to Manila, now heading for Singapore)

Also Silver Spirit has similar challenges (Originally Hong Kong, changed to Manila, changed to Saigon, now heading for Bangkok)

3 hours ago, mrstanley said:

Crystal Cruise line is giving 100 percent towards canceling and going on another Crystal cruise. 

Crystal's offer is 50% FCC for guests continuing to join their Asian cruises in the next couple of months or, for those opting to cancel, 100% FCC.

Silversea is giving guests now on Spirit a full refund plus 25%FCC. 

Edited by flossie009
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

I just saw that on the nightly new here too.  Sadly it more than likely means that quarantining a ship means you the infect everyone one board with the virus.  So maybe that wasn't a great thing to do.

"Our" cruise is going nowhere near Asia.  But who knows if the virus will, in a month, spread beyond Asia?   It may well.

Not a whole lot we can do about that.  But we can - and probably should - look at contingency plans.  IF the cruise is cancelled and IF we are already in the US - then what ?  In our case the cruise and the air are two separate transactions.   I shall start scratching my head!  Right now - we will be in San Diego on 14 March and will board at noon.  That is the current plan.

Gerry, my understanding is that for at least those that are quarantined aboard the Diamond Princess, they are actually confined to their staterooms (!), so  infecting fellow passengers is not an issue.  It is hard to imagine what it is like to be confined under these circumstances, especially for those unlucky souls in inside cabins.  There is a lovely gentleman who is posting from that ship on Facebook, I do not believe that Cruise Critic guidelines allow posting links to Facebook (not sure about that), but his name is David Abel, he posts video clips of his and his wife's situation once or twice a day.

In regard to the virus affecting our cruise or any other cruise, the issue is not so much how many cases may be diagnosed in any given country as it is people carrying the virus not diagnosed falling ill while on the ship. Impossible to predict, but the odds are far lower on a smallish ship than, say, the RCCL Oasis.

If you are in the US already and the cruise is cancelled, Regent may or may not refund costs of changing your travel arrangements to return home.  If not, it will depend on whether or not you have your air arrangements covered under your insurance.

As has already been said, looked at from the cruise lines perspective a single case of virus or even the threat of one ( since Regent are allowing transit passengers through HK airport against the cruise industries guidelines) can easily mean port denial and quarantine for what may become an extended period, at present at least two weeks.

in total this affects the current cruise ( possibly Bali,) the next cruise and even the one after that if deep clean and crew issues are taken into account. Chances of all this are increasing daily, Westerdam, Singapore code orange etc

From a business perspective the only logical way forward is to cancel or incur even greater costs.

The word of mouth criticism that is already happening can only increase if Regent keep taking the wrong decisions.

We are boarding the Splendor in Miami. Packing extra prescription drugs just in case something should delay our

debarkation in San Diego. Hopefully no sick people board. You never know where people have been... including the

crew unless passports are checked prior to boarding the ship.