A couple of questions about Explorer Penthouse Suites

From looking at the virtual tour, there doesn’t seem to be a mirror at the small desk next to the bed but I feel like I’ve seen a light up make up mirror in pictures or maybe video, that I’ve seen of this suite. Can anyone tell me if there is a mirror, because I will want to bring my own if there’s not. 

Also the amenities list an illy® Espresso Maker.  Does this have pods, where one can make a regular cup of coffee, and perhaps even tea?  We have a Keurig, and I’m not familiar with the illy brand. 

I didn't care for the illy coffee unit last time we were in Concierge., both operation and flavor. I think I used it once. It isn't as intuitive to use as a Keurig, but of course you can figure it out or ask your butler/steward.I far preferred the coffee bar or even the superauto machines that were available in a couple of spots.

YMMV of course!

e: Can't speak about the mirror, haven't been on Explorer yet but I suspect the coffee machine is the same.

Edited by slidebite

2 hours ago, kjbacon said:

There’s also two wall mirrors and a shaving mirror in the bathroom.

Thanks all for the information.  Now, since ships and most hotels have not installed the newer waterproof electrical switches in the bathrooms, in order to use hair blowers I assume there would be standard switches near the room mirrors, especially the vanity mirror.  BTW, I recently stayed at a 5* hotel in London with no vanity mirror nor usable switch... Ah, men architects!

Edited by Camillus112

49 minutes ago, Camillus112 said:

Thanks all for the information.  Now, since ships and most hotels have not installed the newer waterproof electrical switches in the bathrooms, in order to use hair blowers I assume there would be standard switches near the room mirrors, especially the vanity mirror.  BTW, I recently stayed at a 5* hotel in London with no vanity mirror nor usable switch... Ah, men architects!

I am assuming there is an included blow dryer in the suite but would like to hear about the quality. 

switch near vanity mirror in room. hair dryer varies. Ive found them usually strong enough but occasionally weaker. I don't think they have 1 standard that they buy. Whatever is available. Have even seen both european and US plugs. If it is too weak for your use you can request a different one

2 hours ago, Camillus112 said:

In the UK, it is against building regulations to place a conventional electrical power socket within 3 metres of a water source, which effectively means you'll never be able to use a hairdryer in a British bathroom (regardless of the gender of the architect or the class of the hotel).

39 minutes ago, Gilly said:

In the UK, it is against building regulations to place a conventional electrical power socket within 3 metres of a water source, which effectively means you'll never be able to use a hairdryer in a British bathroom (regardless of the gender of the architect or the class of the hotel).

Yes, I understand.  However, there are now special switches that have been manufactured to code.  One of these is installed in my bathroom.  May main concern was having no vanity in the room, plus having no British, European, or American switch near the only mirror (in the hallway) which I would have to use for my hair blower.  

In our Explorer PH suite (1209) there were good, well lit mirrors for makeup in the bathroom and, I note, a specially marked socket for the hairdryer.  Sadly, I don't seem to have photographed the mirror associated with it, but as I dry my hair in a mirror (and would struggle without one) I assume there was one conveniently placed nearby.

The hairdryers which are now on Regent are powerful enough for me to not even consider bringing my own, I'm pleased to say.

(And sadly, the special switches are still beyond UK specs, so it will be quite some time before that one changes)

DSC00235.jpg

DSC00238.jpg

I have been on Explorer twice in F2 Suite.

I was able to sit at the desk and apply makeup and also dry my hair. Large mirror above the desk. The electric makeup mirror provided by Regent is ok.

I bring my own as it is brighter. There are plugs for a 210 or 110 volt hairdryers. 

You can’t use hair dryers in the bathroom.

The lighting in the bathroom , closet and bedroom is really good! Full length mirror in the closet and another in entrance.