Seabourn and the current issues surrounding the Corona Virus

SLSD

9 minutes ago, Mauzac said:

Yes, it's definitely been cancelled, I've been on their Roll Call and someone has posted the email they received.  It embarks on Sunday and has only just been cancelled.  

If the ship is not going to Manaus, I presume we're not too.... we are in limbo at the moment and waiting for the TA and in fact SB to ring back...

If so, it isn't so urgent.  But SB told our TA who told us... that if we cancel by close of play today there will be no refund penalties... but I'm hoping the new 48 hour cancellation policy applies to our 2 b2bs.  If so, it isn't so urgent.

Thanks for that Mauzac.

I'm sorry if your cruise gets cancelled but I would think it's better to find out asap rather than a couple of days before? Not sure how you feel about it, I imagine it's not unexpected of course, but disappointing. 

I wonder if the ship will just head back to Miami now?

This is just a horrible situation for the cruise ines and especially the crew. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Isklaar said:

Has the US announced how the testing will be done at the airports? Will it just be temperature taking or an actual infection test?

I haven't seen any explanation.  As for testing with an actual infection test ---no, that will not be done as there are not even enough tests to test those who think they may be ill.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Isklaar said:

Thanks for that Mauzac.

I'm sorry if your cruise gets cancelled but I would think it's better to find out asap rather than a couple of days before? Not sure how you feel about it, I imagine it's not unexpected of course, but disappointing. 

I wonder if the ship will just head back to Miami now?

This is just a horrible situation for the cruise ines and especially the crew. 

I feel so sorry for the crew.  We have uncertainty about our cruises, they have uncertainty probably about their pay, their careers etc.  

I will be totally gutted if it all gets cancelled, this has been over a year of looking forward to this, but this is a world problem, not a SB problem, and we have to take it on the chin and pour more gin!  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, HappyFeet13 said:
  • I'm in the "high risk" group
  • My wife and I are 75
  • We have underlying health conditions.

• If I cancel, I lose 100%.

Not to be overly dramatic, but which would you rather risk losing: 100% of your cruise fare or your (or your wife's) life? The facts you laid out seem pretty clear -- you are in a group that should currently avoid travel that isn't absolutely, urgently necessary.

Fortunately, the revised Seabourn policy now gives you more time and removes the risk of losing your cruise fare, and hopefully by late April things will have cleared significantly. But if things haven't changed much in a month, stay home.

14 hours ago, teamflames said:

The cynical side of me says this is an attempt to get people to take a fcc before the cruise is cancelled and a refund is mandatory. 
We have not taken any fcc early cancellation offers on any of our upcoming cruises, our Seabourn was cancelled with refund and 25% fcc we expect the same will happen with the other 2

I think this is exactly what is going on.  With Seabourn's new policy your last chance to cancel is 30 days prior to sailing.  They have not been canceling outside that 30 day window which ultimately forces you to take the FCC.

3 hours ago, Mauzac said:

Surely you won't lose 100% given SB's new cancellation policy?  

Here it is....

Now, you can book your cruise with confidence: cancel for any reason and receive a Future Cruise Credit in the amount of your cancellation fees. Some restrictions apply.

Bookings must meet the eligibility criteria below:
Cruise sailing prior to July 31st, 2020.
• Booking is cancelled no less than 48 hours prior to sailing
If your booking meets the eligibility criteria, your cancellation will be processed automatically and you will receive a confirmation with your Future Cruise Credit details in approximately two weeks

OK you won't get your money back but you will get a future cruise credit.  It covers Seabourn air and excursions also.  And my TA has confirmed that it covers existing cruises as well as newly booked ones.  

Here is what someone else posted regarding Seabourn's new cancelation policy:

"Here are some issues with the future cruise credit being offered by Seabourn and why it could eventually cost you a lot of money if you end up cancelling as your cruise date became closer.

1.  In order to use the future cruise credit, you have to re-book within 90 days of cancellation even though the future cruise may be up to a year and a half away.  You can't use the FCC for your deposit, so you will have the deposit as well as full amount of FCC, perhaps 100% of the total cost, tied up for such period.  Given tight 90 -day window for re-booking, you won't be able to wait for one of Seabourn's periodic super-sales before booking.  This feature alone could cost thousands.

2.  Presumably, once you book, you will have no right to cancel or to re-price your cruise based on future Seabourn discounts which are typically offered from time to time during the period before 120 days prior to the cruise.  Again, a significant cost negative.

3.  Normal travel insurance at standard prices is unlikely to be available for something you can't cancel at any time for a period of up to a year and a half without the complete loss of the deposit and the FCC, which could be 100% of the cruise cost.  Also, would insurance even cover the loss of the FCC if you had to cancel because of sickness, death, etc.

4.  In the terms and conditions for the FCC stated by Seabourn, you can't combine the FCC "with any other  offers".  This could mean you might not be able to book at a sales price even if there was a Seabourn sale and other benefits being offered at the time you booked within 90 days of the cancellation.  No suite upgrade, no on-board credit, no additional 5% discount for Seabourn club membership, no free internet minutes, no air credit, and maybe no discounted price then being offered if there is an expiration date for such price in the sale.  This is a real potential cost negative.

5.  In the terms and conditions, Seabourn reserves the right to modify or withdraw the policy at any time without notice for any reason.  Significant risk that for financial reasons, Seabourn could cancel the policy, say in April, stating that the virus was not so bad, which means you could have a 75% cash penalty (with no right to an FCC for such amount) if you cancelled thereafter because you felt differently than Seabourn about the virus risk.

6.  Finally, in the terms and conditions, Seabourn states that the FCC may be subject to "additional terms and conditions as provided by Seabourn" without any clarification of what they could be. 

If Seabourn wants customers to stick with it during this uncertain period, the policy needs to be more customer friendly."

×××××××××÷××××

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HappyFeet13 said:

or as the younger folks here say, "Chill out". 

It's hard to chill out when my life is on the line due to someone's incompetence.

I am in the same group as you - over 70 with underlying medical conditions. When I say that my life is on the line I don't mean by cruising - I mean by just going outside.

I want to understand how S. Korea can test 10K people every day and we just reached 10K for the entire country. Vietnam is doing better in testing than we are and you say I should just chill out

2 hours ago, Cru Doll said:

Point well taken.

Presumably you are under 40 and in good health with no worries about COVID-19.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, DWF said:

Here is what someone else posted regarding Seabourn's new cancelation policy:

"Here are some issues with the future cruise credit being offered by Seabourn and why it could eventually cost you a lot of money if you end up cancelling as your cruise date became closer.

1.  In order to use the future cruise credit, you have to re-book within 90 days of cancellation even though the future cruise may be up to a year and a half away.  You can't use the FCC for your deposit, so you will have the deposit as well as full amount of FCC, perhaps 100% of the total cost, tied up for such period.  Given tight 90 -day window for re-booking, you won't be able to wait for one of Seabourn's periodic super-sales before booking.  This feature alone could cost thousands.

2.  Presumably, once you book, you will have no right to cancel or to re-price your cruise based on future Seabourn discounts which are typically offered from time to time during the period before 120 days prior to the cruise.  Again, a significant cost negative.

3.  Normal travel insurance at standard prices is unlikely to be available for something you can't cancel at any time for a period of up to a year and a half without the complete loss of the deposit and the FCC, which could be 100% of the cruise cost.  Also, would insurance even cover the loss of the FCC if you had to cancel because of sickness, death, etc.

4.  In the terms and conditions for the FCC stated by Seabourn, you can't combine the FCC "with any other  offers".  This could mean you might not be able to book at a sales price even if there was a Seabourn sale and other benefits being offered at the time you booked within 90 days of the cancellation.  No suite upgrade, no on-board credit, no additional 5% discount for Seabourn club membership, no free internet minutes, no air credit, and maybe no discounted price then being offered if there is an expiration date for such price in the sale.  This is a real potential cost negative.

5.  In the terms and conditions, Seabourn reserves the right to modify or withdraw the policy at any time without notice for any reason.  Significant risk that for financial reasons, Seabourn could cancel the policy, say in April, stating that the virus was not so bad, which means you could have a 75% cash penalty (with no right to an FCC for such amount) if you cancelled thereafter because you felt differently than Seabourn about the virus risk.

6.  Finally, in the terms and conditions, Seabourn states that the FCC may be subject to "additional terms and conditions as provided by Seabourn" without any clarification of what they could be. 

If Seabourn wants customers to stick with it during this uncertain period, the policy needs to be more customer friendly."

×××××××××÷××××

The trouble is... SB's cancellation policy means with our first cruise we would pay a penalty of 75% of the full fare.  With the second cruise following on, the same.That would cost us a lot of money.

So we have no choice but to go with the FCC and hope for the best.  

The Government of Canada just recommended this morning to avoid all non-essential travel and banned all cruise ships over 500 people (includes passengers and crew until July). The Health Minister just said all travel outside of Canada is considered high risk.  The Prime Minister’s wife tested positive for Covid after attending an event in London and the PM and family are now in self isolation for 14 days.   We had an international land trip booked to leave at 9am tomorrow, which I just cancelled.  We were afraid of not being able to return home, even if we were healthy.  Luckily the airline gave a refund even though we were less than 24 hours prior to departure! Next I need to cancel out hotel. Fun times! Stay safe everyone!

Please allow me to re-post what I wrote on another topic. I perhaps should have written it here in the first place since this seems to be the 'core' COVID19 thread.

We are fortunate that, in Canada, "Cancel for any reason" travel insurance is available.  It's expensive but as we are learning, a great option for people with health concerns that may not be serious enough to justify a doctor's certification. 

In my professional life I have handled crisis situations involving impact on thousands of customers and I just want to give a thought for all the management and employees of Seabourn at this time. I can assure you that none of them get out of bed in the morning and decide to have a fun day and make their customers lives hell by not responding to the thousands of telephone calls and emails they are receiving. I expect that from Mr. Meadows down everyone is focused on trying to do the best for their customers in order that the business can remain viable and that they still have a job. The share price of the Carnival group has been slashed dramatically as we all know. The Board of Directors and the management have a fiduciary responsibility to act in the best interests of the company. If they don't do so then the company will go bankrupt and there will be no refunds or future cruise credit.

The logistics involved with this crisis must be unbelievable. Changes in itineraries mean not just dock facilities but also supply lines, crew changes, excursions, etc. etc. Cancellations and changes mean difficult communications with customers either directly or through travel agents. Questions will be asked and answers demanded when there are no clear answers or solutions since the global situation is so volatile. An answer given 24 hours ago may be no longer viable given, for example, the change in United States policy vis-à-vis the Schengen zone or the just announced Canadian ban on cruise ships with more than 500 persons on board. When we personally communicate with Seabourn staff [which we are personally trying not to do since we are taking away from time better spent elsewhere] either directly or through our travel agent I try to remain calm, polite, sympathetic to their position and having received the latest information they have available, make my own decisions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Seabourn has made additional changes to the recently revised cancelation policy.  You can now cancel 48 hours before sailing and you no longer have to book within 90 days.  The new policy provides for booking up until December 31, 2020.  The trip still must be taken by December 2021.  This is better but does not address the following concerns that someone else posted a few days ago.  Seabourn needs to address these very serious financial concerns for their customers should they have to cancel for a viral empidemic.

"Here are some issues with the future cruise credit being offered by Seabourn and why it could eventually cost you a lot of money if you end up cancelling as your cruise date became closer.

4.  In the terms and conditions for the FCC stated by Seabourn, you can't combine the FCC "with any other  offers".  This could mean you might not be able to book at a sales price even if there was a Seabourn sale and other benefits being offered at the time you booked within 90 days of the cancellation.  No suite upgrade, no on-board credit, no additional 5% discount for Seabourn club membership, no free internet minutes, no air credit, and maybe no discounted price then being offered if there is an expiration date for such price in the sale.  This is a real potential cost negative.

5.  In the terms and conditions, Seabourn reserves the right to modify or withdraw the policy at any time without notice for any reason.  Significant risk that for financial reasons, Seabourn could cancel the policy, say in April, stating that the virus was not so bad, which means you could have a 75% cash penalty (with no right to an FCC for such amount) if you cancelled thereafter because you felt differently than Seabourn about the virus risk.

The Sojourn's sailings on 3/22, 4/3, and 4/6 are all now blocked from booking. We booked the Sojourn 3/22 sailing after having our 3/14 sailing on the Ovation cancelled. I'm guessing with all three of these sailings, that a cancellation notice is likely for our 3/22 sailing on the Sojourn. I did check their other ships which were still open to booking, so I think this is a Sojourn only issue at this point.

The Sojourn's sailings on 3/22, 4/3, and 4/6 are all now blocked from booking. We booked the Sojourn 3/22 sailing after having our 3/14 sailing on the Ovation cancelled. I'm guessing with all three of these sailings, that a cancellation notice is likely for our 3/22 sailing on the Sojourn. I did check their other ships which were still open to booking, so I think this is a Sojourn only issue at this point.     where did you see this?

Thanks for the info re Seabourn's policies.  I am booked for 4-29 sailing from Auckland ,and Seabourn hasn't sent me any notification of any kind re cancellation policies.  I booked via AmEx, and Seabourn won't talk to me...I have to go through AmEx.  AmEx says they have been told nothing. Today I got a FedEx from Seabourn with bag tags, etc. for my trip.  What a zoo!  The latest I had been told by Seabourn was that if I cancelled after 1-1-20, I would forfeit the entire fare. Thanks to you, I now know I can cancel w/o losing the $25,000 I paid for this trip, (not counting airfare) and  re-book later this year. I appreciate the info...thanks. 

Sorry I offended with earlier comment to "chill out".  I meant it to apply to political criticism, not to the issue of the virus itself. Just trying to say that the problem we are dealing with should not become a political argument between pro-Trump and anti-Trump folks. We Americans are already divided enough, we don't more storm and strife between us, especially among shipmates🙂 See you at sailaway...on some happy day in the future.

27 minutes ago, wingit said:

where did you see this?

In their travel agent booking portal it all shows wait-listed. Yesterday there were 70+ cabins available on the 3/22 sailing. If you try to book via their normal website it also gives an error... I gave them a call and they verified that all three sailings until 4/13 showed wait-listed. My gut check is 95% sure that we're going to get a cancellation notice. I'm just hoping it's sooner than later as we're still booked to fly out on Tuesday. 

• Like 1

Further clarification to my last post. I now believe that Seabourn is about to cancel all sailings until 4/13 like most other cruise lines. This is my personal opinion and is not a fact at this point, but based upon sailings now being removed from their booking engine - I believe they are in the process of setting up for this announcement (like many other cruise brands so far). 

If you try booking any sailing from their website in this next 30 day window you get an error.

image.png.f3dbf173b7e1adff15ba1950f432a95e.png

Edited by AtTheJob
added more info

In their travel agent booking portal it all shows wait-listed. Yesterday there were 70+ cabins available on the 3/22 sailing. If you try to book via their normal website it also gives an error... I gave them a call and they verified that all three sailings until 4/13 showed wait-listed. My gut check is 95% sure that we're going to get a cancellation notice. I'm just hoping it's sooner than later as we're still booked to fly out on Tuesday    thanks so much for the quick reply. I think you are correct, it looks like they are getting ready for 30 shutdown. (like all other cruise lines), we are booked perth to sfo, not looking good. we were also planning on leaving tues.

2 hours ago, germanshep said:

Do you all think Seabourn will suspend all cruises for 60 days like Princess?

This was posted on Oceania boards:

Here it is:

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

·

42m

At my request, effective midnight tonight, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, and MSC have all agreed to suspend outbound cruises for thirty days. It is a great and important industry – it will be kept that way!

That would include Seabourn.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, wingit said:

we were also planning on leaving tues.

I guess we'll have to wait until a future date to take a cruise... I was looking forward to our 42 night trip on the Ovation - Then quickly substituted with the 38 night on the Sojourn. Looks like it will be a staycation instead... Guess I should have been trying to stock up on groceries and toilet paper like the rest of the world. Time to cancel our flights...

Edited by AtTheJob

7 hours ago, Paulchili said:

It's hard to chill out when my life is on the line due to someone's incompetence.

I am in the same group as you - over 70 with underlying medical conditions. When I say that my life is on the line I don't mean by cruising - I mean by just going outside.

I want to understand how S. Korea can test 10K people every day and we just reached 10K for the entire country. Vietnam is doing better in testing than we are and you say I should just chill out

Presumably you are under 40 and in good health with no worries about COVID-19.

My husband and I are in our early 70’s.  My husband has an underlying medical condition.  

My comment addressed the political nature of the thread.  In my opinion, we should leave politics out of this discussion.  There are many alternate avenues for political discourse.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

This was posted on Oceania boards:

Here it is:

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

·

42m

At my request, effective midnight tonight, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, and MSC have all agreed to suspend outbound cruises for thirty days. It is a great and important industry – it will be kept that way!

That would include Seabourn.

This article implies it only applies to ship leaving US ports? (Not my usual news source, just first link I found) https://www.foxnews.com/us/royal-caribbean-and-norwegian-suspend-cruises-amid-coronavirus

7 minutes ago, Cru Doll said:

My husband and I are in our early 70’s.  My husband has an underlying medical condition.  

My comment addressed the political nature of the thread.  In my opinion, we should leave politics out of this discussion.  There are many alternate avenues for political discourse.  

The primary role of government is to protect citizens.

The decisions made by politicians during this crisis are affecting our travel, cruises especially.

Given that relevance, I don't believe that politics can be left out of this discussion.

• Like 5