Jump to content

Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"


Recommended Posts

Good news is that inside room people might be let off.

 

Kato also said that those who have pre-existing conditions, the elderly and those who are staying in windowless rooms will be allowed to disembark the cruise ship as early as Friday if they test negative for the coronavirus, but will need to stay at lodgings provided by the government for the time being.

 

"Staying at lodgings provided by the government" is a nice way of putting it.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fido Chuckwagon said:

Yeah, so, if the GOVERNMENT OF JAPAN calls the largest school district and says WE HAVE A PUBLIC HEALTH EMERGENCY WHERE PEOPLE CAN DIE CAN YOU HELP US?  Then yes, they’re getting their meals.  I mean seriously, this isn’t that hard.  The dining services at any university could also have done this.  Like, any large catering company would love the free press that came along with doing something like this.  

 

You are making assumptions that school meal services and / or university meal services operate the same as in the USA.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

Good news is that inside room people might be let off.

 

Kato also said that those who have pre-existing conditions, the elderly and those who are staying in windowless rooms will be allowed to disembark the cruise ship as early as Friday if they test negative for the coronavirus, but will need to stay at lodgings provided by the government for the time being.

 

"Staying at lodgings provided by the government" is a nice way of putting it.   

 

 Hopefully at those lodgings there will be more separation between passengers so there are fewer new cases.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ed01106 said:

Airline food prepared by someone who is healthy vs. cruise line food prepare by someone who might have the virus. Easy choice,

Periodically there are outbreaks of sickness due to airline food being contaminated. That is one of the reasons that pilots and co-pilots are supposed to eat completely different meal choices.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

There is bad news and there is good news. The bad news - 44 new infections including one crew member.

The good news - Some passengers, the elderly and those in inside cabins will be allowed to disembark on Friday if they test negative to the virus. They will stay in a government facilitiy to complete their quarantine.

I wonder if David Abel will get off....they are nervous about getting tested in case one of them is positive and they have to split up. Boy I would go for it...they are over 70...so maybe?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

 

 

iwas relying on this post: Princess has cancelled the Feb 13 and Feb 23rd Sapphire Princess sailings out of Singapore.  Booked passengers woke up to find notices from Princess today on the cancellations

 

Yes, we were supposed to be going on Sapphire today and were told yesterday 4pm that it was cancelled. Now just abandoned by Princess to sort ourselves out - really poor! My husband is an elite member and all we got was a generic cancellation email, no follow up and no responses on any social media platforms.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

I wonder if David Abel will get off....they are nervous about getting tested in case one of them is positive and they have to split up. Boy I would go for it...they are over 70...so maybe?

I wonder what will be officially “elderly” for this. I’m guessing 75. @yardley_wong on Twitter appears to be in an inside cabin (or maybe 2 adjoining) with her husband, 6 year old and another son. Her parents are in a different cabin and she mentioned today that her dad was tested because of a mandate to test people over 75.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

as I said before sit there long enough every last passenger will have this virus. are people still thinking it is not being passed along from passenger to passenger or to/from crew?

.... I am still thinking that the people who are testing positive could have been infected before the quarantine was put into place.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of airline food and the need to spin up new supplies almost instantaneously. About 2 years ago at LAX, the kitchen of the food supplier for AA at the airport was temporarily shut down due to sanitation issues and AA found that it was suddenly unable to fully cater its flights out of LAX. It took AA about 2 weeks to secure a new source for its catering, so even in a metropolis as big as LA, it’s not easy to find a reliable* food supply for around 9000 passenger meals a day. (Approx 45K passengers go through LAX per day and AA has around 19% of that total)

 

*I was caught up in this mess as I had flights to and from Honolulu during that time and based on what I think about AA, a reliable food supply also means cheap to that airline. 😉 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, LizNeedsAVacation said:

I wonder what will be officially “elderly” for this. I’m guessing 75. @yardley_wong on Twitter appears to be in an inside cabin (or maybe 2 adjoining) with her husband, 6 year old and another son. Her parents are in a different cabin and she mentioned today that her dad was tested because of a mandate to test people over 75.

 

In Japan you can start receiving the pension at 65 so I would assume they consider that and above to be elderly

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

 

In Japan you can start receiving the pension at 65 so I would assume they consider that and above to be elderly

MAtthew Smith (was that the name?) — the twitter account posted a bit further up this thread— posted on Twitter (saw it after I wrote my comment) that the captain said anyone over 80 is being tested and if they negative they will be given the choice to move to land. There were some other limitations but 80 was the age he said.

 

Does make me wonder if a move at this point to allow them to come on land is a sign it will be extended or a sign that they are realizing the need to change course to determine if it is actually still spreading or not.
 

And they were told about the 44 new cases  as well.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, LizNeedsAVacation said:

MAtthew Smith (was that the name?) — the twitter account posted a bit further up this thread— posted on Twitter (saw it after I wrote my comment) that the captain said anyone over 80 is being tested and if they negative they will be given the choice to move to land. There were some other limitations but 80 was the age he said.

 

Does make me wonder if a move at this point to allow them to come on land is a sign it will be extended or a sign that they are realizing the need to change course to determine if it is actually still spreading or not.
 

And they were told about the 44 new cases  as well.

 

People over 80 tend to have more medical complications perhaps they think the effects of confinement are too much from them. Also I suspect there isn't too many people over 80 so maybe they see it has a manageable amount to get off the ship.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The statistics suggest that the elderly have a poorer outcome than younger people. And that the complications arise somewhat later in the progression of the virus. They would not want one of these elderly passengers and who haven’t been tested, to suffer a dire outcome whilst onboard. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

.... I am still thinking that the people who are testing positive could have been infected before the quarantine was put into place.

I agree. It's only day 8 of the quarantine so there were six days prior to that when those people could have come in contact with the virus.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I agree. It's only day 8 of the quarantine so there were six days prior to that when those people could have come in contact with the virus.

While on other forums posters have stated these are new infections post quarantine, they haven’t provided me with any link that confirms they have been infected post quarantine. There is one poster, and I asked Aus Traveller about this yesterday, who does seem to have some inside knowledge due to his work role, (he has been the first I’ve read with particular times and dates that I’ve not seen anywhere else) and he said yesterday that these were post quarantine. 
 

Bottom line - who knows and if they do, they aren’t saying anything publically. 

Edited by Pushka
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

 

People over 80 tend to have more medical complications perhaps they think the effects of confinement are too much from them. Also I suspect there isn't too many people over 80 so maybe they see it has a manageable amount to get off the ship.

A few days ago I read the numbers of each age group. There were quite a few over 80 and even some in their 90s.

 

Looking at the number of infections, I notice that the passengers make up a very large proportion. The total number of infections is 218, of which (if I remember correctly) only 5 are crew. Therefore, out of 2,600 passengers there are 213 people infected - 8.3%. The 1,100 crew have 5 infections - .45% I hope the figures and my maths are correct. The point I am suggesting, is that the age demographic of the passenger complement, has resulted in a much higher percentage of infections. Another factor that could have caused the higher rate of infection among the passengers is that have more exposure to other passengers - in the lift or in the theatre etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Pushka said:

While on other forums posters have stated these are new infections post quarantine, they haven’t provided me with any link that confirms they have been infected post quarantine. There is one poster, and I asked Aus Traveller about this yesterday, who does seem to have some inside knowledge due to his work role, (he has been the first I’ve read with particular times and dates that I’ve not seen anywhere else) and he said yesterday that these were post quarantine. 
 

Bottom line - who knows and if they do, they aren’t saying anything publically. 

Also the actual time to perform the tests, which I think is more than 24 hours from what I read somewhere, skews the timeframe somewhat, and symptoms may develop slowly which would skew the timeframe even more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Pushka said:

While on other forums posters have stated these are new infections post quarantine, they haven’t provided me with any link that confirms they have been infected post quarantine. There is one poster, and I asked Aus Traveller about this yesterday, who does seem to have some inside knowledge due to his work role, (he has been the first I’ve read with particular times and dates that I’ve not seen anywhere else) and he said yesterday that these were post quarantine. 
 

Bottom line - who knows and if they do, they aren’t saying anything publically. 

I think the dates are available if a person reads through these threads or made a note of them as they were originally posted. I don't think that proves post-quarantine infection. 🙂 There seems to be a 'divide' among people who are posting here - the "pre's" and the "post's". 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pushka and Aus Traveller - have a read of one of the threads over on the Crystal forum, the last page or so. Very interesting. I'll wander over and get a link to it for you.

 

Here it is. The interesting bit starts at post #394. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/topic/2728931-crystal-the-corona-virus/page/16/

 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I think the dates are available if a person reads through these threads or made a note of them as they were originally posted. I don't think that proves post-quarantine infection. 🙂 There seems to be a 'divide' among people who are posting here - the "pre's" and the "post's". 😁

I was trying to map it out in a spreadsheet yesterday. Impossible to prove post-quarantine infection until right at the end of the quarantine period.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I think the dates are available if a person reads through these threads or made a note of them as they were originally posted. I don't think that proves post-quarantine infection. 🙂 There seems to be a 'divide' among people who are posting here - the "pre's" and the "post's". 😁

These were the dates that the Quarantine Officer was on the ship and back in his office. I haven’t seen those anywhere. And yes, - me I’m sitting on the fence. I’m open to hearing both ‘sides’. 😬

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Alberto Aliberti, President of Atlas Ocean Voyages
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising, the River Cruise Experts
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...