Select Dining vs MDR

nyc2pdx

Just now, nyc2pdx said:

Travelling on the Millenium in May.  Whats the difference?  Are there different menus?

Select dining is actually an option for WHEN you eat dinner, not where or what you eat. There's early seating, late seating and select dining. In select dining you can go to the MDR (a certain section of it) when you choose during dinner hours. In early and late you are seated at the same table, with the same people and have the same wait staff the whole cruise. In select you may not have the same table or wait staff. You may also have a short wait for a table during the busy time. All have the same menu and all are in the main dining room.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just to make sure its clear, MDR stands for Main Dining Room and as described, is the place that early/late/select dining is done. 

The Millenium is a great ship, enjoy!

Den

Edited by Denny01

If I cruise solo, and do select dining, is it possible to get a table by myself?  I don't mind waiting a bit, but I just don't like having to be at dining room every night same time, and as a solo, don't really like to be seated with different people every night, having to repeat over and over where I come from, what I do or did for a living and all that stuff that I prefer to keep to myself.

So is it relatively easy to get a solo table with select dining? thanks.

46 minutes ago, SMSACE6 said:

If I cruise solo, and do select dining, is it possible to get a table by myself?  I don't mind waiting a bit, but I just don't like having to be at dining room every night same time, and as a solo, don't really like to be seated with different people every night, having to repeat over and over where I come from, what I do or did for a living and all that stuff that I prefer to keep to myself.

Simple answer, yes you can get a table for 1.  Tables are close together so should be inclined to engage with the folks on either side you can and if you don’t not a problem.

• Like 1

SMSACE6, I traveled solo on the Equinox last summer.  I had select dining in the MDR and had no trouble getting a table for one.  I went relatively early in the evening, before the busiest time.  The host seated me at a nice table near a window.  As I left that night I asked if I could have that table the rest of the week.  The host booked my reservation and I stayed in the same spot with the same servers all week.  Some nights I chatted with the folks at neighboring tables.  Some nights we nodded and did no more.  

Have a great trip.

Yes, we always get select dining and almost always wind up at the same table with the same waitstaff every night. You can actually make a reservation for select dining before your cruise begins (or while you’re on it). We ask for the same time every night. If we decide to eat elsewhere, we just cancel it. 

Yes, traditional dining is what many refer to as ‘early’ dining. Times range depending on the itinerary and the ship, but your reservation means you have a set 6:15pm dining time.

That’s the time I choose and enjoy. Sometimes we finish in time to catch the 7:30pm show that’s usually set for the late diners (don’t do dessert until latter at El Bacio!). And you do have a set table so you don’t have to que up prior to 6:15 - for some reason, lots of people line up outside the MDR well prior to it’s opening, espeially the 1st night, but there is no reason to do so. The staff will lead you to your table and you’ll either dine alone, or with a group as you’ve set up. 

If you aren’t sure you have a table setup (with a group or not), check after you get onboard and they will set it all up for you. And 6:15pm is a good time to show up and your waitstaff Will get your order in and off you go. And if you show up a bit later, all is fine. I forget how late you can show up, but it’s about 15min or so. 

Enjoy

Den

Edited by Denny01

On 2/6/2020 at 8:54 PM, SMSACE6 said:

I hear ya--- What you can do is either come a little earlier than the crowd or a little later.

Or, ask the " gal at the podium " to sit you at a table for 2 .

LOL-- I thought we were the only ones that are asked '' Where do you come from , how many cruises have you taken , ".

When you say " Ottawa " -- do you get a blank stare as to -- Where ???

On 2/7/2020 at 5:24 PM, auntjoy036 said:

SMSACE6, I traveled solo on the Equinox last summer.  I had select dining in the MDR and had no trouble getting a table for one.  I went relatively early in the evening, before the busiest time.  The host seated me at a nice table near a window.  As I left that night I asked if I could have that table the rest of the week.  The host booked my reservation and I stayed in the same spot with the same servers all week.  Some nights I chatted with the folks at neighboring tables.  Some nights we nodded and did no more.  

Have a great trip.

thanks for this, I tend to like early dining best anyway.

4 minutes ago, SMSACE6 said:

thanks for this, I tend to like early dining best anyway.

Just thought of this--- You can also go up to the Oceanview Cafe for dinner -- lots of food selection, space to sit by yourself .

I heard there is a famous eggroll place in Ottawa -- Golden Palace ??

If you have Select dining and wish to reserve specific times, you can do that easily in the Cruise Planner.

However, if it's due to another reason or you want personal contact, I believe you can use the general inquiry e-mail: CelebrityEngagementCenter@celebrity.com (it used to be CelebrityOneTouch@celebrity.com, but that e-mail doesn't appear on Celebrity's website anymore).

If it's due to special needs/medication, you should use special_needs@rccl.com .

Edited by mikkelhansen

On 2/7/2020 at 1:05 AM, MEcruzr said:

In select you may not have the same table or wait staff.

I pre book Select for as near to 7 pm as is available, before we leave home. Early is too early and late is too late. 

We have always been seated in the same area of the dining room, with the same waiter, but not necessarily at the same table. I think this is because I am Dairy Intolerant, so the waiter gets to know my needs.

• Thanks 1