4 Consecutive Sea Days....Enough To Do?

Sascol

My wife and I are considering a Hawaii cruise (15 nights round trip from LA in the Island Princess). The trip starts with four consecutive sea days. We have been on 10 cruises and while really enjoy sea days, we've never had more than two in a row previously. Can anyone who has sailed Princess previously tell me if there are enough planned activities on these four days to keep us busy? We don't need non stop activities, but would like a selection of things to keep us occupied.

My advice is to connect with others on your cruise via the roll call boards here. We've been part of some great groups in the past. It's fun to get together on the sea days and get to know people better. Cruising is very social - I think the fact that everyone on board is sharing the same experience helps break down the barriers that we seem to have around us in our everyday lives. We have attended weddings, participated in horse racing with CC groups (alas, not anymore :(), and had numerous in-cabin get-togethers and dinners with new friends.

There are plenty of other activities, too, to suit an array of interests.

Sascol - When's your trip. we got a group going on 4/21/2006 on the IP. Our Roll call is up and running if that's the cruise your going on. A group is staying at the Hilton in Long Beach adn going to meet for dinner the nite before. We plan to have a CC get together on board the first Sea day and go from there

Bill

Sascol - When's your trip. we got a group going on 4/21/2006 on the IP. Our Roll call is up and running if that's the cruise your going on. A group is staying at the Hilton in Long Beach adn going to meet for dinner the nite before. We plan to have a CC get together on board the first Sea day and go from there

Bill

Bill, we have not committed 100% to this trip yet, but the dates we'd sail would be either Sept 21st or Oct 6th. Your plans sound great though.

If you can be content working out, or reading, or doing needlepoint or napping or getting caught up on movies or painting/drawing or sunning, you will love sea days (we do!). On top of that, the CD staff will have a lot of things going on too, which may or may not be to your taste. But we have sailed with people where anymore than one sea day in a row is too many. I hope I never catch that affliction!

I personally would go on a cruise that had no stops just 7 days at sea.

If you live a hectic life and like to relax on holiday I find that sea days are a great way to unwind - and there is always something to do on a ship

Just back from the 1/21/06 Island Princess cruise. There was certainly no shortage of offerings on sea days. If you would happen to be fortunate enough to have "Dr Bob" Bassa doing a number of presentations on Hawaii and Pearl Harbor, be sure to attend every one of them. He is very knowledgable and entertaining. We attended all of his presentations and enjoyed every one. Ordinarily we would not be so faithful in attending, but he has so much to offer.

The production shows were really good, and near the end of our cruise, a new production troupe came aboard, and did a very high energy show. Some nights there were individual performers (singers, comedians, ventriloquist, magician) and we enjoyed those shows. (We skipped the ventriloquist - not interested.) There is a full length recent movie every day and repeated in the late evening. The night of out stop in Honolulu, a hula troupe was brought aboard that put on a very good show. The performers were 7-17 years old and had won numerous international awards.

Hope you decide to take this cruise. It really was a wonderful experience, so good that we are planning to repeat this cruise with Princess in 2008.

We did the R/T to Hawaii a couple of years ago and enjoyed it so much, we're doing it again in March. Unlike 7-day cruises or port-intensive cruises, the CDs plan a lot of interesting lectures and activities. On our cruise, there was an economics professor who lectured every day about investing money, retirement plans, etc. He didn't recommend anything but did it from the standpoint of what to know and what to look out for. Another activity was that they got large, remote-controlled dune buggies and had "races" on the dance floor around pylons. It was a hoot to watch. Probably more fun to play. For me, there was lots to do but then I'm comfortable being myself and don't feel I have to be entertained.

I personally would go on a cruise that had no stops just 7 days at sea.

If you live a hectic life and like to relax on holiday I find that sea days are a great way to unwind - and there is always something to do on a ship

We did a transatlantic that did just that. It was heavenly and we had spent the previous six days running around London (with a one-day sidetrip to Paris) seeing as many of the sights as possible so it was nice to relax once we were onboard the ship. Plenty of activities though if you want to do more than read and relax. Twenty five hour days for five of the days crossing were an added benefit.:) We also did a Hawaii cruise that spent the last five days crossing to Vancouver and never lacked for things to do. Enjoy.:)

I did the RT to Hawaii in 04 and loved it so much I did it again last year! This is one of my all time favorite cruises and I will do it again (and again) first you have 5 sea days to unwind relax etc, then you enjoy the islands rrun around like crazy and do a bunch of stuff, then you have 5 days to cruise back and relax etc. (not to mention the port wine or a chocolate banana drink!)

We took a Transatlantic last Fall (Star Princess, Copenhagen to Fort Lauderdale, on Sept. 22) and had even more sea days than scheduled because weather prevented our stopping in Greenland.

We were never bored one minute, and though I love to read, I never picked up my book during any of the sea days. They have games scheduled all day, and 2 movies, morning and afternoon, also. Plus there are lectures and all sorts of other things to do. In fact, I found myself having to choose between activities I really wanted to participate in that took place at the same time, and still never had extra time.

We loved that cruise and all the sea days so much that we're taking another one on April 15, Galveston to Rome on the Grand Princess, that has 6 days at sea in a row (it's really 8 in a row, because there is a sea day the 2nd day out, then the ship stops in Ft. Lauderdale for a "service call" for 3 hours, and none of the passengers can get off, so i call that a sea day as well, then there are the 6 days across the Atlantic).

I'm glad you're taking Princess for your Hawaii cruise. We did that one on RCCL and they did not have as many activities and none of the lectures some of the others have talked about in this thread.

Best cruises for us are 1/2 port and 1/2 sea days. We did a 10 day to Ensenada to Hawaii with sea days getting there.... and really enjoyed it.

My wife likes the arts and crafts classes, demonstations (ice carving / veg carving / cooking / etc). We also enjoy the trival games and other group activities (but pass on bingo and art auctions).

A day by the pool reading and relaxing is also a great thing to do on a cruise.

:)

My wife and I are considering a Hawaii cruise (15 nights round trip from LA in the Island Princess). The trip starts with four consecutive sea days. We have been on 10 cruises and while really enjoy sea days, we've never had more than two in a row previously. Can anyone who has sailed Princess previously tell me if there are enough planned activities on these four days to keep us busy? We don't need non stop activities, but would like a selection of things to keep us occupied.

Just back from the 06 January Hawaii cruise on the IP.

The answer to your question in general is yes... there is several planed activities throughout the day and evening.

I have attached a txt file scaned from the 18 January Princess Patter "day at sea", just to give you an idea. I had to scan it as OCR to make it small enough to attach so it may be a little messy, and is not formated like the origional. BUT... it should give you an idea as to activities.

Have fun... :)

Princess Patter.txt

We did a Hawaii cruise a few years ago. My husband was worried he would either be bored or claustrophobic about being out in the ocean for so many days. But, when we finally got to Ensenada we were both sorry that it didn't last longer. It was so relaxing to have so many sea days in a row. No agenda or worrying about being in ports. We explored more of the ship instead of the favorite places we had already frequented. There was plenty of activity and entertainment too.

Enjoy!

Susan

PatnBob - there is a whole very long thread on the Roll Calls for the 4/21/06 cruise to Hawaii. Go there and introduce yourself.

My husband, David and my sil and bil will be joining me on the 4/21/06 sailing. We were talking about having a CC get-together on the 1st sea day. I think Cruzr4er is organizing it.

Welcome to our group.

Roberta

Archived