Silhouette's new Retreat

groryjm

34 minutes ago, teamflames said:

Ok I guess that is ends any discussion.

Not trying to end discussion - just pointing out that if one truly feels there is a better choice elsewhere, why criticize what exsists on X?  (The OP's original purpose I believe.)

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, teamflames said:

Oh absolutely, I can’t speak for the other poster but I was genuinely looking for discussion on the differences. No judgement on my behalf, I was just sharing how we think about it. I am interested in those who like suites on large lines and why? Sorry if people took offence.

I do disagree with the increasing amount of cordoned off areas as I think it could create an “us and them” mentality between customers and could lead crew to also treating customers differently. 
My personal view is that service levels should remain consistent in public spaces.

I enjoyed the discussion on differences also.  I learned something.

Everyone has their reasons for their choices also.  I learned something about why people made them.  I am sorry if anyone was offended by my questions.

Extra knowledge gives me the opportunity to reavaluate my choices.

I learn something new every week on CC.

Edited by NMTraveller

20 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I enjoyed the discussion on differences also.  I learned something.

Everyone has their reasons for their choices also.  I learned something about why people made them.  I am sorry if anyone was offended by my questions.

Extra knowledge gives me the opportunity to reavaluate my choices.

I learn something new every week on CC.

Not offended,

just sometimes cannot understand why others tell perfectly happy Suite guests on Celebrity that they should cruise on another line...(not your particular comments, just a general ongoing theme)...

We are intelligent holiday choosers. We look at all options..cruise lines, land, AI, villa...then we make a choice based on what is important for us.

For others smaller ships may work better...for us we want the best of both worlds..the big ship facilities with a small ship feel when we want it...

• Like 2

On 2/23/2020 at 7:06 AM, Caribbean Chris said:

Designing the deck 16 retreat into a space inaccessible by elevator is another “Form Over Function” decision, which IMHO is a hallmark of Edge-style. 

if it’s true the suite passengers are charged for drinks at the retreat sun deck bar, that makes no sense.

I guess we’ll find out how the M class retreat works for us, but not booked on Constellation until next year when it comes to Tampa.

Been on the Retreat sun deck on the Edge last week and have just returned to our cabin from the Retreat sun deck on the Silhouette and have been charged for neither food nor drink. They take your cabin number but that is it.

The Silhouette deck is less protected than the Edge from the wind caused by the movement of the ship but we have had drinks there earlier today, returned after applying Sun Screen for a light lunch (with more drinks). The food choices are the same as the Edge with the sole difference being that they use crisps rather than fries which is OK if it is perfectly still but they tend to fly off the plates. I know the reason for the crisps - the Luminae galley is 12 decks below but fries are more likely to stay on your plate and Luminae fries are very good. It is early days but today the staff were continually moping up and sweeping up flying crisps.

we like the additional choice of Luminae food on deck.

• Like 2

I read a post moaning about the retreat sundeck last week about wind. It was equally windy on the Edge on Saturday but there were still some hardy souls out there. The difference is that the Edge deck was open where the Silhouette was closed. They do need to extend some of the wind breaks on the Silhouette. What is there just now is the same as on the old Solstice deck. These need to be extended so that there are overlaps in them to stop the wind rushing through. A little bit more screening and it will radically improve the deck.

Edited by Gordoncruickshank
  • Like 1

On 2/16/2020 at 1:26 PM, DrKoob said:

And the caste system on Celebrity now has another victim. A huge space wear 90% of the ship can't go. Not as bad as the E class where there is not a single front-facing lounge. After 20+ cruises and Elite Plus status, another reason we are moving to Viking Ocean where everyone is treated the same. 

Go ahead...flame me Suite people.

You seem to forget that they put what looks like very comfortable seating and lounging areas on the two lawn areas at the sides of the chimney stacks which more than replaces the Solstice deck area or the area at the front of deck 15.

6 hours ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

Been on the Retreat sun deck on the Edge last week and have just returned to our cabin from the Retreat sun deck on the Silhouette and have been charged for neither food nor drink. They take your cabin number but that is it.

The Silhouette deck is less protected than the Edge from the wind caused by the movement of the ship but we have had drinks there earlier today, returned after applying Sun Screen for a light lunch (with more drinks). The food choices are the same as the Edge with the sole difference being that they use crisps rather than fries which is OK if it is perfectly still but they tend to fly off the plates. I know the reason for the crisps - the Luminae galley is 12 decks below but fries are more likely to stay on your plate and Luminae fries are very good. It is early days but today the staff were continually moping up and sweeping up flying crisps.

we like the additional choice of Luminae food on deck.

You do not have the drink package on this cruise?

enjoy the rest of your cruise.

On 2/16/2020 at 7:09 AM, hcat said:

I thought the same...fairly industrial!

It was horrible and incomplete on the Equinox.  Very hot, no shade protection, no water feature- no bar- an unfinished useless space.  I realize it wasn't finished due to an accident damage that was a priority- but the deck should all be like the Edge suite deck, with more shaded areas- many people do not appreciate full sun- it should be like a smoking section and those people who want shade should have more options.

On 2/16/2020 at 7:09 AM, hcat said:

I thought the same...fairly industrial!

It was horrible and incomplete on the Equinox.  Very hot, no shade protection, no water feature- no bar- an unfinished useless space.  I realize it wasn't finished due to an accident damage that was a priority- but the deck should all be like the Edge suite deck, with more shaded areas- many people do not appreciate full sun- it should be like a smoking section and those people who want shade should have more options.