Another reason why you want to use a Passport!!!

ABQrobin

9 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

If you have something to declare you must see a customs officer. There are no longer paper customs forms. So Mobile Passport is moot. All mobile passport did  was replace the paper forms, it did not replace the need to see a customs office if there was something to declare. 

And travelers are expected to know what to declare, ignorance of the law is no excuse.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

If you have something to declare you must see a customs officer. There are no longer paper customs forms. So Mobile Passport is moot. All mobile passport did  was replace the paper forms, it did not replace the need to see a customs office if there was something to declare. 

It sounds more like the "green light/red light" setup at airports I've seen in Europe.  You self-select yourself for declarations.  If you have nothing (or like to abuse the law), you go through the green light door, if you have something, you go through the red light door and visit Customs.    I'll bet that somewhere, some bureaucrats decided people aren't honest on their forms and they were wasting money on checking...

I always get a kick out of the privacy people. Especially as they use cell phones, credit cards, Facebook, etc.

Of course I don't want my info abused, but at some point, the tinfoil hat comes off. Once you read past all of the conspiracy theories, you find that 99% of people never have an issue. If anything, the technology makes life easier.

• Like 1

The green/red system has been in place for many countries for years.  If I’d very good.  Once you clear passport control you only need to see customs(red) if you have something to declare.  Great for us because we travel light and very seldom have something to declare. People selecting green are subject to random checks.  In some countries all arriving guests have their bags scanned right after passport control.