Another reason why you want to use a Passport!!!

ABQrobin

Got home last night from a cruise on the Conquest out of Miami.  It is not available to all ports yet, but expect it coming soon.

OMG....  at that port right now, they are testing a new system at the port to make customs go faster and.............  Wow.  IF...and only IF....  you are traveling using a Passport, you get off the ship and walk up to a person with a video screen.  They tell you to look at the screen, it takes a picture of your face and matches your face with your passport, facial recognition software.  Boom, you are cleared and out the door you go.  No standing in line to see the customs agent at all.  

People traveling with birth certificates still have to go stand in the customs lines, and present their documents.  

So... it took us about 60 seconds to walk off ship and out the door.

Just sayin'.....   

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ABQrobin said:

Got home last night from a cruise on the Conquest out of Miami.  It is not available to all ports yet, but expect it coming soon.

OMG....  at that port right now, they are testing a new system at the port to make customs go faster and.............  Wow.  IF...and only IF....  you are traveling using a Passport, you get off the ship and walk up to a person with a video screen.  They tell you to look at the screen, it takes a picture of your face and matches your face with your passport, facial recognition software.  Boom, you are cleared and out the door you go.  No standing in line to see the customs agent at all.  

People traveling with birth certificates still have to go stand in the customs lines, and present their documents.  

So... it took us about 60 seconds to walk off ship and out the door.

Just sayin'.....   

They had it running when we got off the Breeze in December. Was super fast getting out.

5 hours ago, ABQrobin said:

IF....  you are traveling using a Passport, you get off the ship and walk up to a person with a video screen.  They tell you to look at the screen, it takes a picture of your face and matches your face with your passport, facial recognition software. 

Isn't that a blatant invasion of privacy and data?    Can you refuse to be bagged and tagged in such a way?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, KnowTheScore said:

Isn't that a blatant invasion of privacy and data?    Can you refuse to be bagged and tagged in such a way?

They have your passport photo, and your data already. You gave that up when you applied for a passport. You don't have to,  and a certsin small percentage the scan  fails to be recognized and have to take their passport  to an officer but what would that accomplish? The officer then runs your passport thru the reader and looks at your photo. They still have your data. Same thing as the facial recognition. The only difference is the new process is faster.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, KnowTheScore said:

Why???  You gave them your passport when you checked in for your cruise.   All they are doing is matching that info as you leave.

They have facial recognition in Canaveral and we loved it!!  We barely stopped walking from leaving the ship, facial recognition and out the door of the terminal.  It was awesome!!

Edited by GTO-Girl
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, shof515 said:

other cruise lines is also using this tech too. I read Norwegian is using it at New York. I wonder if it will be ready for my cruise in May

I've been seeing this in airports for a few years now.

Facial recognition is already in use in Europe, at least for citizens of EU countries.  I observed this in use at Hamburg, Germany in 2016.  There was a separate area for EU citizens who wanted to use this.  They put their passport face down on a scanner, removed any head coverings or eyeglasses, then if they cleared the door opened and they were in and done. (Didn't see anybody not clear.)

The US will probably move to this.  In November 2018 anybody applying or renewing a passport had to have their photograph taken without any eyeglasses.

Edited by BlueRiband
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, BlueRiband said:

Facial recognition is already in use in Europe, at least for citizens of EU countries.  I observed this in use at Hamburg, Germany in 2016.  There was a separate area for EU citizens who wanted to use this.  They put their passport face down on a scanner, removed any head coverings or eyeglasses, then if they cleared the door opened and they were in and done. (Didn't see anybody not clear.)

The US will probably move to this.  In November 2018 anybody applying or renewing a passport had to have their photograph taken without any eyeglasses.

My passport photo is without eyeglasses.  I was wearing glasses both ports where they had Facial Recognition. With this US system you don’t have to take out your passport. It stayed in my pocket. 

We travel with passports as well as Nexus/Global cards.

it is not unusual for us to a digital image of our face and our fingerprints when we are entering many countries...especially in Asia.  We give up right to privacy when we travel. Security plus the fact that we are really only guests in the country.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/16/2020 at 5:07 PM, KnowTheScore said:

Sure, go stand in the regular line.  Or stay home.

• Like 2

We had this in Fort Lauderdale last year off a Celebrity cruise, like others we didn't stop from ship to curb, self carry off. While I definitely recommend passports and this was a great thing, I am not sure I would choose it as a reason to get them.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2020 at 11:26 AM, ABQrobin said:

OMG....  at that port right now, they are testing a new system at the port to make customs go faster and.............  Wow.  IF...and only IF....  you are traveling using a Passport, you get off the ship and walk up to a person with a video screen.  They tell you to look at the screen, it takes a picture of your face and matches your face with your passport, facial recognition software. 

OMG, we had the same in Miami last year, and EVERYONE got to go through this automated recognition system. 

Nobody asked if we had passports....

41 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

OMG, we had the same in Miami last year, and EVERYONE got to go through this automated recognition system. 

Nobody asked if we had passports....

In Bayonne and Fort Lauderdale they told us we had to have a passport to use the Facial Recognition. 

On 2/16/2020 at 5:07 PM, KnowTheScore said:

That ship has sailed, pardon the pun.

"This spring, we heard that the FBI’s facial recognition database now includes more than 641 million images and the identities of an unsuspecting majority of Americans, which can be searched anytime without warrant or probable cause."

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/11/the-future-of-facial-recognition-in-america.html 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

Use Mobile Passport for US declarations

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/mobile-passport-control

If you have something to declare you must see a customs officer. There are no longer paper customs forms. So Mobile Passport is moot. All mobile passport did  was replace the paper forms, it did not replace the need to see a customs office if there was something to declare. 

• Like 1