Onboard Dentist ??

RetiredRich

3 hours ago, BetsyS. said:

on the web - I'm sorry your wife had that problem on the cruise. I hope she 

was given a different antibiotic by the ship's doctor.

Actually, she was prescribed Benadryl, and that somewhat cleared up the problem. Steroids were also prescribed, but she was leery of that and did not do them until we were home and her own physician also prescribed steroids.

I was onboard the QE2 about 40 years ago from NYC to St. Thomas, Puerto Rico and back.

Somebody noticed that I was a dentist, and introduced me to the ship's one.

I was very impressed with the set up...just as nice as I had in my office.

They provided full service to crew members and could handle any dental emergency.

Those days have long past.....just like skeet shooting.....confetti streamers.....and table side Caesar's Salad and pasta preparations for every table at dinner.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY
  • Like 1

David - I was on the QE2 in the 70s and 80s out of Southampton UK. 

I had a dental emergency and was seen right away, but I did not 

get a bill.  I told the dentist I wanted to pay him and he said "Buy me

a drink in the Theater Bar" so I did. He was an excellent dentist and 

he looked EXACTLY like the doctor on the TV show "The Love Boat."

All the passengers who saw him around the ship called him "Doc."

I had many happy times on the QE2.

• Like 1

I was on a RCCL cruise to Alaska when I lost my front cap.    It was not a simple re-glue situation as I had snapped off the post that held the cap.    The medical center did have a repair kit that they charged $5 for but as post was snapped it did not work.  The next day was visiting glaciers so not port.   Next port was Skagway.  The night before I received a message from medical center that they had made a dental appointment for me at one of the few dentists in town and where I should meet transportation in AM.   They had actually made transportation arrangements for me also.    Long story short….dentist did not have equipment to repair tooth but was able to bond cap to adjacent teeth.   We spent a week in Las Vegas after cruise and with care bonding lasted until we arrived home.   I hope I never have to experience this again but was grateful for the care received by ship

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were on a Princess cruise when DW had a cap fall off.  The ship's staff was not helpful and did not have any recommended Dentists in our next port (Greenock). So, it was Google to the rescue as we found a Dentist within walking distance of the tender pier, telephoned from the ship, and got an appointment.  

A Dentist friend of ours used to work, as a Dentist, onboard some cruise ships.  He and his wife would get free cruises and he primarily would treat the crew.  If a passenger needed emergency dental work he would handle it for a fee.  But most (if not all) ships stopped doing that many years ago.  Now, we know of some ships that arrange for crew appointments ashore and even provide them transportation.

Hank

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BetsyS. said:

Hallmark cards at Dollar Tree are only 50 cents. 😊

Yes, they are. But everything else is 1.25 which for us becomes $1.35 if taxable.

So the cards are actually 54 cents including tax. Still a bargain.

On 2/19/2020 at 10:46 AM, RetiredRich said:

We were on a 14 Eurodam Panama cruise a few months ago.  I got on the elevator and one of the ship's officers in great pain was there also.  He had his hand up on his cheek and said he has a very bad tooth ache.  I've always wondered what became of him.  I don't think any ship has an on board dentist.  Probably a doctor that can prescribe pain killers.  But what a bad place to get a tooth ache.

The crew doctor will have referred that officer to a shore-side dentist at the next port of call for a consult and to hopefully take care of his dental pain. You are correct; HAL does not carry dentists onboard

Once met a dentist on the Amsterdam who mentioned that he had a free cabin for providing dental services to the crew.  I believe he only practiced on sea days.  

I have learned that just because dental care is offered in other countries doesn't mean that it is inferior to what we receive here in the U.S.  I had a minor gum infection before my DW and I planned to spend a few weeks in Taiwan.  Talked to my regular dentist and decided to take care of it when we returned.  The cost was to about $1K.  It got worse when we were in Taipei, so I stopped at a dentist close to my DBIL's house.  No appointment needed, just a wait of about 20 minutes to see the dentist.  He found that the problem was caused by improper cleaning below the gum line.  He did a proper cleaning, the problem disappeared, and the cost was roughly $30.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Once met a dentist on the Amsterdam who mentioned that he had a free cabin for providing dental services to the crew.  I believe he only practiced on sea days.  

I have learned that just because dental care is offered in other countries doesn't mean that it is inferior to what we receive here in the U.S.  I had a minor gum infection before my DW and I planned to spend a few weeks in Taiwan.  Talked to my regular dentist and decided to take care of it when we returned.  The cost was to about $1K.  It got worse when we were in Taipei, so I stopped at a dentist close to my DBIL's house.  No appointment needed, just a wait of about 20 minutes to see the dentist.  He found that the problem was caused by improper cleaning below the gum line.  He did a proper cleaning, the problem disappeared, and the cost was roughly $30.

Having a problem like this now.  No severe pain, just inflammation.  The Dentist thought for sure it was a popcorn husk, but nothing....  no severe pain or puss.  Just inflammation.  Xray says root still intact.  Dentist had to do some excavation (scaling) to make sure nothing was down there.... it is common problem.

If you have a great deal of pain, like 7-10 out of 10 (10 meaning you absolutely cannot handle it and you would like to die), then it could be your root is dying.  Dealt with this once on travel and pain reliever can get you by for a day or two until the root nerve is gone, mine was definitely root in this case, you would know if it is as it is not just an ache.  Once the root is gone the pain is gone and you will lose the tooth if you do not deal with it in a week or so.

I am not a dentist, YMMV.

I have been through a few medical incidents overseas.  Thus far my experience is that they are far better than the US.  They were in Germany, Singapore and S. Korea.  Nothing even remotely life threatening, just superior drugs and fast acting doctors.... Oh, and cheap.

I used to worry one of us would get sick overseas and we wouldn’t be able to access a doctor or afford the treatment.  Everything from dengue to COVID to elective reconstructive surgery has proven that fear wrong. 

Now I worry more that we’ll get sick at home and won’t be able to access a doctor or afford the treatment.  

I know we can’t be the only ones who schedule dental/medical appointments in ports we’re not crazy about but end up in frequently by virtue of the itineraries we sail.  I’ve got one coming up in Puerto Vallarta in three weeks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, five. said:

@Mary229 Never even knew dental glue was a thing. You should create a packing list post, essential / first aid type list. What other things do you take on board?

I will have to create a post next time I pack.  I keep a separate chest of drawers for my long trip travel necessities 

On a Northeast Passage cruise years ago, we stopped at a settlement on Wrangel Island where the locals welcomed us with local foods including muktuk.  A woman offered it to me. Trying to be a good guest and trying to eat it, I broke off one of my front teeth.  Looking up, I saw the woman smiling at me with a mouth full of gnarly teeth.  I knew then that there was no dentist within a thousand miles.

On 12/4/2022 at 11:00 PM, ontheweb said:

My DW was in the same situation with having dental surgery before a cruise. But then on the cruise she unfortunately learned that she was allergic to the antibiotic that had been prescribed to her. (That's why I always reply not that I am aware of when asked if I have any allergies.)

I also had the same experience before a cruise. Dental surgery involves the use of antibiotics extensively. Before, during, and after the procedure, antibiotics are administered. They aid in preventing infections that can develop following the surgery. Not taking antibiotics after dental surgery carries a danger. Although there are some antibiotic alternatives, each has its drawbacks. Infection and inflammation may result in mouth and jaw pain and discomfort. Additionally, it may result in more severe problems like sepsis or life-threatening endocarditis. My cosmetic dentist helps me to find out which has no side effects on me.

Edited by Jonahnath

On 2/19/2020 at 3:02 PM, Mary229 said:

That reminds me, we always have a dental kit in our luggage. Glue for crowns, temporary fillings, etc. ...so knock on my door next time😁

Several years ago a friend we were cruising with broke a crown biting down on something hard. She used a piece of cauliflower as a temporary replacement crown, and it looked okay. Didn't last very long though.. 😄

• Haha 1