Self Disembark?

sakigemcam

1 hour ago, sakigemcam said:

Hello - I used to know the answer to this so please refresh my addled memory - 

If we are planning to self disembark, what if any are the time constraints? 

Thank you!

You simply carry your own luggage with no assistance.  You can leave as soon as the ship is cleared for disembarking or stay until about 9:30.

• Like 1

We usually self embark as early as possible.  I think that when the numbers are being called it gets very crowded on the elevators and hard to get your luggage between floors.  You will still be expected to clear your cabin by around eight and then you will have no place to park your luggage.   Sometimes at the "drive in" ports a lot of people self embark to get an early start driving home and there can be a very long line to walk off.  It is very aggravating when people that can't handle their own luggage (too many bags etc.) try to walk off because they clog up the passage ways stopping, dropping and readjusting.  You want to be able to move with the traffic.   ...Just some things to consider..

33 minutes ago, SHIP TRAVELER said:

We usually self embark as early as possible. 

Thank you - I remember one time we did it and enjoyed breakfast at the buffet and then sat outside until we were being picked up around 10/10:30. Is that doable? Prefer to stretch it out on the ship rather than on the chaotic sidewalk!

We just got off the Summit Saturday and walked off. 
the disembark info said we could walk off about 7 once the the ship was cleared. It also said they requested cabins be cleared by 8am. On this cruise we were staying in San Juan so we were in so rush.  We packed all our bags so they were ready and went to breakfast at 7:45 leaving bags in our room.  When we returned we stayed in the cabin until about 8:50 and walked off.  If they had come to clean the cabin we would have left sooner.   I would think you might be able to stay on the ship somewhere in a common space until maybe 9:30 or 9:45.  I think that was when the last luggage groups were to be completed.  

• Like 1

We stayed on Summit in Retreat until final call at 9:15.    At that time an announcement was made that all passengers not continuing to depart the ship.    The B2B's were also called to exit.    I think they shoot for a Zero count at 9:30.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2020 at 6:37 AM, SHIP TRAVELER said:

It is very aggravating when people that can't handle their own luggage (too many bags etc.) try to walk off because they clog up the passage ways stopping, dropping and readjusting.  You want to be able to move with the traffic.   ...Just some things to consider..

I once saw a self debark cruiser, clearly overloaded, clog up a thick line of other debarking cruisers.  To top it all off, the overloaded cruiser suddenly decided to adjust their luggage at the bottom of an escalator at port.  Could have caused many injuries.

Up until this point, the people I saw were silent, but shaking their heads and rolling their eyes.  After the escalator, the silence was broken and lots of yelling and screaming.

It depends on how much luggage you have, as you may have a long wait for elevators, on a 5 day cruise I can go with one easy to manage rolling carry on, so we walk right off.

On longer cruises or in Europe we wait , eat breakfast and then get off.

If you have an early flight, that’s the way to go, but have transportation waiting.

6 hours ago, peter1956 said:

Sorry to bring up an old thread. Do you need to inform Celebrity if you plan on self debarkation?

No.  We simply did not put out our luggage the night before.  We also travel light - 1 suitcase and 2 carryon tote bags - if you have lots of luggage don't do it.

Our last sailing, the last "group" for disembarking was at 09:00, so we sat in the buffet until then and made our own way off. 

As a courtesy, we let our cabin steward know, as he was really busy that evening, and was keeping track of how many more bags he'd have to remove.