Again - REAL ID requirements supposedly to be enforced Oct. 1

slidergirl

Yep, it's back.  DHS is saying this time, it's real.   Supposedly, for air travel, from the US, starting this Fall Oct. 1, we're going to have to present REAL ID-compliant drivers license of one of a few other forms of DHS-approved ID.   If you use your DL, you're going to have to have that little gold star in the corner of the DL.  My state thought it was being cute and rebellious and refused to put the star on licenses - it put the word "US" inside an outline of our state for licenses that actually complied with REAL ID.  Well, now they are spending tons of money to make new licenses with that star on them for those of us who still have a valid license but the "US" mark.  My "new" license (I renewed in 2017 and not due for 2 more years) was just produced last week and should be in the mail within 60 days.  The DMV set up this system to that we can see when we can expect our new license and if we need it sooner, they'll expedite.

I'm not worried myself - I have 3 other pieces of DHS-approved ID already and carry one of them with me all the time...

16 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I'm not worried myself - I have 3 other pieces of DHS-approved ID already and carry one of them with me all the time...

I'm not worried either.   I have a passport and passport card and always travel with them anyway, even domestically.    When my license expired, it was much easier to renew online than go to the DMV, although that meant I couldn't get a Real ID.  When it expires again in 2023 I'll have to go in person so I'll do it then.

• Like 1

My DW and I decided to do it ahead of our expiration date. Our state extended our renewal date of our license so although we paid for it now it was a better choice than waiting. My feeling is that when OCT hits the DMVs nationwide will become zoos.

The other question I have about this whole mess is that entrance into Federal buildings will have the same ID requirements. So what happens to those who don't need a real ID or passport and get called for Federal Jury duty?

Well, that was fast!  My new DL came in the mail yesterday.  Exactly like my current one, but they stuck that gold star next to the UT/USA thing toward the center, so it's not right in the corner.  Kind of like another dig at the Feds - "OK, we added the damn star, are you happy now?"

On 2/25/2020 at 10:46 AM, thinfool said:

You can bet there will be a workaround.

Why should there be?  The States have had plenty of time to get this into place, and people have a number of other options including carrying a passport.

8 hours ago, ducklite said:

Why should there be?  The States have had plenty of time to get this into place, and people have a number of other options including carrying a passport.

As a Canadian what is weird about this process is that a drivers license issued by any Canadian province is accepted as valid ID where REAL ID is required.  The domestically issued driver license do no is just weird.

12 hours ago, ducklite said:

The workaround would be in connection with answering a summons to serve on a Federal jury in a courthouse that requires at least RealID to enter.  Non-travellers have no need for a RealID license or passport but would need a way to enter a courthouse to answer their summons.

As for 'workarounds', I know of a Post office that is in a Federal Building.  Already there are ropes up and security officers in place to allow PO patrons to get their mail without needing to 'enter' the courthouse.

Edited by thinfool

14 hours ago, ducklite said:

Why? Because the law doesn't require you to have a Real ID, but people still need the appropriate ID to get into certain locations. Yes, it would be nice, but you are not required to have one. Many people who don't envision themselves flying, won't get them. So, Federal building will have options,  AKA, "workarounds".

9 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Why? Because the law doesn't require you to have a Real ID, but people still need the appropriate ID to get into certain locations. Yes, it would be nice, but you are not required to have one. Many people who don't envision themselves flying, won't get them. So, Federal building will have options,  AKA, "workarounds".

My comment was specific to the TSA.  I agree that Federal buildings will be required to offer an alternative screening solution.  FLying is a choice, being summoned to appear before a Federal Grand Jury is not.

The law does not state "you'll need RealID to fly", it states "only US drivers licenses w/ RealID will be accepted as ID".  it's a subtle but important difference.

There is and still will be a way to fly without appropriate ID.  The website papersplease dot org talks extensively about this.

7 hours ago, scottbee said:

The law does not state "you'll need RealID to fly", it states "only US drivers licenses w/ RealID will be accepted as ID".  it's a subtle but important difference.

There is and still will be a way to fly without appropriate ID.  The website papersplease dot org talks extensively about this.

In my original post, I did say you would need a REAL-ID-compliant DL or one of the other forms of DHS-accepted ID.    There are people on CC who feel no reason to have a passport or passport card or GE/Sentri/Nexus because they have only done closed-loop trips.  They now have to choose to be sure they have that compliant ID or drive/train/bus to the port...  Sometimes you can get through without ID that you lost/forgot, but it's time consuming and you may or may not make your flight (interviews, verifying you through public records, verifying your employment, etc.  ).  

57 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

In my original post, I did say you would need a REAL-ID-compliant DL or one of the other forms of DHS-accepted ID.    There are people on CC who feel no reason to have a passport or passport card or GE/Sentri/Nexus because they have only done closed-loop trips.  They now have to choose to be sure they have that compliant ID or drive/train/bus to the port...  Sometimes you can get through without ID that you lost/forgot, but it's time consuming and you may or may not make your flight (interviews, verifying you through public records, verifying your employment, etc.  ).  

Which is exactly why I've corrected this post; and why I'll correct your misconception again.

You do *not* need ANY ID to fly, you will continue to not need ANY ID to fly.  If you show up without ID, you need to go through a special process, but you can still fly. Hundreds of people do so every day.

The difference is that a non-Real ID compliant drivers license will be treated the same as a library card, ie it's not valid as ID unless it's a RealID driver's license. This article goes into a little more detail

https://papersplease.org/wp/2020/02/13/real-id-act-amendments-dont-address-the-real-id-problem/#more-14255

And from the TSA's own website: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

Forgot Your ID?

In the event you arrive at the airport without valid identification, because it is lost or at home, you may still be allowed to fly. The TSA officer may ask you to complete an identity verification process which includes collecting information such as your name, current address, and other personal information to confirm your identity. If your identity is confirmed, you will be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint. You will be subject to additional screening, to include a patdown and screening of carry-on property.

You will not be allowed to enter the security checkpoint if your identity cannot be confirmed, you chose to not provide proper identification or you decline to cooperate with the identity verification process.

TSA recommends that you arrive at least two hours in advance of your flight time.

I think the comments can be summed up thusly:

After October 1, if you want to fly within the US, and you want to just show ID and go right on through security in the easiest way possible, you'll need to have either a Real ID, a passport book or a passport card.  There are exceptions, but for most people this is what it boils down to.

1 hour ago, waterbug123 said:

I think the comments can be summed up thusly:

After October 1, if you want to fly within the US, and you want to just show ID and go right on through security in the easiest way possible, you'll need to have either a Real ID, a passport book or a passport card.  There are exceptions, but for most people this is what it boils down to.

Global Entry card works too. That's what I'll be using for domestic flights until I get my REAL ID drivers license.  That way I don't have to carry my passport, and I don't have a passport card.

55 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Global Entry card works too. That's what I'll be using for domestic flights until I get my REAL ID drivers license.  That way I don't have to carry my passport, and I don't have a passport card.

Correct, and I suppose I should have included that; I was thinking more in terms of what the majority of people would be most likely to possess.

21 hours ago, scottbee said:

Yes, there are always some folks who will resist the system.  At best, trying to get through TSA, without an acceptable form of ID, will result in you being shunted aside and going through additional screening along with a long wait while officials take steps to verify your identity. .  For those who are content to spend an extra hour or more and enjoy undergoing a very thorough search, not having the appropriate ID might be a good experience.  After those folks miss their flight they can go post on the papersplease web site where they will get lots of sympathy.

Personally we will carry multiple forms of acceptable ID including a realID DL, Global Entry card, etc.   I admit to missing the good ole days when I could get to an airport 30 min before a flight and have no issues making the flight.  But times have changed and smart travelers adapt in order to make their travel experience as efficient and pleasant as possible.  

Hank

43 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

Correct, and I suppose I should have included that; I was thinking more in terms of what the majority of people would be most likely to possess.

I thought it was worth mentioning here because I suspect that a far higher percentage of readers of this board have a Global Entry card than does the population at large.

13 hours ago, scottbee said:

Which is exactly why I've corrected this post; and why I'll correct your misconception again.

You do *not* need ANY ID to fly, you will continue to not need ANY ID to fly.  If you show up without ID, you need to go through a special process, but you can still fly. Hundreds of people do so every day.

The difference is that a non-Real ID compliant drivers license will be treated the same as a library card, ie it's not valid as ID unless it's a RealID driver's license. This article goes into a little more detail

https://papersplease.org/wp/2020/02/13/real-id-act-amendments-dont-address-the-real-id-problem/#more-14255

And from the TSA's own website: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

Forgot Your ID?

In the event you arrive at the airport without valid identification, because it is lost or at home, you may still be allowed to fly. The TSA officer may ask you to complete an identity verification process which includes collecting information such as your name, current address, and other personal information to confirm your identity. If your identity is confirmed, you will be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint. You will be subject to additional screening, to include a patdown and screening of carry-on property.

You will not be allowed to enter the security checkpoint if your identity cannot be confirmed, you chose to not provide proper identification or you decline to cooperate with the identity verification process.

TSA recommends that you arrive at least two hours in advance of your flight time.

You didn't add anything.  I said you MAY be able to go through without ID, but you'll be subjected to additional stuff.  Maybe you didn't read that part of my post.  Most people will try to be compliant, only a few rebels will continue to go through without any ID...