upgrade question

gskimmel

Final payment for my cruise was last week and I’d like to upgrade my sky suite to a celebrity suite.  However, my TA tells me that if I upgrade, I will lose the promo given to me at time of booking. That promo is an extra $300 for Alaska sailings. Does anyone know when (if at all) I will be able to upgrade my suite without losing the shipboard credit?

9 minutes ago, gskimmel said:

Final payment for my cruise was last week and I’d like to upgrade my sky suite to a celebrity suite.  However, my TA tells me that if I upgrade, I will lose the promo given to me at time of booking. That promo is an extra $300 for Alaska sailings. Does anyone know when (if at all) I will be able to upgrade my suite without losing the shipboard credit?

If you upgrade you get the perks available with what is in effect a new booking. If that promo is not available then you lose that perk. What is not clear is If you booked with a TA or Celebrity and who gave the $300 perk. It makes a difference. If from a TA then it transfers. If your booking is recent move it to a big box TA and you likely will get at least an extra $300 from them.

21 minutes ago, gskimmel said:

The promo was with Celebrity. So it sounds like I can never upgrade my room without losing the shipboard credit. 

That is correct. So in your case, a price reduction should be at least 300$ for the cabin to break even for the lost OBC. And yet, the other perks might still change, depending on the current promotion at time of re-pricing. Make sure your re-pricing is 1:1 compared to your existing booking, or that you are at least aware what (negative) changes the re-pricing brings with it.

You might be lucky that Celebrity runs a similar extra OBC promotion again at some point, then you would of course receive that extra OBC, or rather have it "applied in place of" your existing OBC, since they now come from a current promotion.

Edited by mikkelhansen

Celebrity would have to run a special with extra OBC for it to remain.  You have to take the current promotional pricing.  There is no way of knowing if this will happen before you sail, and if it does, there is no guarantee that there will be a CS available either.  What class of ship?

I can't tell you how to spend your money, but I would lose the OBC for the difference between the SS and CS if it were my situation. You will get extra CC points too.   

11 minutes ago, Want2Cruise 701 said:

Celebrity would have to run a special with extra OBC for it to remain.  You have to take the current promotional pricing.  There is no way of knowing if this will happen before you sail, and if it does, there is no guarantee that there will be a CS available either.  What class of ship?

I can't tell you how to spend your money, but I would lose the OBC for the difference between the SS and CS if it were my situation. You will get extra CC points too.   

out of curiosity, why would you be willing to lose the OBC for the CS? It’s the Celebrity Eclipse. 

Edited by gskimmel
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, gskimmel said:

out of curiosity, why would you be willing to lose the OBC for the CS? It’s the Celebrity Eclipse. 

I like having the separate living area. It just has a little nicer feel to me.  If you can grab a CS on the slant you will have a larger balcony.  That would be the no brainer to me.  Also where is your SS?  A directly facing aft location would be great, but if it's under the OceanView, I would take the CS for that reason of having a better location.  

6 minutes ago, Want2Cruise 701 said:

I like having the separate living area. It just has a little nicer feel to me.  If you can grab a CS on the slant you will have a larger balcony.  That would be the no brainer to me.  Also where is your SS?  A directly facing aft location would be great, but if it's under the OceanView, I would take the CS for that reason of having a better location.  

I am on deck 12 (2121). There are five CS left: 

• Deck 10: 1235, 1112
  • Deck 11: 1619, 1620, 1622

You just have to take the delta in price/perks between what you currently have and the current price/promo for the CS.    Unfortunately it doesn't look like the Double Savings promo will be returning after the current promo.  That was generally a good deal for suites as it was an extra $500 pp savings.

Since you are after final payment the suggestion above to transfer to a TA won't work.  Transfers are not allowed after final payment.

This really confuses me. Up until last week I was in a Aqua cabin and when I booked it got Free standard drinks package, free gratuities and $200 obc. Last week I upgraded to a Penthouse suite, as Im in a suite I get a premium drinks package anyway. However with that. They are currently offering $1000 Obc but i have been told i only get the $200 that i got when i originally booked.