Voyager of the Seas got bounced by Vanuatu

I don't see it posted yet, but some might be interested:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/vanuatu-denies-entry-to-cruise-ship-following-influenza-diagnoses-20200229-p545kv.html

This is becoming a thing now with crew or passengers coming down with flu causing cruise ships to be rejected by ports. Can't blame either side, but no one wins out of this. Cruisers lose a port, local businesses lose tourism. Covid-19 economic side effects.

Edited by BulldustHHH

5 minutes ago, S904 said:

Oh boy... i'll be on her 3/18 hopefully this wont be a permanent thing moving forward with Vanuatu

Same here. Apparenty a brawl broke out at guest services after the change of itinerary to NZ was announced with 4 arrested and to be put off once she docks. Some pretty upset passengers on board.

27 minutes ago, soak01 said:

Same here. Apparenty a brawl broke out at guest services after the change of itinerary to NZ was announced with 4 arrested and to be put off once she docks. Some pretty upset passengers on board.

WOW! That doesn't surprise me, some people are really stupid.

i booked the cruise because of going to vanuatu and new caledonia so i will be a little bit upset by the changes if any occur. I would press guest services for some form of refund or future cruise credit. 

2 hours ago, soak01 said:

Were did you get your info ? 

I found this 

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2020/02/articles/disease/royal-caribbeans-voyager-of-the-seas-denied-permission-to-call-on-ports-during-australian-cruise/

May be a cruse to no were ?

1 hour ago, S904 said:

WOW! That doesn't surprise me, some people are really stupid.

i booked the cruise because of going to vanuatu and new caledonia so i will be a little bit upset by the changes if any occur. I would press guest services for some form of refund or future cruise credit. 

Well, read your cruise contract now so you can get it out of your system.  Ports are not guaranteed.  If there are “must-see” locations, it is better to fly there if possible.  When booking a cruise with specific ports in mind, do it with hope and prayers.  

Rather than being upset by changes when on a cruise, instead feel blessed every time your itinerary goes off without a hitch (and feel doubly blessed if by chance the itinerary changes in a way you happen to fancy).

I am sincerely sorry to hear about the port cancellations due to illness on board.  I hope the issues resolve quickly and do not recur.  I am boarding a Caribbean cruise tomorrow and I know ships and ports are hyper-alert right now for any signs of illness.  I know some my fellow passengers will be unhappy if we are unable to go ashore at variously ports, though I hope nobody gets fighting mad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

What type of refund would you expect? Per the cruise contract, ports are not guaranteed.

I understand that. But customer satisfaction is key to their business and keeping customers satisfied can include refunds, future credit, OBCs, etc. 

i am an entitled american. so BACK OFF! lol

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Agree, missed dozens Ports myself over the yrs for various reasons. Nothing can do...

I have too in my 400 nights of cruising... but changing to a completely different itinerary has never happened. I've missed tons of tendering ports, bad weather in harbor, etc. but changing every port to a new port that is done on a different itinerary has not happened for me. I booked south pacific islands not a new Zealand cruise. if i wanted a new Zealand cruise i would have booked one of the itineraries on radiance or ovation (or whatever ship does that route). 

16 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Well, read your cruise contract now so you can get it out of your system.  Ports are not guaranteed.  If there are “must-see” locations, it is better to fly there if possible.  When booking a cruise with specific ports in mind, do it with hope and prayers.  

Rather than being upset by changes when on a cruise, instead feel blessed every time your itinerary goes off without a hitch (and feel doubly blessed if by chance the itinerary changes in a way you happen to fancy).

I am sincerely sorry to hear about the port cancellations due to illness on board.  I hope the issues resolve quickly and do not recur.  I am boarding a Caribbean cruise tomorrow and I know ships and ports are hyper-alert right now for any signs of illness.  I know some my fellow passengers will be unhappy if we are unable to go ashore at variously ports, though I hope nobody gets fighting mad.

again in 400 nights ive never had a full itinerary change. guess ive been quite lucky. definitely missed a port here and there. so i dont think to qualify to feel blessed the cruise goes off without a hitch.

wouldnt get fighting mad by any means but i would definitely inquire with guest services and/or suite lounge attendant. 

its worked in the past so i can definitely see it happening again.

6 minutes ago, S904 said:

I have too in my 400 nights of cruising... but changing to a completely different itinerary has never happened. I've missed tons of tendering ports, bad weather in harbor, etc. but changing every port to a new port that is done on a different itinerary has not happened for me. I booked south pacific islands not a new Zealand cruise. if i wanted a new Zealand cruise i would have booked one of the itineraries on radiance or ovation (or whatever ship does that route). 

You are tracking towards New Zealand , but still have yet to get clearance , you might become "boat people' and get a free holiday on Christmas Island . :classic_smile:

3 hours ago, S904 said:

I am guessing you have not cruised much in the Caribbean during hurricane season.  We have been on ships that made all kinds of changes even mid cruise.  Eastern cruises have become Western.  I have seen Caribbean cruises out of New Jersey become New England cruises.  When there were virus problems in Mexico, those cruises became Pacific Northwest cruises.  

Major changes are not common but they do happen.    

• Like 3

I'm onboard now. 

We are being refunded one day of the cruise fare and obviously all shore excursions pre booked are refunded too. People are generally unhappy. New itinerary is Tauranga, Bay of Islands, then Eden AUS. 

Lots of people complaining but what can you do. Interesting re brawl cause I saw security guards sitting outside a few rooms but didn't know why. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the main issue is people wanted a beach holiday. Original itinerary included isle of pines, mystery Island, lifou, mare, Port Vila and noumea. That's alot of islands and the sole reason I chose this cruise to go on. Then it changed on boarding day to Noumea, Port Vila and Luganville, still a little disappointing but oh well well make do. Booked new excursions we were very excited for.

And now we are going to NZ and back to AUS which isn't as warm and far more expensive to do anything. I didn't even bring a jacket lol. 

4 hours ago, S904 said:

Sorry, wish work out for you. Myself, been Cruising since mid 80's.and also just went over 400 nites on Royal Caribbean ships. Use to Cruise the Caribbean every yr during Peak Hurricane Season. When do that common to miss Port or even change all Ports. Last 8yrs been Cruising out North Atlantic in Fall, with that when Major storm hits its not common though ships have had go to Cold Canada rather then warm Caribbean. That being said, this is unique situation,  hope all works out for you

1 hour ago, Blizzard54 said:

I am guessing you have not cruised much in the Caribbean during hurricane season.  We have been on ships that made all kinds of changes even mid cruise.  Eastern cruises have become Western.  I have seen Caribbean cruises out of New Jersey become New England cruises.  When there were virus problems in Mexico, those cruises became Pacific Northwest cruises.  

Major changes are not common but they do happen.    

based In Florida so majority are Caribbean. Guess I’ve gotten lucky. I don’t book Caribbean for the ports though. 

1 hour ago, jsg612 said:

I'm onboard now. 

We are being refunded one day of the cruise fare and obviously all shore excursions pre booked are refunded too. People are generally unhappy. New itinerary is Tauranga, Bay of Islands, then Eden AUS. 

Lots of people complaining but what can you do. Interesting re brawl cause I saw security guards sitting outside a few rooms but didn't know why. 

awesome. I appreciate the update. Glad to know they did that. That would satisfy me for sure. If anything else comes up regarding it please update us! 

agree. On your second post. I booked it for that beach itinerary and I’ve never been to those locations. 

guess I’ll pack a jacket or two for back up!

There was a pepper spray attack  on the MSC ship in the Caribbean maybe not on Voyager or maybe another attack has happened on Voyager. The MSC had been denied entry to Jamaica and Cayman Is.

166D806B-FDFA-4969-B989-FC62AE1CECBE.thumb.jpeg.8cc3bc9be0aba0632f39c02da0cb7e75.jpeg

Edited by megsie

10 hours ago, Hogbay said:

You are tracking towards New Zealand , but still have yet to get clearance , you might become "boat people' and get a free holiday on Christmas Island . :classic_smile:

Any update on this? We haven't been informed onboard about any potential disruptions to our NZ ports. I hope we get to dock somewhere! Going a bit stir crazy with all these sea days 😴

3 hours ago, Hogbay said:

Hope all the angry people understand that it's not the staff's fault and remove gratuity ? might not possible now that Aust fairs have it in the total not as a add on 🤞

It's built in to Australia fares so should be fine. Understand this is not the staffs fault. The communication from RC and even from the Captain has been pretty terrible, which is just adding to the general angst onboard. All the other ships are allowed into Vanuatu except this ship, which seems a bit odd 🤔

7 hours ago, S904 said:

awesome. I appreciate the update. Glad to know they did that. That would satisfy me for sure. If anything else comes up regarding it please update us! 

agree. On your second post. I booked it for that beach itinerary and I’ve never been to those locations. 

guess I’ll pack a jacket or two for back up!

Someone actually told me (a passenger, not staff, so take it with a grain of salt) that we haven't even been cleared to stop in NZ at all so might not dock tomorrow/day after, after all. Again, I've got no confirmation of this but I wouldn't be surprised to be honest. 

Tensions are quite high onboard, especially at guest services. Wouldn't be surprised if even more people get thrown off. 

We will still be tipping etc. Not the staffs fault. They are in fact working extra hard to make it better for us. 

7 hours ago, jsg612 said:

I think the main issue is people wanted a beach holiday. Original itinerary included isle of pines, mystery Island, lifou, mare, Port Vila and noumea. That's alot of islands and the sole reason I chose this cruise to go on.

I completely understand. I was looking at this cruise and the sole reason was all the islands. I'm pretty flexible but would have been VERY disappointed. We are leaving in just over a week for a New Zealand/Islands tour and even then I'll be disappointed if our 2 island stops are turned away. I'll understand, but still be upset.