does everyone on CC know your cruise buddies?

luckyinpa

im pretty new here but i see posts like 'john and i love xyz' or they will ask if a certain drink is on a ship because sally likes it.  they will literally word it like that too (sally likes coke, is that on board?)  it's like they are talking in a closed group where everyone knows each other and i find it bizarre. and while of course some have been on this forum forever, id dare say a huge portion of folks never met nor talked to these people.

i get when someone talks about DH DW generically etc.  but the specificity of the forum is something you dont see many other places. 

so if you are the author, do you actually expect everyone to know who sally is? 

how many people from here have you actually met? im very curious.

also piper is too

33 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

Many of the contributors have been around for years. A lot of them have met in person, whether on a ship or elsewhere. I have met a few in person and corresponded outside of CC with others.

Exactly this, for us as well. We are still friendly with several people we met first online on our Roll Call, then in person on the ship, and have continued to be friends with them long after the cruise. It's wonderful because we are all here because of our love of cruising and it's exciting to talk about it. 😊

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Langley Cruisers said:

Exactly this, for us as well. We are still friendly with several people we met first online on our Roll Call, then in person on the ship, and have continued to be friends with them long after the cruise. It's wonderful because we are all here because of our love of cruising and it's exciting to talk about it. 😊

What Langley Cruisers said describes me also.  I remain amazed at the number of people whom I first met on a Roll Call and remain in touch with to this day.  I have visited a couple in their homes, I have sailed again with others (sometimes more than once), exchange holiday/birthday greetings, etc.  There are others who participate on CC fairly regularly that I have never met and would like to do so.   I have come to respect them and their views because of the tone of their postings.  Maybe they would disagree, but I consider these CC Members among my "online friends".  

• Like 3

14 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

im pretty new here but i see posts like 'john and i love xyz' or they will ask if a certain drink is on a ship because sally likes it.  they will literally word it like that too (sally likes coke, is that on board?)  it's like they are talking in a closed group where everyone knows each other and i find it bizarre. and while of course some have been on this forum forever, id dare say a huge portion of folks never met nor talked to these people.

i get when someone talks about DH DW generically etc.  but the specificity of the forum is something you dont see many other places. 

also piper is too

I know no one and have no intention of meeting either.

I have been on holiday in groups of friends and family etc and it doesn't work. 

I mean why on 3arth would you holiday with family when you see them almost daily?

As for meeting folk on here thats more likely to happen by them approaching me to comment on my inappropriate attire. Or how I drink beer out of the bottle. Or how I only washed my hands for 45 seconds and not the full 60.

I believe one or two would even try to find out how much toilet roll you used on each visit to the khazi.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2020 at 9:53 PM, ldubs said:

I met my good friend Thurston Howell III and his wife, Mrs Thurston Howell, III, right here on CC!  😀😀😀 

It always galls me the way Thurston keeps harping about his 3 hour cruise. Griping about the crew not having uniforms, no proper weather updates, know it all passengers, glamour girls getting all the attention, no phones, no lights, no motor cars available on his ship-provided island excursion.  Way too many coconut food dishes at the beach buffet. Keeps looking for Guest Services to remove the tips.

Lovie is far better adjusted.

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/4/2020 at 3:29 AM, DarrenM said:

I know no one and have no intention of meeting either.

I have been on holiday in groups of friends and family etc and it doesn't work. 

I mean why on 3arth would you holiday with family when you see them almost daily?

As for meeting folk on here thats more likely to happen by them approaching me to comment on my inappropriate attire. Or how I drink beer out of the bottle. Or how I only washed my hands for 45 seconds and not the full 60.

I believe one or two would even try to find out how much toilet roll you used on each visit to the khazi.

I am very fortunate to actually enjoy vacations/holiday with my in-laws (we talk almost daily but don't actually see each other that often).  We make it work by clear communication and feeling free to tell the others if we just need some space from each other - and often do have a few hours each day even camping where we get away from each other 🙂 

OP - I've met a few people on cruises that I know from the forums (one was a random shared dinner seating), and have even shared a cruise with you but I don't think we met at the meet & mingle.

I’m at the board to seek advise and help where I have some experience - Have met  few from CC at cruises but newer established relationships with any People at CC nor had social contact during cruises. Different people different needs.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2020 at 1:03 PM, luckyinpa said:

also piper is too

We have met many people from CC in person and not just on cruises.About 10 years ago I was posting a lot to a guy on CC .We decided in 2011 to meet for lunch .We were not living in the same state ,in fact it was a 5 hour drive to a half way point.My wife thought it was crazy for us to go so far to meet a couple that we did not know but we went and had a wonderful time .This couple became very close friends.

We have since met several other couples from CC .

• Like 2

On 3/3/2020 at 9:53 PM, ldubs said:

I met my good friend Thurston Howell III and his wife, Mrs Thurston Howell, III, right here on CC!  😀😀😀 

I met Tina Louise many years ago,before she was on the cruise with your friends the Howells.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, mayleeman said:

It always galls me the way Thurston keeps harping about his 3 hour cruise. Griping about the crew not having uniforms, no proper weather updates, know it all passengers, glamour girls getting all the attention, no phones, no lights, no motor cars available on his ship-provided island excursion.  Way too many coconut food dishes at the beach buffet. Keeps looking for Guest Services to remove the tips.

Lovie is far better adjusted.

And, Gilligan's real name was Maynard G. Krebs!