More self-serve in Lido?

BJzink

I have sailed HAL exclusively for my last 7 cruises.  I have been impressed by their "no self-serve food on the buffet" policy.  However, on my last 2 cruises there were several food items that had communal spoons & tongs for passengers to help themselves - i.e. bowls of cut fruit, bread & rolls, pre-made sandwiches (not in the bag), butter.  This negates the purpose of having the staff serve food items.  Think about the spoons & tongs being handled by several hundred passengers who may or may not have washed their hands prior to entering the buffet.  And - the taco buffet at the pool is another problem.  On my last cruise I saw a pre-teen scoop up some sour cream, put his finger in the spoonful & taste it, and then return both to the bowl.  I mentioned It to one of the staff, said he would take care of it, not sure if he did.  Just some thoughts.....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BJzink said:

I have sailed HAL exclusively for my last 7 cruises.  I have been impressed by their "no self-serve food on the buffet" policy.  However, on my last 2 cruises there were several food items that had communal spoons & tongs for passengers to help themselves - i.e. bowls of cut fruit, bread & rolls, pre-made sandwiches (not in the bag), butter.  This negates the purpose of having the staff serve food items.  Think about the spoons & tongs being handled by several hundred passengers who may or may not have washed their hands prior to entering the buffet.  And - the taco buffet at the pool is another problem.  On my last cruise I saw a pre-teen scoop up some sour cream, put NYU’s his finger in the spoonful & taste it, and then return both to the bowl.  I mentioned It to one of the staff, said he would take care of it, not sure if he did.  Just some thoughts.....

Wow! I hadn’t thought about any of that!  Bet I will now. Maybe I’ll just eat in the dining room. LOL! 

Thanks, didn’t think about that, I did think about the coffee and milk/ cream containers, usually in the Lido I do self serve coffee, milk and water.  So much to think about and how to avoid person to person same objects held, heck even salt and pepper containers.  What about the desserts you know the cookies and the tongs, or condiments, etc, I guess it could be endless.  We are still planing to go though, we have a cruise in about five weeks, maybe all meals in MDR is the answer.  Who knows.  No ping pong either.  

Having returned from Oosterdam there was a lot of self serve in the Lido which really surprised me.    The sugar containers (humidity is not their friend) saw people poking knives in to break up sugar clumps.     All the handling - germ jamboree.   Jams, syrups, peanut butter out in large bowls.    Not under glass for sneeze control.   Having watched people's frustration trying to get peanut butter into little serving containers and then using fingers.   I avoided all of that.    I would say be cautious and possibly avoid handling tongs and large spoons.  I sent a note to Hotel Manager and never had a reply.    I thought this was new policy for Lido and said to myself the dining room is a better place.    Husband quarantined for a couple of days with fever, imagine my annoyance and concern when I saw that they send salt, pepper and sugar containers to room.    They should be using one time use packets.   I pointed it out and was told they sterilize everything.   Let's be real how can they say that - a person may of coughed or sneezed on salt, pepper and sugar.    You can wipe the outside off but can not say it is sterilized.   If you dumped out the contents of s,p and sugar that would do it but would be wasteful and unnecessary.    Trays came to room 4 times which was too many times for me to see this practice.   I sent a note to hotel manager that this was a bad practice after the first tray.   I never had the courtesy of a reply.   HAL has really good practices and protocols for safety and environment.    The unfortunate situation with Coronavirus will heighten procedures and hopefully a few positive changes along the way will be implemented.

Hopefully they will reconsider, self service in the buffet is the perfect storm to any virus spread, IMHO..........One reason I like and recommend HAL to friends is because they serve you in the buffet, perfect example is Princess and the latest outbreak.  I believe they allow self serving in the buffet, with their issues with the Coronavirus I hope all the cruise lines take this as a learning moment and reconsider self service on their ships.........

Edited by doone
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Crew News said:

Per the Nieuw Statendam Environmental Officer, individual-serving packaging and plastics are being eliminated due to their effect on the environment.

Yes I see that it is environmentally the right thing to do - eliminating plastics  is happening everywhere.   I do feel there should be an exception when there is room service to a quarantined room.  For sanitary reasons single packets of sugar, salt and pepper should be provided.   You cannot guarantee that containers and contents coming out of room can be properly sanitized for the next user.  Dishes and silverware can be put through a dishwasher.   I know ship has single use packets as you see them at Half Moon Cay.  These paper packets are more recyclable than plastics.  

Sometimes I think the environment has to take a back seat to health considerations, and this is one of those situations.  I recently visited a friend in the hospital who has a highly contagious disease.  She was in isolation and I spoke with her from a separate room with a closed circuit TV.  I was there when her tray was delivered, and it was all disposables.  When she was done the tray was placed in a biohazard bag.  

• Like 3

I know y'all are right but it just becomes too hard to live if you have to worry about everything.

I've managed 77 years with nothing but reasonable common sense and figure I'll continue until

I get hit by a truck on the freeway.

• Like 2