for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

I make fried chicken but I make it in the air fryer .A million years ago I used to date a guy who made delicious fried chicken . He started it in a frying pan and then put it in the oven.I am still in yoga pants but now I have nice yoga wear ad around the house yoga wear .The nice wear is either under armour or Nike .The around the house wear is bits and pieces of things I have accumulated .The nice wear I wear when running a quick errand or for our walks .The other is for home wear . 

14 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I ended up going to my place and getting the "Hash Hash" bowl: sweet potato hash, pulled pork (not BBQ, just pulled), with pickled onions, cojita cheese (a mexican cheese), sour cream crema and avocado.  Soooo good!   

Oh that sounds so yummy!!

We recently discovered a new taqueria nearby that delivers. They have a brisket barbacoa with really crispy, smoky edges with taco sauce and topped with kimchi. I'm in love!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Oh that sounds so yummy!!

We recently discovered a new taqueria nearby that delivers. They have a brisket barbacoa with really crispy, smoky edges with taco sauce and topped with kimchi. I'm in love!

The bowl was excellent!  It normally comes with their braised beef, but I have the sub in the pulled pork.    Got to say - even though I don't eat beef, that barbacoa sounds yummy!

My watermelon & feta "dessert" was a major surprise, in a good way.  It wasn't just watermelon & feta - it also has thin half-moon slices of watermelon radish, mint, pickled fresno pepper, pepper flakes and a kefir lemon vinaigrette.  Talk about spicy!  It all went together so well.  I did have to grab a slug of milk at the end as the spice just kept building.  But, not so bad to keep me from drinking the leftover juice/dressing!!!     Oh - on the hash bowl, it wasn't just sour cream crema, but there was a little horseradish in there.  

Back to usual today, I think.  I still have a bag of asian salad mix in the fridge, so I'll probably do some shrimp to add to it and change out the little bag of dressing (ginger soy) for some spicy peanut I have.  I wish I had a bottle of Reisling to go with it (Reisling goes well with spicy Asian).  I'll go for my can of Colorado Core beer.  

Filled out my weekly unemployment online today.  Unfortunately, no more $600 addition, just the old $360 now.   I can dive into my 401K to get by.  I cannot imagine what is going to happen to the millions who don't have the benefit of a 401K and their weekly payment is not as much as I'll get.   In case you don't know, taxes are taken out of unemployment so I really didn't get $960, it was something like $831.  I'm not going to take a job as an overnight auditor at a hotel just to satisfy the Feds until my condo jobs comes back in November.  I worked all my life.  This is the first time I've done unemployment.  I feel I have earned the right to take the unemployment.   And, Ivanka's "Find Something Different" push is laughable.  I don't think I'm going to go to trade school at 66 to learn how to be a plumber...    And, no, that extra $600 was not more than what I made - it was a wash.  My rant - sorry.

OOTD:  my trusty white sleeveless hoody minidress.  The gray one is in the wash.  

Kat, hopefully there will be another unemployment supplement soon. Isn’t there one under discussion? May not be as much as this time around but maybe enough that you won’t need to dip into your 401k and those who don’t have assets to fall back will still be able to manage.

OOTD same ole and once again no make up😊.

Sharon

OOTD.....whenever I am home (which is most of the time) LOL.....I am in shorts and either a tank top or short sleeved

top.  Today it is a tank.

Hi all :)

Sharon, sending a late virtual hug to you....  I think we all have "those" days...  glad to hear you are feeling a bit better...  but nothing wrong with giving yourself a pass on doing absolutely nothing if you don't feel like it :)

Melody, I am so sorry to hear about the complications on your scar,  I hope it's not very painful & can be repaired...  & I love your outfit!

Lois & Cynthia, I can imagine how relieved you were about the convention news...  & also Lois, we took my mom mattress shopping last year, & she bought a Hybrid mattress,   it has traditional springs but also a plush memory foam top,  she really loves it & our older DD & SIL bought the same one.

Anita, I can't imagine going through a move during this, & I admire your "can do" attitude!

Kat,  I hope you don't end up having to dip into your 401k, but thank goodness it's there,  & yes, I agree there are going to be people for who the loss of the $600 a week will be devastating.

The whole Covid thing at my Mom's work continues to grow,  she's still fine but for all we know she could just be asymptomatic....  & she attended church today without a mask so.....

Hi to Sailor Sally :)

& Sherri please join us!

• Like 3

• Administrators

This is one of my personal fave forums!  I visit frequently.   Let's keep all discussions on topic and do our best to keep political discussions on political websites.

Thanks!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Anita, I've heard a lot that soaking chicken in buttermilk is a key to fried chicken.  Also, if you have a pressure cooker that is supposed to be a really good way to do chicken.  Have fun making memories with DS

Laura,  I love your Roy Disney quote - enacting the decision might not be easy, but making the decision is 🙂 

OOTD: Athletic top & athletic capris, pony tail for the hair.  I have a workout this morning with my daughter and one tonight with my husband💪🏋️‍♀️

Hi friends from rainy, HUMID, Florida😦 I have lived here all of my life so I know this is normal for July but

geeezzz......it is so sticky outside!   

Hope all of you are having a good Monday.

CK, what brand of Hybrid Mattress does your Mom have? And your daughter?

I haven't been to the store in a while...so we haven't started lessons in the kitchen yet. I've heard about buttermilk and fried chicken on shows like Masterchef etc. 

CK...call me crazy I like moving. I especially like moving the way that we are moving...which is over time. I like puzzles and I used to like playing Tetris. We call it playing Tetris when we pack a car or any moving vehicle...it's like 3D Tetris. I also like going through my stuff...my goal with moving is usually the hope that I can "lighten the load" by sorting and really picking and choosing what to move or not. Eventually that idea hits a wall when I just need to get the move done...but with this load by load in a 4Runner...I really can go through everything. The goal is to take a load and then deal with the load before getting another load.

Most of the items in my home qualify as stuff. And most of that stuff entered the house in shopping bags...and so most of that stuff can be moved in my reusable shopping bags, suitcases, laundry baskets and any other means possible. I grab any available fabric like thing to cushion fragile stuff...towels, sheets, blankets, fabric from my stash...etc etc. Then play Tetris and pack it all in.

It's been kind of nice to be living with just the necessities. 

Lois...it's pouring rain right now here. And yes...SO HUMID. With all our activity, I always have to hang my clothes of the day up to dry...I can't just throw them into the laundry basket. UGH.

Kat...I think we eat similarly...I love me some spicy food. I love watermelon and feta together and that salad sounds tasty!

OOTD...C9 capri leggings, Athleta tank...AGAIN. LOL.

• Like 1

Hi Anita, using buttermilk is a very common ingredient when people fry chicken.  It does depend on the recipe but

I know many southern recipes call for it. 

And I love feta and watermelon too🙂what if I told you the first time I had it was on a cruise? LOL.....yes, on a 

cruise!  When we all used to do that!

Oh, I get my new tv tomorrow!😀

• Like 1

Well, this morning I have my ct scan. I’ve been up drinking the nasty contrast since before 6. Another half bottle at 7:15 & I’m off to the test. I really want a cup of coffee

OOTD, Chicos OTR grey & electric blue polka dot top & Electric blue capris. Sketcher slipons (no metal clasps, buttons, etc). Melody

Anita, if you have a Nintendo DS system they have a series of games called Professor Layton.  Lots of fun spatial relation/mind puzzle type mini games.

Melody, best wishes for the scan.  Your outfit sounds cute.

OOTD - work out clothes again.  Lower body lifting with DD this afternoon and lots of cleaning this morning.

• Like 1

Good Morning Girls, hope everyone is doing ok. 

CK, belated thanks so much for the virtual hug-Those always help! Have had a lot to take care of the last few days and that seems to help out. Also long walks weather permitting. I hope your mom is doing ok. It sounds like she is a bit of a challenge For you when it comes to staying safe. 

Melody, I hope you scan shows only the best possible result. Cute outfit! Do you have a Chico’s OTR near you or do you shop on line! Our closest one is almost 3 hours away in a huge outlet mall. 

OOTD-not sure yet. Going to do some cleaning before I decide. No make up most likely.. Yesterday I did put on full make up (seemed kinds strange) because we had a Zoom business meeting and I didn’t want to scare anyone!
Sharon

• Like 2

Well, got my new tv installed and I love it😀 The picture is really good and I definitely picked the right size.  It is

50 inches and goes beautifully on the cabinet.  The tech was awesome. One of the nicest people I have come across

and he was kind enough to move the old one to the bedroom for me and update the bedroom remote as well.

I am happy🙂

• Like 3

Happy Day Lois! I know how you feel. My new stacked washer dryer arrived yesterday evening! I'm glad to stop worrying about the gas dryer. We only turned the valve on when we were using it...it always smelled a little TOO much like gas with use. I think it had issues...

We're making mac and cheese today. I don't normally make a lot of Alton Brown recipes but I used to watch his show Good Eats way back when and I've been doing his turkey method for Thanksgiving for years. All my recipe books are still at the apt so I googled for his mac and cheese recipe and found the simplest, easiest sounding stove top method. That's our lunch plan today. DS loves mac and cheese and funny enough...I NEVER make it. He always orders it as a side in BBQ places, etc.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/stovetop-mac-n-cheese-recipe-1939465

I have a baked version in one of my books that I've been meaning to try but haven't...going to do that one later.

Reading through some news this morning, I clicked on a title that was talking about how the thought of Skinny Jeans was so awful and other fashion trend changes in 2020. The article was all about how the quarantine may have forever changed the way we approach fashion now after having been living in more comfortable clothing for so long. Everything from women adopting new hairstyles and hair coloring (or lack of hair coloring) that require less maintenance (and salon visits) to makeup trends and also less consumerism overall. People shopping their closets more...experimenting with their looks more since they didn't have to worry about other people seeing them, etc.

I know that I have rediscovered how much I like dresses. I think I've always like dresses, but rubbing thighs turned me off to dresses when doing a lot of walking, etc. I've worn slip shorts to combat that issue but that felt like it was defeating the purpose of wearing a dress for me, so I didn't continue with that. I think maybe because I was trying to hide the slip shorts...maybe I should just go contrasting with it and think of the under shorts as an accent, when needed, of course. This is the look that I have adopted for my bras...because the sleeveless dresses are bra exposers, so I just put on a colorful not too fancy, not too much like an undergarment bra but more like a made to be seen sports bra with my tank dresses and call it good.

Hope everyone is doing well...

• Like 1

On 7/27/2020 at 12:45 PM, Lois R said:

Hi friends from rainy, HUMID, Florida😦 I have lived here all of my life so I know this is normal for July but

geeezzz......it is so sticky outside!   

Hope all of you are having a good Monday.

CK, what brand of Hybrid Mattress does your Mom have? And your daughter?

Hi Lois,  they both bought the Aireloom 13.5 Hybrid Plush mattress set & are super happy with it :)

7 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

Happy Day Lois! I know how you feel. My new stacked washer dryer arrived yesterday evening! I'm glad to stop worrying about the gas dryer. We only turned the valve on when we were using it...it always smelled a little TOO much like gas with use. I think it had issues...

We're making mac and cheese today. I don't normally make a lot of Alton Brown recipes but I used to watch his show Good Eats way back when and I've been doing his turkey method for Thanksgiving for years.

I love Alton Brown and "Good Eats"!  Just last night there were a couple of the "updated" shows on TV. It reminded me that Alton Brown is the one who first taught me about spatchcocking chickens before cooking them (though I still can't really get behind the idea of letting the bird sit in front of a fan for 2 hours before cooking to totally dry off....:classic_dry:)

Tonight's dinner: turkey burgers sans bun plus some orzo salad. I also splurged on a pricey bottle of olive oil and some ciabatta to dip in it....  Going to try that first with my wine.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I love Alton Brown and "Good Eats"!  Just last night there were a couple of the "updated" shows on TV. It reminded me that Alton Brown is the one who first taught me about spatchcocking chickens before cooking them (though I still can't really get behind the idea of letting the bird sit in front of a fan for 2 hours before cooking to totally dry off....:classic_dry:)

Tonight's dinner: turkey burgers sans bun plus some orzo salad. I also splurged on a pricey bottle of olive oil and some ciabatta to dip in it....  Going to try that first with my wine.

I have spatchcocked a chicken several times but never done the fan thing.🤔 I get having it be dried out before cooking though. One of my fave ways is in Rick Bayless’ Everyday Mexican cookbook. Then you grill it.

The Mac and cheese came out amazing. Wow. So good and FILLING. We had that for dinner. One thing to mention, we did finally open a 5 chili pepper hot sauce from one of those specialty variety packs that we bought at a farmers market around Christmas in Arizona. I’d have to look up the name but it’s one of those ultra fiery hot burn both ways kinds of sauces. The Mac could totally handle that kind of heat and while we could sense the heat in the Mac, it just help cut the ultra mega cheesy sauce. Maybe some alternative pastas could cut the carbs...if you like Mac, this is definitely worth a try.

• Like 1

Hi Anita, I love Mac and Cheese but that is no longer on my list to eat.  I don't do those kind of hot sauces though

(never have).  I enjoy foods with great flavors but have never liked "spicy stuff". (that is just me). 

And I love the Food Network too!   Love "CHOPPED"!😀