P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

6 minutes ago, DamianG said:

I've not posted much lately as we've been in a rather dull cycle of home schooling & the usual domestic stuff. Today was different however as our local dealership took in my car for it's overdue service. I chose a while you wait service which I have used before but this time (understandably) there were no refreshments. The social distancing precautions were well thought out with easy to follow signs etc. and the staff were helpful as usual. It seems that I was the only one waiting so I had no concerns about getting too close to others whilst I waited, and the service was completed quicker than last year presumably as they have less cars to deal with. Once I got home I followed grapau27's detox routine, all the clothes in the washer and straight in the shower for me. You can't be too careful.

To further enhance this unusual day my wife visited the in-laws (chatted to the from a distance of course) and noticed the deserted fish and chip shop on the way home. We've therefore had a treat of proper fish and chips for the first time in months. Before anyone asks, that's brown sauce on mine whilst my wife prefers ketchup. Each to their own.

Happy Friday everyone and for any mums and dads home schooling you can take next week off so enjoy!

IMG_0963.jpg

Damien !   Weeres mushy peas ? Had they run out or summat ?    Still they look lovely :classic_love:

Sometimes if I fancied some foreign food ,then yours above with the said peas  and a nice dollop 

of fish shop curry  on top .

Getting back to accents  in Yorkshire I can talk to someone from one side of  Sheffield and you pick up 

a bit of  the Barnsley accent and crossover the city and you begin to get the Derbyshire accent.

Hence they get  the name DEE-DAR which they hate .

It amazes me how the accents can changs in a few miles.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, kalos said:

Damien !   Weeres mushy peas ? Had they run out or summat ?    Still they look lovely :classic_love:

Sometimes if I fancied some foreign food ,then yours above with the said peas  and a nice dollop 

Getting back to accents  in Yorkshire I can talk to someone from one side of  Sheffield and you pick up 

a bit of  the Barnsley accent and crossover the city and you begin to get the Derbyshire accent.

I had to go to a meeting at one of our offices in the Midlands. I had to phone them up and say " Steve, I can't find the address of the office in Doodlie.

Edited by zap99
Spelling
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, DamianG said:

I've not posted much lately as we've been in a rather dull cycle of home schooling & the usual domestic stuff. Today was different however as our local dealership took in my car for it's overdue service. I chose a while you wait service which I have used before but this time (understandably) there were no refreshments. The social distancing precautions were well thought out with easy to follow signs etc. and the staff were helpful as usual. It seems that I was the only one waiting so I had no concerns about getting too close to others whilst I waited, and the service was completed quicker than last year presumably as they have less cars to deal with. Once I got home I followed grapau27's detox routine, all the clothes in the washer and straight in the shower for me. You can't be too careful.

To further enhance this unusual day my wife visited the in-laws (chatted to them from a distance of course) and noticed the deserted fish and chip shop on the way home. We've therefore had a treat of proper fish and chips for the first time in months. Before anyone asks, that's brown sauce on mine whilst my wife prefers ketchup. Each to their own.

It comes to something when this is classed as an exciting day!

Happy Friday everyone and for any mums and dads home schooling you can take next week off so enjoy!

IMG_0963.jpg

Blimey,do you like fish and chips with your brown sauce.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I had to go to a meeting at one of our offices in the Midlands. I had to phone them up and say " Steve, I can't find the address of the office in Doodlie.

We have a lorry that comes up from  "Doodlie" the drivers a good laugh but the first time he called at our office ...

.."Hi dee sent me up to die "   :classic_ohmy:  " As they want to service my lorry tomorrow"

I did not know if  to unload him or send him to the nearest cemetery  :classic_unsure: :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, kalos said:

We have a lorry that comes up from  "Doodlie" the drivers a good laugh but the first time he called at our office ...

.."Hi dee sent me up to die "   :classic_ohmy:  " As they want to service my lorry tomorrow"

I did not know if  to unload him or send him to the nearest cemetery  :classic_unsure: :classic_biggrin:

We rotated our meetings around the offices and being a Southern based company I would say ok folks location of the next meeting Chertsey, Sevenoaks,Berkhampstead ?." Why not Wolverhampton,you never want to come to Wolverhampton ." Ok, Sevenoaks it is then.

Edited by zap99
Punctuation

1 hour ago, kalos said:

they all have their own slang too. 
I work in donny. There are colleges from all different directions usually within 20miles and I don’t understand half of what they are on about. 
they take mick out of me as hubby used to work in steel industry and I seem have picked up some of the way they talk. I get laughed at as I sound common talking to them but soon as I get on the phone I have a posh voice apparently. 

• Like 1

My issues today is that we got some pictures of how school will look when they go back. This is for my 4year olds class. They have to eat at the desk and stay apart all the time. And I don’t know what to do as both me and hubby will be at work and I don’t want to sit them infront of tv for hours on end

C2686298-6845-4C06-B180-B29F9F721B68.thumb.png.cdf0a7d4ac93d44996790fff71a81dd0.png5AA8C083-FB9B-4656-9F58-E336D4AB3C89.thumb.png.5fa8f9f3fa84005074c06bff722ad3a5.png

1 hour ago, kalos said:

My first job up North was Penrith in 1997.I told the locals a joke that was doing the rounds down here. I heard .there's a new drug in the clubs round here,they rub it round the inside of their mouth.Apparently it's called " Eeh by gum". They were not that amused.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DamianG said:

Absolutely, when I was working in a London office colleagues often used to ask me how come my (West) Yorkshire accent was nothing like that of my friend from (South) Yorkshire. I'd say "I dern't know" whereas she would say "I dun't know!" As for our friends in East Yorkshire, aka Humbersaaard, well that's different altogether! 😃

Different dialects, I love to hear them. Even counties within South Yorkshire have their own individual accents. What really irritates me though is when they're sometimes made fun if. More than once I've had to bite tongue  when I've been asked where I'm from , and when I say, Barnsley they repeat it with a chuckle, 'oh Baaaarnsley'. So rude.

Avril 

3 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Different dialects, I love to hear them. Even counties within South Yorkshire have their own individual accents. What really irritates me though is when they're sometimes made fun if. More than once I've had to bite tongue  when I've been asked where I'm from , and when I say, Barnsley they repeat it with a chuckle, 'oh Baaaarnsley'. So rude.

Avril 

Avril

You are one A short! there are 5 A's in the name!

Edited by mercury7289
  • Haha 2

It’s weird init they way you talk when your from different places that aren’t even that far away. 
I remember being told that I shouldn’t say my kid was having a paddy that it was offensive but you use the words your brought up with. 
remember someone saying about a bairn once and I thought they meant barn. 

did you go to/ have a youth club you went to growing up? 

They used to do a very nice chip barm at Knowsley Road, home of St Helens RLFC. Once we'd translated that and knew what it actually meant we always used to get one when we travelled over to watch Leeds play.

ERLRfC6XsAILCsQ.jpg

Edited by DamianG

30 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Best thing to do is introduce them to The Barnsley Chop  (the inedible one :classic_wink:) and keep repeating until they can 

pronounce it right Avril  :classic_wink:

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Dear me kalos watch your language 😟. The correct pronunciation is :-

weerz tha mushy pays. 'atha run art asummat ?

Must do better in your foreign language lessons.😆

Avril 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

I get laughed at as I sound common talking to them but soon as I get on the phone I have a posh voice apparently. 

No, no, vamp. You do not sound common, you just have an accent.  I've never heard you speak but I do know that "common" can come with any accent. Speaking "posh" doesn't mean they are. 😉

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

Blimey,do you like fish and chips with your brown sauce.

Now, now Brian. You have your bream to look forward to. You're just jealous because you won't have any brown sauce to squirt all over it😆.

I hope you both enjoy you evening out.🍷

Avril 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Now, now Brian. You have your bream to look forward to. You're just jealous because you won't have any brown sauce to squirt all over it😆.

I hope you both enjoy you evening out.🍷

Avril 

Will you get change from sick squid in that Plaice, or are you being a cheap skate?🦞

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Dear me kalos watch your language 😟. The correct pronunciation is :-

weerz tha mushy pays. 'atha run art asummat ?

Must do better in your foreign language lessons.😆

Avril 

Sorry :classic_blush: but when you are surrounded by Sheffield ,Barnsley,Worksop and Doncaster

I'm gunna sound weird .

It's a bit like Damians chart, if I'm away from home, I find it better to just ask for some 

"chips wrapped in bread please ".  No matter what I ask for it's wrong  but the best thing is 

they all taste like a Breadcake ,which was what  I asked for .

Trying to get a fish cake is a nightmare ! A few miles from home and they think I want a rissole !:classic_wacko:

It usually ends up with them saying "oh ,you want a fish slice" or some call it a Yorkshire fishcake.

We finally agree what I want is some fish sandwich'd between two large slices of potato, encrusted

in a nice batter.... All for them to tell me  .."Sorry we don't do them " :classic_sad::classic_unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

My issues today is that we got some pictures of how school will look when they go back. This is for my 4year olds class. They have to eat at the desk and stay apart all the time. And I don’t know what to do as both me and hubby will be at work and I don’t want to sit them infront of tv for hours on end

C2686298-6845-4C06-B180-B29F9F721B68.thumb.png.cdf0a7d4ac93d44996790fff71a81dd0.png5AA8C083-FB9B-4656-9F58-E336D4AB3C89.thumb.png.5fa8f9f3fa84005074c06bff722ad3a5.png

It will look a little strange at first but it could seem like a novelty to them and young children adapt far more easily than adults. From what I've gleaned on here about you from your posts you are a very caring mother so maybe if you try it for a couple of days you'll soon tell how they are coping. Then assess the situation again.

Avril 

• Like 1