P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

During the current crisis Cruise Critic are relaxing rules on off topic discussions - however it would be good to try and keep them on this thread rather than confuse threads on specific issues.

So, to start things off - Day 5 @ home. I am self-isolating as in the vulnerable group with health issues so lots of spring cleaning accomplished. Fortunately I am a weaver, well stocked with lots of yarns, so hope to finish lots of stock ready for Christmas !!  Loads of panic buying in this area so waiting to see how much of my booked Asda shopping I'll actually get come Wednesday 😞

• Like 4

We live in a village outside of Bristol so it is very quiet especially now the pubs and clubs are closed! We are sort of self isolating but like to go out for a walk every day and that's ok as we don't usually see anybody else. Loads of panic shopping going on at the supermarkets in Bristol but we get ours delivered by Waitrose and no problems so far. Keep in touch with friends and family by e:mail, phone and Facebook..

Peter and Jenny

Live on a lane in a small village and the increased footfall past my house is incredible.

In common with the rest of the country, there is a lot of (not terribly popular) house-building planned here - imagine that will go on hold right across the country; shame it didn't happen before they finished chopping down a large local wood on the same day Rishi Sunak announced plans to plant enough trees to cover an area the size of Birmingham. 

On Monday rightmove had 9 properties for sale in the village; today it is 3, so the estate agents must be panicking.

we live in a town and apart from Pubs being closed  and shop shelves being empty its business as usual ,  it seems no one is staying home and Mcdonalds is doing a roaring trade in the Drive Thru  take away and home delivery 

I live on the outer edge of a town with a population of around 90,000.  Hertfordshire has a relatively high number of Covid-19 cases - 61 in a population of around 1.1 million.  Not sure if the high incidence is related to being so close to London or that we have easy(ish) access to 5 airports!

The town centre was a little quiet when I went in for shopping on Thursday but not empty.  A number of shops had decided to close and, for instance, the branch of Costa Coffee had already closed to people sitting in and was offering take away only and by card payment only.

There was a fair range of foodstuffs available in Tesco but no eggs, no pasta, very little tinned produce and no toilet rolls!  I actually tried five shops for toilet roll (Tesco, B&M, Home Bargains, Wilko & Asda but none had a single roll).  Asda seemed to have more empty shelves than Tesco but that was just an impression I got - not empirical research 😃.  I wore gloves the whole time I was out.

I walked to my local food store this afternoon for some exercise and managed to get some good old sausage & mash for dinner tonight.  Pleased to see that they are limiting customers to only ONE each of bread, eggs, tissues, toilet roll (not that they had any!).  There were quite a few people walking around in family groups etc but most seemed to be keeping a fair distance from others.

I am lucky that I am on the edge of countryside for walks or can jump in the car for 5 minutes and go to the local Country Park.

So far things up here are fine, the shops have supplies and people are being fairly sensible about how much they buy. We all have winter store cupboards filled for the bad weather / snow anyway so no need to stockpile now as some appear to be doing elsewhere.

I really enjoy cooking and make lots of pickles, preserves, jams etc so we have a garage full of them! Normally they would go to the annual Daffodil tea at Church but even the Churches are closed! If things get worse I’m sure someone will be happy to eat them.

Yesterday was actually quite sunny here so lots of people out for walks enjoying the spring weather. We have lots of hills and green space so no fear of anyone getting too close. If anything this situation is making people even more friendly and chatty (from a distance) when they are out and about. 

Sharon what type of things do you weave? 

Hols4

Still getting tourists coming here in Snowdonia, local press reporting hundreds of people parking near the bottom of Mount Snowdon and walking up to the top despite being warned by mountain rescue that their resources are stretched at the minute due to volunteers off sick. Don't seen to care !

People are really cheery among the doom and gloom. If you need cheering up google the residents of Leith singing the Proclaimers “Sunshine on Leith”.

Im sure that there are other things happening like this right across the country.

Edited by Eglesbrech

Not too bad here, we are on the  edge of Stoke on Trent with plenty of green space within walking distance.  We went for a walk this morning and there were quite a few dog walkers out.  The only thing that I didn't manage to buy in Sainsburys this week was flour so I bought my first loaf of bread for over 11 years.  The shutting of pubs doesn't affect us since the pub was demolished a few years ago.  My biggest moan is that the BCGBA has said no bowling for the foreseeable future.

We are all surviving in Stoke on Trent. Been to Tatton Park today for a walk in the sunshine. The gardens were packed with people out with family enjoying the Spring sunshine. Probably not knowing what they will be able to do next week.

Not sure about the supermarkets as the job means we buy on line and by the time we leave there is not a lot left apparently. We are not joining in the frenzy re panic buying - so selfish.

Stay safe everyone

• Like 1

Car parks at a big out of town shopping centre are virtually empty where as they are normally heaving with cars.  Supermarket shelves were almost empty when we went shopping, unless you wanted chocolate.  If everybody is self isolating...who is buying all the goods at the shop😁😁.  I work in a bakery and it has gone slightly busy, our production has gone up by 200% to a point where we cannot cope.  Hope our cruise in September is still on as I will be ready for it.

I live in a village on the edge of a small market town in North Hampshire. The town is very quiet with everyone keeping their distance. I wear gloves if I have to go into a shop but we are not going anywhere beyond one food shop a week and the tip to get rid of garden waste. Aldi was busy on Tuesday but had most of what I needed, including stocks of toilet paper which I didn't buy. It is my birthday today, 65 years young, and we are having our first Chinese take away for many years as my treat. I sit on my lap top and read or watch TV and forget how the world is going mad but then it hits me again and it is all such a worry. My time will be filled with gardening, organising some photographs and clearing the house from top to bottom some of which I will sell on an on-line auction site. I also plan to make a photobook of the family history for each of my sons for their birthdays in July. 

Whilst gardening yesterday many people around my age walked past the end of the drive taking their daily exercise. It was good to chat to people (at a safe distance of course) and spirits seemed good.

Yesterday my sister rang from Arcadia and it was very good to hear her voice, I was quite tearful afterwards which again is a reflection of heightened emotions. She has no idea what she is returning to I'm afraid and it is so hard to explain.

Today I enjoyed an email from our church minister with weekly ideas for worship and a quiz to entertain me. There was also a leaflet I could print to give to any neighbours who may need help or support. This will be a regular item now the churches are closed.

I am a glass half full person and feel we will pull out of this but it will be a long haul and the country will take a while to recover.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Got back to the rock🇮🇲 from Barbados at lunchtime straight into self isolation as everyone arriving into the Island has to. Neighbours brought our car to the airport so we could drive ourselves home done the shopping for us,friends and family helping out as well amazing community spirit as always over here

• Like 4

We are on the edge of Southampton, where the Solent joins the river Hamble.

Our local farm shop, which we go to every Saturday, was absolutely packed with very large queues, but was well stocked. 

Walking along the Solent was absolutely packed, nobody self isolating, we steered clear. 

There is a lot of anxiety in the town for obvious reasons, the cruising industry and Flybe pay (paid) a lot of peoples wages and of course, the Hotels etc are suffering. 

Life goes on though, so stay safe and keep smiling,

Andy 

I work in admin for the NHS and on Thursday was sent home with an underlying condition. We had been very busy earlier in the week but now they’re cancelling the non urgent clinics we deal with.

I’m in North Kent and the shops are empty of many things, although we are ok for now.

Had a couple of meals out and evening wedding  receptions cancelled for the next few weeks.

Stay safe everyone.

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 2

We are on the coast in Lytham St Annes in Lancashire. 
Tesco was crazy earlier in the week with some empty shelves but or local shops, butchers and Farm Shop are all well stocked.

Apart from a bit of shopping & dog walking we are not going out . 
Going to FaceTime son, daughter & Grandchildren tomorrow instead of them coming over. 
Applied to P & O for a refund of our deposit for our cruise in July on medical grounds, just waiting to hear from them.

Michelle

• Like 1

We live on the edge of the countryside with a stream at the bottom of our garden.I'm feeling really grateful for living in a relatively peaceful location- we saw a kingfisher from our window yesterday.i am self isolating as i have a weakened auto immune system but feel for those living in flats or houses with no garden.Fortunately we do shopping online.Again I feel for those who don t already do this as a lot of supermarkets aren t taking new online customers.Cruising and holidays pale into insignificance with all that is going on in the world.Stay safe everyone

• Like 2

We are about 12 miles east of Manchester on the edge of the Pennines , went for our usual Sainsbury/M & S shop at 8am this morning and got everything we wanted bar Corn Flakes , spent the usual amount  and was back home after 1hr (4 mile drive each way) .

Cafe"s shut so we breakfasted at home , milk/toilet rolls available in M & S , generally plenty of foodstuff in both stores bar soup/beans/pasta .

Noticed all the beer/spirits shelves were empty .

Had a new grand daughter last week but not seen her since last Sunday as we are keeping our distance but getting plenty of pics via phone daily .

Going to cut the grass tomorrow for the 1st time , one of the neighbours is self isolating after a chest infection so his wife has to remain indoors as well .

Wife works at local school so she is back in on Monday providing care role for those children still attending .

• Like 1

We live in Stone, Staffordshire and we have visited Aldi, Morrisons locally and ASDA in Stafford this last couple of weeks and what we have seen has been very upsetting. ASDA was particularly upsetting it really looked as if a bomb had dropped on the shop and bought the situation home to us how serious this is. We havent stockpiled thinking it wouldnt be this bad in supermarkets but now we are now beginning to worry. Do not think we will starve but will probably eat some unusual meals and might have to get to like drinking tea without milk. My only real worry is that we havent seen a toilet roll in a shop for over a fortnight so that is my greatest concern. Always said I wouldnt wipe my backside on The Sun but might have to start doing it 😁.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Presto2 said:

We are all surviving in Stoke on Trent. Been to Tatton Park today for a walk in the sunshine. The gardens were packed with people out with family enjoying the Spring sunshine. Probably not knowing what they will be able to do next week.

Not sure about the supermarkets as the job means we buy on line and by the time we leave there is not a lot left apparently. We are not joining in the frenzy re panic buying - so selfish.

Stay safe everyone

Love Tatton Park but at the moment we can't venture anywhere near to Knutsford, an aunt who is 94 would be devastated if she thought that we were at Tatton and didn't visit but we don't want to risk visiting in case we expose her to anything.

• Like 1

We live in a village about 4 miles from Barnsley in Yorkshire. We've been having weekly Asda deliveries for a few years now and I have a regular slot booked. Do my order as usual, opt for subs and cross my fingers. It's fun when it arrives to see what we will be eating for a week. It's like a lucky dip. No rice, pasta, sugar, honey, tinned tomatoes or beans. Toilet roll I managed to get locally. We have all the panic buying here as well. It's ludicrous. 

We're spending our time tidying round the garden getting ready for planting the beans and  cleaning the greenhouse ready for the tomato plants to arrive. We're trying to keep things as normal as possible under the circumstances and making the best of what we've got. It's good chatting on here as well. Puts things into perspective. Stay well all.

Avril 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

We live in Stone, Staffordshire and we have visited Aldi, Morrisons locally and ASDA in Stafford this last couple of weeks and what we have seen has been very upsetting. ASDA was particularly upsetting it really looked as if a bomb had dropped on the shop and bought the situation home to us how serious this is. We havent stockpiled thinking it wouldnt be this bad in supermarkets but now we are now beginning to worry. Do not think we will starve but will probably eat some unusual meals and might have to get to like drinking tea without milk. My only real worry is that we havent seen a toilet roll in a shop for over a fortnight so that is my greatest concern. Always said I wouldnt wipe my backside on The Sun but might have to start doing it 😁.

We are in South Northants.

Didn't go out today as we are both supposed to be 'at risk' with COPD. My wife trawled around the 3 supermarkets in Towcester yesterday early on, managed to get most of what we think we need food wise to last maybe a week - perhaps a few strange concoctions though, like something out of Ready, Steady Cook.

Thursday was different when we went later in the day, not a lot to buy food wise. Empty shelves and anything in a tin, no chance!

We only have a standard 60/40 fridge freezer in the kitchen so can hardly stockpile.

Tried online ordering, again no chance, we did get one order through on Waitrose on Thursday for 21st April delivery! Now no slots available from any of the supermarkets.

16 minutes ago, NoFlyGuy said:

Now no slots available from any of the supermarkets.

And that's one of the key problems.  Those advised not to go out for health/age reasons have no real option but to shop online, but it's almost impossible to get a slot,  and if you do chances are half the stuff won't turn up because the shelves were stripped before the pickers got to them.

One solution would be to give priority to those who really have no other option, but that would involve quite an outcry from the ones pushed to the bottom of the queue. 

• Like 2